Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Emergency brake question (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98673-emergency-brake-question.html)

nicholasG 07-26-2018 04:37 PM

Emergency brake question

I heard that if you start driving with the emergency brake on you get a warning sound. I put my car in reverse and just started moving before I realized that I had the emergency brake on and I diidn't hear anything.

Fuelish 07-26-2018 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by nicholasG (Post 1407285)
I heard that if you start driving with the emergency brake on you get a warning sound. I put my car in reverse and just started moving before I realized that I had the emergency brake on and I diidn't hear anything.

Where did you "hear" this.....did you perhaps read it, like, in the owners manual? I have no idea, but then again, have never put a car in motion with the parking brake on, so, I have no idea....just sayin'

nicholasG 07-26-2018 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fuelish (Post 1407288)
Where did you "hear" this.....did you perhaps read it, like, in the owners manual? I have no idea, but then again, have never put a car in motion with the parking brake on, so, I have no idea....just sayin'

I remember watching a review on YouTube before I bought the car where the guy mentioned this. I looked through the PDF manual and didn't find anything. That's why the question.

kenchan 07-26-2018 07:34 PM

mine beeps

2Rismo2 07-26-2018 08:03 PM

You will get an audio warning if you drive with the parking brake on.

fitchet 07-26-2018 08:22 PM

What's the gap between starting to move, and the audio warning?
I've never heard it.
But the few times I've started to go, and noticed the Emergency Brake was on, I almost immediately release it.
So I suppose it could have a warning signal but I've always caught myself before it sounde

bach 07-26-2018 08:31 PM

it takes a second or two to kick in ... if you want to hear what it sounds like, hold down the button and raise the handle slightly, it doesn't take much.

Action Jackson 07-26-2018 08:53 PM

It will beep, but it's very faint.

GolNat 07-26-2018 10:47 PM

Hand brake turn in the snow and it will come on :)

ezone 07-26-2018 11:22 PM

I put my car in reverse and just started moving before I realized that I had the emergency brake on and I diidn't hear anything.
Your arm is too weak to apply the brake correctly??? If you lifted up the parking brake handle when you parked the car but you can still move the car, you have a much bigger problem than worrying about the warning sounds.

Ok. Real answer: I think you have to go above a certain speed before the warning beeper starts talking to you. On my Civic it's something like around 4 MPH.
FWIW I lift my handbrake just one click before I turn the key on so the DRLs don't turn on in my garage and driveway. Once I'm on the road I put the parking brake handle all the way down.

andre181 07-27-2018 04:26 PM

My 2015 Fit would talk "Please release the parking brake".

It was the same voice that would say "please fasten driver seat belt" if I pulled out of my garage unbuckled.

fitchet 07-27-2018 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by bach (Post 1407339)
it takes a second or two to kick in ... if you want to hear what it sounds like, hold down the button and raise the handle slightly, it doesn't take much.

I'll have to try this test.
I know I have on very rare occasion just started to move and noticed my parking brake was on, but I notice because of the feel of the vehicle. Maybe in those incidences I was releasing the brake fast enough to stop the alarm?
Because I don't remember getting any warning beep. But it is possible it was drowned out by the radio, outside noise, or so quick and subtle I didn't notice it.

kenchan 07-28-2018 06:25 AM

yah just gently pull up while moving forward to test. it should beep.

Originally Posted by andre181 (Post 1407448)
My 2015 Fit would talk "Please release the parking brake".

It was the same voice that would say "please fasten driver seat belt" if I pulled out of my garage unbuckled.

i think dat was maybe ur mom? lol

Cichlid_visuals 07-28-2018 07:52 AM

Hmm, strange. I only hear that noise on the sharper corners... 😂

CommanderSlug 07-28-2018 04:40 PM

I used to drive with the parking brake on (former car) all the time. I did not know how else to disable the daytime running lights. Luckily no warning lights.

vinylengraver 07-28-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by CommanderSlug (Post 1407569)
I used to drive with the parking brake on (former car) all the time. I did not know how else to disable the daytime running lights. Luckily no warning lights.

Now I get it.
Surely you jest.
Like all the time.
Right?

fitchet 07-29-2018 09:15 AM

Well, I tried the test. I heard nothing.

CommanderSlug 07-29-2018 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by vinylengraver (Post 1407582)
Now I get it.
Surely you jest.
Like all the time.
Right?

There's a bit of truth to everything I say. After my sister gave me said vehicle (she crashed it first on a hwy ramp), i fixed it and the parking brake needed some serious adjustment... so the first inch or so was practically slack, doing nothing, so after discovering that it disables drl, I felt like I won the jackpot and left it as is.

kenchan 07-29-2018 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by fitchet (Post 1407643)
Well, I tried the test. I heard nothing.

ur car is broken or didnt come with it..? odd

andre181 07-29-2018 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1407525)
yah just gently pull up while moving forward to test. it should beep.

i think dat was maybe ur mom? lol

Definitely not. My mom is not that nice lol

If I remember correctly, there was a setting on the HU to turn it on or off. I have no idea what it was called. Maybe Voice Reminder or something. But it turned on/off the spoken seat belt and e brake alerts.