3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Water LEAKS

Old 02-12-2019, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I appreciate the link, but I just resealed the vapor barriers on the door. Definitely not that.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
what if the seal failed and is still the cause?

Old 02-12-2019, 03:14 PM
I guess that is possible, but Honda put on a brand new vapor barrier, scraped off all the adhesive, put on new adhesive etc. and the car was still leaking a week later. I'd be pretty shocked if the seal failed in a week. Temps were in the mid 60s so no baking of the glue in the sun.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Might want to double check the sunroof drain. There are 4 drains if you can believe it! You can see some details on AJ's thread: Action Jackson's tinkering

Sorry about the troubles, sounds like a lot of it was caused by an inept dealership.
Action Jackson took apart his head liner, and noted a little gasket that failed. At this point, its a wild guess ... but I would give it a shot, take apart head liner, go for a car wash, put some taped up napkins at each drain, and see which one(s) may get wet ....

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1400716

Old 02-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Took the headliner and side panel off today and no signs of water leaking anywhere from the top. Taking it back to Honda tomorrow after discussing the situation with their service manager. I'm going to give them one more shot to fix this before I get a CX5.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Actually that white piece of plastic is for the rear pillar lights.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
I took off door panel of rear driver side door and had the same problem as in video. I put a piece of plastic behind the speaker kind of like a shower curtain and also resealed the speaker. So far so good. I was wondering if a few drain holes in top center of door seal and also at bottom would work. Any thoughts?

Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 PM
My 2018 gets a wet floor after a rain or car wash, I'm going to let the dealer have a go at it before I start pulling things apart - I don't mind tinkering, but this is what my warranty is for. I'm giving him all the info I've found on this site as well, just to see if they'll go above and beyond and cover some of those trouble spots. FYI - puppy training pads are great at soaking up that water until you have time to repair.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
I am getting water in center of gasket and then into car on front passenger door now that I am looking for it. I am seriously thinking about a few holes in center channel and a few on bottom facing out. If any water gets in center channel it should drain out bottom. Only thing is I don't know how much the gasket gets smashed when door is closed. Water would probably still find the holes I would think.
Any thoughts,
D

Old 02-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Infamous Waterleak issue...

As of right now, my '18 Sport is currently at the dealership bodyshop for the water leakage into the interior. Mine happens to come through the trim panel under the speaker enclosure for both front doors and rear passenger doors.

​​​​​​Dropped it off last Thursday and received a call this morning and was told "they see where it's leaking from, but don't have a solution. We will get a Honda Field Rep involved to take a look in the next few days. "

So I'm out on a car for the week and according to them, don't have a loaner car option for this obvious warranty issue.

​​​​​​If this gets resolved, hopefully I've added fuel to the recall fire or at least a TSB. From what I understand, international Jazz models had a TSB and fix while the North American Fits did not.

Keep you guys posted....

Old 02-18-2019, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Honda in North America at least seems to be taking a very hard line on recalls these days.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 PM
How did you discover your Fit was leaking?

Im curious l because I recently bought a used 2016 EX and started suspecting a leak in the interior because the humidity and condensation on the glass after a rain seemed a bit much.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Just curious, have you contacted Honda corporate about this, or are you dealing with it only at the dealer level?

If it were me, I'd like to have corporate explain how a new car with an obvious defect is going to spend a week in the shop on my dime and not be provided a loaner car. It's one thing for a dealer to say, sorry, it's Honda's policy on this issue. But it's quite something different when the policymakers themselves have to explain their actions, or in this case, lack thereof. I'd be very interested in hearing that explanation.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 PM
I contacted American Honda immediately after speaking with the dealer only to inquire their policy regarding warranty repairs and loaner/rental provisions. According to Honda Corp. they do not provide a loaner or rental even though a few months ago, on an unrelated service (Head unit replacement), my dealership provided me with a rental.
I believe loaners and rental services are dealer specific.

As far as Honda Corp. knowing about my repair, I did not make a claim with them about the water leak only because i'm giving my dealership a chance to rectify the issue. I was told that a "Honda Field Rep" would be called in (I assume a corporate agent of some sort) and to provide direction on how the repair should be handled.

I'm just letting the folks out there with leak issues past and present that there might be some hope in regards of a fix. That DIYs are all good, but having the dealer officially recognize the issue is better than them telling me that they can't replicate the leak.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
I got fed up and used latex caulking on the speaker. I know from experience that the latex stuff doesn't stick exceptionally well, like a silicone, so it won't be too hard to deal with in the future.

I still need to find some of that black tar junk the factory uses and I'll take a few minutes to do the plastic junk... It's critical that the flexible rubber stuff aligns with the drain holes. This way, whatever gets into the plastic can run down, and then back inside the door.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Seems reasonable, let us know how it works out. I hope Honda comes through for you.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
black tar junk is butyl

Old 02-19-2019, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
The door should be able to drain properly even without the plastic sheeting. Imo, you are looking at a design flaw here.

Eventually, sooner or later, water in the doors will mean rust forms. I know that's not what anybody wants to hear but I'd either start to accept it or think about getting out of the car before it happens

Old 02-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Just got it back today. It spent a week at their body shop because they actually removed the entire carpet so it can dry.
The issue was the opaque plastic barrier failed to seal properly to the door frame. The solution was from them to reseal and add more of that butyl rubber sealant to better seal the plastic barrier. They also used the same butyl type rubber for the remaining open holes.
Washed the car when getting home and even let the hose run over the windows for a few minutes.... so far, no water accumulation on the door sills so it looks like the fix is holding.

I didn't think it could have been the plastic barrier, but the rain residue just showed how much was collecting. I firmly believe it is a design flaw from Honda. The curvature of the inner door structure and the size of the hole could easily had been better redesigned. Along with some QC issues. It was bound to happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water LEAKS