Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Water LEAKS (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98789-water-leaks.html)

DArkk 12-09-2014 10:38 AM

Front Passenger floor is wet??

As many of you know that we've had some heavy rains last week in Northern California and I just noticed how wet the floor in the front passenger area is.

I didn't notice anything until I had to put something there and then I felt it. At first I thought maybe it was very cold but soon as I got to work and pulled up the floor mat it was dripping. The rear and driver side are fine. Hardly anyone sits there.

I didn't see anything that could be dripping form underneath the dash as thinking might be an issue with AC not draining? So going to dry the mat and floorboard.

Keeping an eye in this area. I hope there isn't a leak in the firewall or somewhere around the frame because it's going to suck to get it fixed by Honda under warranty.

GeorgeL 12-09-2014 03:05 PM

If the wetness appeared with the rain it is probably an issue with a seal leaking. If it were AC condensate it would be worst when the AC was used most.

It might be the drain if water managed to get in through the cowl vents and overwhelmed the capacity of the drain. That's not likely, though.

Dry it out with a fan ASAP, you don't want the carpets moldy of the metal underneath rusty. The next time it is in the rain keep a close eye on it and try to figure out where water first appears. That can give a better clue to what is wrong.

DArkk 12-09-2014 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeL (Post 1281693)
If the wetness appeared with the rain it is probably an issue with a seal leaking. If it were AC condensate it would be worst when the AC was used most.

It might be the drain if water managed to get in through the cowl vents and overwhelmed the capacity of the drain. That's not likely, though.

Dry it out with a fan ASAP, you don't want the carpets moldy of the metal underneath rusty. The next time it is in the rain keep a close eye on it and try to figure out where water first appears. That can give a better clue to what is wrong.

Yep, I used entire roll of paper towel to soak up the water and got most what I could.

Went back down few hours later and can see serious dampness on the carpet. Soon as I get home going to use several towels to get the water out and hair dryer.

I've made an appt with the service dept to take a look at this. Lousy timing as heavy rainstorms predicted this week! :(

tbFit 12-09-2014 10:05 PM

My first honda, a '76 CVCC had some sort of flaw or leak from the front scoop that ended up on the passenger floor... I hope you solve this, keep us posted.

DArkk 12-09-2014 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by tbFit (Post 1281760)
My first honda, a '76 CVCC had some sort of flaw or leak from the front scoop that ended up on the passenger floor... I hope you solve this, keep us posted.

Thanks. I am hoping it's something simple as a grommet they forgot to install or some rubber piece loose.

It took another roll of paper towels tonight to soak up the remaining water. I was like my god this car can really "Fit" anything large and excess in it!! lol

Hopefully I caught this in time before rust issues. Praying!!

noneterry 12-10-2014 02:52 AM

Is you GK5 with sunroof? Is sunroof at blame for this incident?

DArkk 12-10-2014 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by noneterry (Post 1281801)
Is you GK5 with sunroof? Is sunroof at blame for this incident?

I won't know for sure until tomorrow morning when I take it to the dealership for inspection. I've pressure washed the car several times before and it never leaked so something might be under the hood that is causing it.

HondaCustSvc 12-10-2014 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DArkk (Post 1281651)
As many of you know that we've had some heavy rains last week in Northern California and I just noticed how wet the floor in the front passenger area is.

I didn't notice anything until I had to put something there and then I felt it. At first I thought maybe it was very cold but soon as I got to work and pulled up the floor mat it was dripping. The rear and driver side are fine. Hardly anyone sits there.

I didn't see anything that could be dripping form underneath the dash as thinking might be an issue with AC not draining? So going to dry the mat and floorboard.

Keeping an eye in this area. I hope there isn't a leak in the firewall or somewhere around the frame because it's going to suck to get it fixed by Honda under warranty.

Darkk,

Sorry to hear about this. I have done some research and found that vehicles with sunroofs have drain channels that divert water away from the sunroof. If the amount of water entering the flow channels exceed its ability to clear the water then leakage may occur. This usually occurs during torrential downpour.

In any event, if this continues to persist, please visit your local Honda dealership for a diagnosis. If you need further assistance with the dealership please do not hesitate to contact us via PM. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jonathan

noneterry 12-10-2014 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by HondaCustSvc (Post 1281882)
Darkk,

Sorry to hear about this. I have done some research and found that vehicles with sunroofs have drain channels that divert water away from the sunroof.

Glad I got a non-sunroofed model. Sunroof has always been a timebomb especially in area like Vancouver.

DArkk 12-11-2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by HondaCustSvc (Post 1281882)
Darkk,

Sorry to hear about this. I have done some research and found that vehicles with sunroofs have drain channels that divert water away from the sunroof. If the amount of water entering the flow channels exceed its ability to clear the water then leakage may occur. This usually occurs during torrential downpour.

In any event, if this continues to persist, please visit your local Honda dealership for a diagnosis. If you need further assistance with the dealership please do not hesitate to contact us via PM. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the follow up. I took the car to the local dealership this morning and explained what's been going on. It took them about 30 minutes to locate and fix the problem. Apparently the drain tube wasn't connected to the AC's condenser. So all of that water was leaking onto the front passenger floor. I guess the drip was out of reach under the dash that I didn't see it otherwise I would have fixed it myself.

I did express concern about the possibility of stale smell and black mold. The service department told me if that is happening bring the car back and they will make a case with Honda to get it resolved. So hopefully I caught this in time and removed the water before it starts. It does smell a little stale but I am hoping the next few days it'll go away. They vacuumed much of the water they could and I think they added some deodorizer which is fine. Black mold is concern that I have to keep eye out for.

Thanks for reaching out to me on this and I will certainly let you know if this still an issue.

Regards

P.S. It's a huge relief for me as it's not the rubber seals on the car. Yes I do have a moonroof and checked it carefully for any leaks which didn't have any.

Vanguard 12-11-2014 02:53 PM

I am with you on the black mold concern. That stuff is deadly!

DArkk 12-12-2014 09:43 PM

Floor is finally dry but I smell a little bit of stale air. Hopefully it'll go away soon.

Vanguard 12-12-2014 10:06 PM

Time for Febreze?

DArkk 12-13-2014 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vanguard (Post 1282166)
Time for Febreze?

Pretty much. :rotfl:

Someone even suggested Lysol. :rotfl:

Vanguard 12-13-2014 03:35 PM

Just don't use whatever air freshener you use in the bathroom, or you will constantly be reminded of "that"!

Lane03 12-13-2014 07:38 PM

Try using Ozium for the smell.

Vanguard 12-14-2014 12:13 PM

Ozium....I had to look this up, since I have never heard of it before.

Reduces airborne bacteria. Eliminates smoke and odors. Ozium Glycol-ized Air Sanitizer was originally developed to combat airborne bacteria and germs in hospitals and health care facilities. Now it''s available for your home, car, office and boat use. Ozium Glycol-ized Air Sanitizer is a unique product that cleans the air you breathe. It is clinically proven to eliminate odors, unlike current fragrance products that just mask odors. Ozium Glycol-ized Air Sanitizer combats airborne contaminants and eliminates odors with glycol-ized action - dispensing micron sized particles that linger in the air and attach to airborne bacteria and odors to drastically reduce air pollution, deodorizes, purify and sanitize the air. Eliminates Problem Odors From: Smoke; Mildew; Sinks and drains; Kitchens; Bathrooms; Basements; Bedrooms; Dining rooms; Living rooms; Kennels; Mobile homes; Campers; Sick rooms; Garbage; Storage areas; Offices; Nurseries; Locker rooms; Garages; Closets; Hampers; Game rooms; Studios; Cabins; Workshops; Suitcases; Bars; After fire; Gym; Cars; Offices; Boats. Protecting our future - No CFCs. Made in the USA.

DArkk 12-14-2014 04:16 PM

I've used it before years ago. Works pretty well. Going to pick up some this week.

Hondaguy21 12-15-2014 04:16 PM

Tip

If it's just water, keep your eye on it. If the liquid smells, definitely keep your eye on it. One time there was a crack in the heating core of my car that can leak antifreeze. In this case, you will want to take your vehicle in to repair. You'll know by the smell and the color if this is the case. I hope for the best!

Mbalcorta 12-28-2015 10:52 PM

water leak behind driver seat

Bought a brand new 2015 honda fit EX which has a sunroof in February and I decided to vacuum the car last week and found it very wet under my rubber mats. This is the first rainy season this car has experienced and its having similar symptoms as other previous models like in this post here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ack-seats.html. I'm irritated to be dealing with this issue!!!!Please post and let me know if you've had a similar experience or have even checked their floor mats. Thanks!