Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Snow tires and rims (sizes) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99039-snow-tires-rims-sizes.html)

stephenmarklay 09-15-2018 09:10 AM

Snow tires and rims (sizes)

I am thinking about getting a smaller rim for my winter set of tires/wheels this year. My job requires a lot of driving and that includes some mountain passes. With the bad pot holes that develop I want a bit more sidewall.

How small of a rim will fit? The rotors look pretty small so I am sure a 15” is fine and perhaps even a 14”?

Thoughts?

sneefy 09-15-2018 12:01 PM

Did you search the forum? There are a lot of threads answering this question.

That said, I run 14" steelies in winter from Tire Rack with 185/70-14 tires. The extra sidewall is indeed a good thing. Just pick a good tire. I tend to prefer Michelin or Nokian winter tires.

kanadary 09-15-2018 04:17 PM

I used the 15 inch of rims, believe that other honda models share the same rim so there may be some at junk yards. I run nokians and it's great

stephenmarklay 09-15-2018 06:26 PM

Thank you both.

Howie_Feltersnatch 09-17-2018 04:47 PM

14" with the General Altimax Artics have always served me well, going on my 4th season. Coming from a AWD to low FWD i was impressed on how well the pull thru the slop and snow in the Midwest. Most days I can go with out the TC kicking in, but on really bad days I turn it off if I'm in stop and go or need to pull out and get up to speed quickly.

stephenmarklay 09-18-2018 07:58 AM

Thanks Howie… I was looking at those. That tire and the smaller size is more economical too. Does anyone have the offset handy? I would like to get some steel wheels with the proper offset.

EDIT: I found it under the wheel section. +53

sneefy 09-18-2018 09:49 AM

14" steel wheels need to be about a +45 offset to clear brakes. That's what mine are.

Regarding the Altimax Arctic, they have a good reputation of bang for the buck. But most studdless winter tires will outperform studdable unless you actually run studs.

Rob H 09-18-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by sneefy (Post 1412995)
14" steel wheels need to be about a +45 offset to clear brakes. That's what mine are.

Regarding the Altimax Arctic, they have a good reputation of bang for the buck. But most studdless winter tires will outperform studdable unless you actually run studs.

I bought based on the glowing reviews on forums. I will never buy again. Last year I took my 1/2 worn Blizzak and gave them to my son and purchased the Alitimax. The 1/2 worn Blizzak are way better in the snow. I thought it was my imagination until I did my own feel of the pants test. My wheels and my sons share the same bolt pattern. I ran my Alitmax in a fresh snow and then came home and switched wheels with my sons car. Maybe 30 minutes of time difference. I'm confident the 1/2 worn Blizzak were way better. That being said, the worst snow tire is way better than any all season tire in the snow.

woof 09-18-2018 07:53 PM

I bought Arctic Altimax 12 tires last year ( all 4 studded) and they were fine for what I mostly experience here - slippery roads with ice and packed snow. Pure snow traction isn't really an issue for me and in fact last year we really didn't get much snow so I don't know how they'd perform in heavy snow. I think I'd be worried more about the low clearance underneath the Fit with a deep snowfall. I do suspect though that if I wasn't for the studs I'd probably look around a bit at other tires like Michelin and Pirelli - but maybe in the end still have stayed with the Altimax though because they're such good value, I don't know.

Tires I really wanted were Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 (studded) but one tire chain has a monopoly on them in this region and you know what that means ($$$) so I gave them a pass.

stephenmarklay 09-19-2018 07:33 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

sneefy 09-19-2018 08:13 AM

Michelin is doing their normal seasonal $70 rebate right now. For two more days. Tire Rack is also offering free shipping on orders over $50.

Howie_Feltersnatch 09-19-2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay (Post 1412977)
Thanks Howie… I was looking at those. That tire and the smaller size is more economical too. Does anyone have the offset handy? I would like to get some steel wheels with the proper offset.

EDIT: I found it under the wheel section. +53

I just did the package deal from Tire Rack- Mounted/Balanced delivered for sub $500.00

Odie 09-19-2018 02:26 PM

The Arctic 12s' replace the Arctic . The 12s' siping depth is less than the Arctic . The Arctic start at 11 or 12 and the 12s' maybe a 1/3 of that .