3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner

Do any of you have any experience with CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner? Our 2015 Fit (84,000 mi) has the Ck Eng light on, and the dealer says it's because of carbon build-up. They cleaned the intake system ($300), and now they want to replace the injectors ($1,700). Looking online, this CRC product seems to clean the valves. I'm going to a good local mechanic tomorrow to see what he says.

CRC Intake Valve Cleaner

Old 09-09-2018, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Dealers I know like the BG induction service. Probably for padding their pockets, but maybe it helps.

Problem is that none of this stuff will help if the problem is that the injectors have actually failed. Sadly, that seems likely since Honda has a TSB for faulty injectors on 2015's.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Had to add...maybe start with a scope job to see if it's even carbon fouled? That would give you an idea of the direction to head.

If fouled, clean using whatever method.
If not fouled, buy new injectors.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:43 PM
being that there was a catch can craze here on fitfreak a couple of weeks ago, i was getting ready to jump aboard and ensure that my Fit too, was optimized for a long and healthy life.

so i was going to buy some of the CRC cleaner you listed. i try to research most of my purchases, regardless of cost. i was curious as to where the junk that would be cleaned off the valves would go. ...and came across some information online that stated the CRC may not be so safe to use. ideally you spray the cleaner into a vacuum line, it cleans the valves, the crud from your valves makes it way to the oil pan, and finally you change the oil with the crud in it.

BUT on its journey to the oil pan is where the cleaning method is flawed. though your valves are clean, all the crap that came off them is now possibly lodged between the cylinder and its walls, scoring and scraping them.

unfortunately i think the only way to do it right is have the head removed and have them blasted.

injector wise, maybe you can try a fuel additive and reset the computer. i periodically use the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant in my car. Big bottle at walmart is super cheap.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Do any of you have any experience with CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner? Our 2015 Fit (84,000 mi) has the Ck Eng light on, and the dealer says it's because of carbon build-up. They cleaned the intake system ($300), and now they want to replace the injectors ($1,700). Looking online, this CRC product seems to clean the valves. I'm going to a good local mechanic tomorrow to see what he says.

CRC Intake Valve Cleaner
This might come abit late but i just used the CRC cleaner and found my idling throttle position to drop to 14.5% from 15.1%.
The Long Term fuel trim also went back to -7% from -1.5%. When i got the car new, it was ard -7% to -8%

Performance wise, my butt cannot tell if there's any difference. My mileage is 25,500km and the car did not have any problem. I figure that prevention is better than cure so i purchased a can to try out.

If anyone out there has experience with the CRC cleaner, pls do give your feedback on your experience.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JingJangJoe
This might come abit late but i just used the CRC cleaner and found my idling throttle position to drop to 14.5% from 15.1%.
The Long Term fuel trim also went back to -7% from -1.5%. When i got the car new, it was ard -7% to -8%

Performance wise, my butt cannot tell if there's any difference. My mileage is 25,500km and the car did not have any problem. I figure that prevention is better than cure so i purchased a can to try out.

If anyone out there has experience with the CRC cleaner, pls do give your feedback on your experience.
Thanks for that. Fortunately, that 2015 Fit was totaled, and my son bought a 2019. So far, so good.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by JingJangJoe

where did you spray the cleaner?? I’m thinking about drilling a hole on my plastic intake manifold past the MAF. Did you remove my vacuum lines?? Which one??

Old 12-27-2020, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YellowCake
where did you spray the cleaner?? I’m thinking about drilling a hole on my plastic intake manifold past the MAF. Did you remove my vacuum lines?? Which one??
i just remove the pcv hose and spray directly into the manifold

Old 12-27-2020, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YellowCake
No drilling!

Old 01-06-2021, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Thanks for the vid, but that's for the MAF sensor, not the intake valves.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMWguy22
Thanks for the vid, but that's for the MAF sensor, not the intake valves.
Ah, another failure.