Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Low fuel rail pressure p0087, fixed itself, any ideas (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98559-low-fuel-rail-pressure-p0087-fixed-itself-any-ideas.html)

andy342 07-11-2018 02:51 PM

Low fuel rail pressure p0087, fixed itself, any ideas

Car went into limp mode the other day. Engine lights on etc. Girlfriend got towed home by AAA.

Torque app showed P0087. Fuel rail showed about 36psi give or take. I pulled out the in tank pump, took it apart, no signs of anything clogged, seems to pump fine using isopropyl and then gas.

Reinstalled the pump, cleared the code, started the car and burped the throttle a couple of times. Rail pressure was 500psi at idle, jumping to 750 to 1000 as the revs picked up.

Has anyone worked on the direct injection systems on these cars? Nobody likes a problem that magically fixes itself.

Will do a test drive in a couple hours.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks

ezone 07-11-2018 07:26 PM

Code sets when the high pressure pump can't build sufficient pressure in the fuel rail, or sensor readings indicate to the PCM that situation may have occurred.

Got freeze frame data you can post?

If it runs out of gas and the engine stalled because of it, it will definitely set the code.

If it's very low on gas it could happen if the in-tank pump cavitates or starves long enough to interrupt the supply to the HP pump and rail pressure drops (below a threshold) for longer than about 3 seconds.

If either of these could have been the case, just add more fuel, clear the codes and drive it.

If you saw 36 psi with just the key on and the in-tank pump ran its 2 second prime, that's probably normal until you start the engine and the HP pump can build pressure.

Yea, intermittent issues can really suck to figure out if it's not acting up while you're checking it out, especially when it's a real problem.

HTH

andy342 07-12-2018 12:06 AM

I saw 36psi with the car running at idle in my driveway.

ezone 07-12-2018 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by andy342 (Post 1405464)
I saw 36psi with the car running at idle in my driveway.

Well that isn't right, but getting it to act up again long enough to figure out what's going on will be the hard part.

Still under warranty?

If you erased the codes they won't have anything at all to work with. It will have to set the code again.

CommanderSlug 07-19-2018 08:12 PM

Maybe it's just a hiccup. The fuel pump you took out is probably the low pressure pump. I ran out of gas once ... no codes thrown.

James Butler 07-20-2018 10:08 AM

andy342

how do you reset the limp mode code. Scanner ? what kind or disconnect battery.

ezone 07-20-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by James Butler (Post 1406437)
how do you reset the limp mode code. Scanner ? what kind or disconnect battery.

Either way.
Any code reader should also be able to erase powertrain codes.

Honda allows you to clear powertrain codes by disconnecting the battery or removing power from the PCM.

But if the problem is still present then of course the code(s) and associated issues will be present again too.

EDIT: This might not apply to all situations and codes.

vinylengraver 07-20-2018 10:44 AM

Plus, if the issue is hard to replicate and/or intermittent, when you erase the code before taking the car for service you possibly leave them with nothing to work with.
I am not sure if this PCM has a stored codes/shadow codes feature.
My previous car would store so called "shadow codes" that could only be read with specialized OEM diagnostic equipment, off-the-shelf code reader would show nothing.

James Butler 07-20-2018 12:22 PM

When I went in limp mode I disconnected the battery for about 20-30 minutes and still in limp mode. Dealership told me it takes a special Honda diagnostic tool to reset limp mode. They claim their readers hooks straight to PCM not OBD2 port. Nothing wrong with Fit except limp mode triggered. Car was at Dealership all day. Just looking for a way to reset it if it happens again. Next time I plan to go straight to Autozone and tell them if their code reader will reset it I will buy the code reader from them.

ezone 07-20-2018 12:37 PM

They claim their readers hooks straight to PCM not OBD2 port.
Fake news.

The interface unit for using the Honda HDS and IHDS scanner program connects to OBD port just like any other.