3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

fuel injectors and catalytic converter problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:21 AM
fuel injectors and catalytic converter problems

Last summer the check engine light went on in my 2015 Fit. Honda found code P0420 and told me I needed a new catalytic converter. It wasn't a big deal to me at the time because it was entirely covered by warranty.

Now less than a year later, my car has a misfire, the light goes on again. Honda finds the same code, but now there is a TSB suggesting that the issue is actually fuel injectors. I am 5,000 miles out of warranty on them and it's going to cost me $2,000 to replace it all. Has anyone else had these issues?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:44 AM
I'm assuming this is the TSB: https://honda.oemdtc.com/TSB/A16-034.pdf

In that they say to check for eligibility for 15-060 recall, which is here: https://honda.oemdtc.com/Recall/JT9/A15-060.pdf

I would verify you already had that recall done. If you are stuck paying out of pocket, perhaps look at an outside shop? Looks like the injectors can be had for $661 (see link here: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-5r1-315.html). Our engines are direct injection, so i don't know what the replacement procedure is like on them.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:15 PM
That seems similar, but the TBS is actually 18-027
"Service bulletin - The MIL is on and DTC P0420 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold) is set. Faulty fuel injectors in one or more cylinders may be affecting combustion and causing a false DTC P0420."

And my fit has no recalls, so I am looking around at costs. Thank you though!

Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
The chances are that the original problem wasn't fully diagnosed and the catalytic converter failure was actually caused by bad fuel injectors which should have been replaced at the same time. Contact Honda directly and try and make the argument that the fuel injectors should be replaced under warranty since the original problem, which occurred while the car was under warranty, was never fully diagnosed or repaired and has now shown up again.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM
This is wild. Everything you are experiencing lines up with me, I literally took in my honda this morning to receive a 2k bill after my engine light went on two days ago.

the only difference being, I bought my car with one previous owner and it is a 2016. I found out today that right before the owner sold it last summer, the catalytic converter had been replaced under warranty.

Something must be up here. My car was supposedly in basically new condition when purchased and I have maintained it well. Every person I’ve spoke with has been confused as to how these parts could possibly go out so early, even the mechanics.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Wow.

Yeah I knew something didn't make sense with this.
I opened a ticket with Honda arguing that the cost of my fuel injectors be covered under warranty as they seem to have been the original problem. We shall see what Honda has to say. The more people that say something about it, maybe they will recognize it as an actual problem.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:49 PM
UPDATE:

I contacted Honda and they are doing everything for a $250 deductible. I'll take it. Thank you to everyone for giving me the confidence to write to them!! You saved me like $1,600!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:44 PM
I actually had the same thing happen to me. 50,000 miles and I had to have my injectors replaced. I drove it and fought with them through various social media accounts (twitter was the most appropriate) and they ended up doing the fuel injector replacement job for $200.

I'm not excited to see someone else go through this. And my GK is at 95500 miles right now and it's starting to idle hard. .

Definitely not a good sign.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing this good info folks. So i plan on doing the fuel injectors replacement myself. Can anyone confirm if there are any other additional components i need to complete the repair? Can anyone whos gotten the job done thru the dealer check the repair receipt to check part numbers? Thanks for the help guys! My car has 71,300mi, and had this issue for 7 months now... time to fix it!

Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Woof came through! Fingers crossed that the 2017 LX doesn't have injector problems.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by cmbg
Last summer the check engine light went on in my 2015 Fit. Honda found code P0420 and told me I needed a new catalytic converter. It wasn't a big deal to me at the time because it was entirely covered by warranty.

Now less than a year later, my car has a misfire, the light goes on again. Honda finds the same code, but now there is a TSB suggesting that the issue is actually fuel injectors. I am 5,000 miles out of warranty on them and it's going to cost me $2,000 to replace it all. Has anyone else had these issues?
Had same issue. Check engine light on at 22,000 miles. Dealer said light went off before they could read it and blamed us saying we probably put E85 fuel in it (which we didn’t. We aren’t that stupid).

A few thousand miles later, light came on again. They said code read failed catalytic converter. They said Honda was recording this issue in several fits, so they replaced it under warranty.

At around 37,000 miles, light came back on. This time they said fuel injectors, and Honda has started using a different part number so the issue shouldn’t return. All fuel injectors changed under warranty for a cost of about $1000 or so if I remember.

It is an issue, but after you change them, you should be okay. I was about to sell my wife’s if they didn’t have a fix because this was getting ridiculous. Didn’t want to have the warranty go out then spend $1000 every 20,000 miles or something.

Our model was an early 2016 Fit that was built in Japan due to Mexico plant switchover for HRV introduction.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm. My 2016 sputtered hard once and the CE light came on. It has gone away though. I was going to take it into the shop to see if the code was stored.

Should I not bother, if the light is now off?

Steve

Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Since you're presumably still under warranty it's worth looking in to. You could wait though until you are there for other reasons like an oil change rather than make a special trip for this.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Duh. that makes good sense Woof. I was jumping the gun a bit. I only have about 5K miles of warranty left so was trying to be a little too proactive.

Steve

Old 09-22-2018, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cmbg

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but most emission parts are covered by a much longer warranty, like 15 years or 150,000 miles. A friend paid Honda to replace her catalytic converter when it was actually covered by this warranty. I posted a link to a PDF from Honda which shows that extended coverage. I found it again. See below.
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/...L32586.pdfHere

Everyone should print this list and carry it in their car. The Fit is a PZEV vehicle.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but most emission parts are covered by a much longer warranty, like 15 years or 150,000 miles. A friend paid Honda to replace her catalytic converter when it was actually covered by this warranty. I posted a link to a PDF from Honda which shows that extended coverage. I found it again. See below.
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/...L32586.pdfHere

Everyone should print this list and carry it in their car. The Fit is a PZEV vehicle.
That link doesn't work 404 Error

Old 09-22-2018, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Geez. This is just freaking embarrassing re Honda quality. Is this an engineering or supplier quality control problem? Buy a car like that and one would struggle to maintain any brand loyalty ..

Old 09-22-2018, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Honda fixed the problem by re-designing the fuel injectors and assigning it a new part number so one would assume that this was an original fuel injector design flaw which got through, and not a subsequent manufacturing quality problem. It happens. Problem is that Honda should be issuing an extended warranty on the 2015 and maybe early 2016 faulty, fuel injectors because the problem might not show up until after the original warranty is over and they haven't done that. I guess we're going to be seeing more posts on this problem as it turns up in the remaining 2015 cars which haven't been fixed yet and we'll be seeing frustration and anger as Honda starts refusing to accept any responsibility ($$$) because, you know, the original warranty period is over .......

Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 PM
I have a 2016 Ex trim fit at 55k miles, bought in May of 2016... of course out of warranty, and for the second time lights came up for misfire in cylinder 3 (P0303). First time, Honda diagnosed it to be the ignition coil, but even after replacing there were misfires, after about a month and a half (this past december) the lights come on again, same cylinder, and I and my instructors for automotive diagnosed it to be fuel injectors. Honda is pricing it somewhere in the $1k to replace them after I came to them about it. Looking at this thread, its something that many people are having problems with. Currently stuck until I have the money to get it replaced, having to drive it while it misfires like crazy. Is there anything I can do? This seems like something they should recall but decided to just milk it out of us customers...

Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firestar101
I have a 2016 Ex trim fit at 55k miles, bought in May of 2016... of course out of warranty, and for the second time lights came up for misfire in cylinder 3 (P0303). First time, Honda diagnosed it to be the ignition coil, but even after replacing there were misfires, after about a month and a half (this past december) the lights come on again, same cylinder, and I and my instructors for automotive diagnosed it to be fuel injectors. Honda is pricing it somewhere in the $1k to replace them after I came to them about it. Looking at this thread, its something that many people are having problems with. Currently stuck until I have the money to get it replaced, having to drive it while it misfires like crazy. Is there anything I can do? This seems like something they should recall but decided to just milk it out of us customers...
I'm very disappointed with Honda - sales, service, parts, and reliability. My dealer wanted to replace the injectors on my son's 2015, and that's after spending over $700 to get the Check Engine light turned off (P0171). The light came back on two weeks after it passed the State inspection. Fortunately, the car was totaled, so he didn't have to spend another $1,000.

I would ask around about a good independent mechanic and get an estimate from him. Maybe it doesn't even need injectors, but that was the first thing Honda mentioned when the P0171 showed up. One thing I learned: be sure to use Honda parts. I put a $30 MAF sensor in the car, but we still got the warning light. After spending $300 for the Honda MAF, the light stayed out long enough to get the car inspected. It's a known fact that the injectors used in the 2015 Fit were not very good, but Honda still makes you pay to replace them.

I had two Civics for 17 years each, and they gave me less trouble than these two 2015 Fits.

Quick Reply: fuel injectors and catalytic converter problems