Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Underpanel (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98483-underpanel.html)

DannyJ7 07-05-2018 03:24 PM

Underpanel

So the factory under engine panel came loose on a trip to Cleveland and apparently dragged for a while before I noticed, so now it's junk. I'm also just not a big fan of plastic in these kind of applications. I have a few options I'm looking at:

1. Leave it off.
2. Pay the $202 required for the OEM kit and necessary parts to replace it.
3. See I I can make/have one made.

What should I do?

bargainguy 07-05-2018 03:52 PM

Many folks are just choosing to leave it off. If you do your own oil changes, you can take the extra few seconds to make sure the rear clips are properly secured. This is where you'd think the dealer would do a good job, but that would be too much to ask!

I had mine detach last year. Had an oil change at the dealer the day before. Just driving down the expressway at 70mph when all of a sudden, I get an impossible-to-ignore flapping sound and vibration, and it feels like it's coming through the steering column. Pull off the expressway and find the shield completely loose at the back, just hanging there. Stuffed what I could back in until I took it back to the dealer and kindly asked them to put it all back together.

evilchargerfan 07-05-2018 06:10 PM

in the name of mpg, id try to fix it

in my other cars, I leave that thing off

kenchan 07-05-2018 07:12 PM

some cars use the lower shroud to reinforce the front bumper rigidity, but that is definitely not the case with the GK so id just remove it entirely.

fitchet 07-06-2018 09:05 AM

I'd replace or fix it.
Which?
Would probably depend on how good I felt I was in fabrication and/or being able to repair it.
So personally in my case, it would probably result in my paying way too much for OEM replacement.
But if you feel confident in your ability to fix it.
Well, they come with under panels. So..I think it's better to have, than to NOT have.

2Rismo2 07-06-2018 09:21 AM

This guy fabbed one up and it looked good and functional: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1366032

DannyJ7 07-06-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1404686)
This guy fabbed one up and it looked good and functional: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1366032

That's not terribly different from what I was thinking. I think the techs over at Fox Honda haven't been great about resecuring the panel after oil changes, but also just NOT a fan of plastic for this application.

2Rismo2 07-06-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by DannyJ7 (Post 1404698)
That's not terribly different from what I was thinking. I think the techs over at Fox Honda haven't been great about resecuring the panel after oil changes, but also just NOT a fan of plastic for this application.

The only time I had an issue with it was when I let the dealership do their "free" for the first one. Of course they didn't attach it right and I found one of the metal screw nuts was missing. Since then, I've done my own oil changes and I haven't had a problem with missing screws. I've only replaced one of the plastic push pins at this point and that was early on, probably was mangled by that first oil change at the dealership...

DannyJ7 07-06-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1404700)
The only time I had an issue with it was when I let the dealership do their "free" for the first one. Of course they didn't attach it right and I found one of the metal screw nuts was missing. Since then, I've done my own oil changes and I haven't had a problem with missing screws. I've only replaced one of the plastic push pins at this point and that was early on, probably was mangled by that first oil change at the dealership...

Yep. Found some sheet aluminum available at home depot. It's VERY thin, but that should make it easier to cut and form...we shall see...

Helios 07-06-2018 11:59 AM

If you try to make one, get measurements or make a cardboard template and i can sketch it up and get a price to have the aluminum laser cut.

this is on my list of things to do, but you might beat me to it. I have a 2018 as well, so underpanel might be different because of the facelift.

DannyJ7 07-06-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Helios (Post 1404709)
If you try to make one, get measurements or make a cardboard template and i can sketch it up and get a price to have the aluminum laser cut.

this is on my list of things to do, but you might beat me to it. I have a 2018 as well, so underpanel might be different because of the facelift.

Laser cut isn't going to be happening. If I do it, and it's looking as though I will, it will be cut with an angle grinder, which I'm pretty good with. I'd rough cut, sand, then prime.

Fuelish 07-06-2018 04:30 PM

Ours was purchased CPO and it came already missing - didnt even know there was supposed to be one until I joined you fine folks ... have left it off, mpg is great. I think it's a (crappy) solution lookin' for a problem...and would seemingly complicate things if and when ya drop a small bit in the engine bay. I see no need

Press Fit 07-06-2018 05:04 PM

When my shield is no longer usable I plan to replace it with 4mm corrugated plastic sheet and wire-tie it in place. They make signs out of this material and it only costs just a few bucks per sheet at any art supply store. Trace your shield as a template while you still have it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...899129ebf3.jpg

kenchan 07-06-2018 07:06 PM

LOL... but signs dont go 75mph. oh wait, neither does my GK..!

wasserball 07-07-2018 12:46 AM

Splash guard, aerodynamic skirt, underpanel, call it what you want. All it does is to temporary hide dripping oil from the main seals or oil pan. That's why the official Honda name is undercover. It covers up dripping oil, at least until it can't hold anymore. That's it. It is a cosmetic piece to make the engine area looking complete and tidy. It is like your wisdom teeth. You don't need it. Again, my undercover became a museum piece after the first oil change. :)

DannyJ7 07-09-2018 12:24 PM

Well for now, listening to the votes and just leaving it off.