3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I'm amazed at the fuel economy

Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 AM
I'm amazed at the fuel economy

After having the '17 LX for 5 days, l'm very impressed! Comparing it to my '07 Grand Marquis, the highway mileage is only about 1.6 times better. But in heavy traffic, it gets almost 3 times the mileage of that car. I've never had a super fuel efficient car like this. The only one I've had that comes close is an '81 Datsun 510 that l had in the mid and late 90s. That car got about 20 city and 23 highway.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
After consistently experiencing over 40+ mpg, it is expected, not out of the ordinary. I find it hard to go back to driving another daily communter's car

Last edited by wasserball; 10-18-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by If_It_Fits
The only one I've had that comes close is an '81 Datsun 510 that l had in the mid and late 90s. That car got about 20 city and 23 highway.
Hey I remember those! Never owned one but saw them around. Suddenly I feel so old ....

Old 10-18-2018, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I'll admit it, the Fit has spoiled me as far as fuel economy goes. The other day, I calculated my mileage for the first 58,000 miles (dividing total fuel; purchased into total miles driven) and came up with 39.6 MPG. Not to shabby.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I'll admit it, the Fit has spoiled me as far as fuel economy goes. ....
(dividing total fuel purchased into total miles driven)...

How did you calculate total fuel purchased? Did you keep receipts? Or is there some hidden OBD2 metric for total fuel passed through the fuel system. Sadly I've not kept all gas receipts and am hoping for the latter.

Last edited by knope; 10-18-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Typos typos typos
Old 10-18-2018, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
my guess is, he uses fuelly or some other similar tracker that asks for purchase price on every entry

Old 10-22-2018, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2rismo2
i've done about 65k and these are my numbers after tracking them on google spreadsheet.

Average mpg 41.688
average fuel cost $16.79
average per gallon $2.264

i have no reason to misrepresent my numbers, though some people may be skeptical. Don't people know that if it's on the internet, it must be true?

*not corrected for 205/50/16 tires after 40k, but the difference is very minor.

current trip isn't the greatest, but been running a lot of short errands for my wife while she's recovering from childbirth versus my normal commute.

nerd alert:

we know how inaccurate the on board trip meters can be, so i still track it the old fashioned way by having a spreadsheet. As you can see, it doesn't match up exactly.

i use a google form accessible through a web browser to populate the spreadsheet
​​​​​​​
It's easier to quote the stuff I recently posted on another thread where there was some skepticism for better than EPA mileage...
​​​​​​​
Last fill up was 39.186 with starting to go back to work and running errands for my wife in the afternoon.

​​​​​​​Temps have really been going down and this morning it was in the low 30s, but still managed 42 MPG from home to work.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
How did you calculate total fuel purchased? Did you keep receipts? Or is there some hidden OBD2 metric for total fuel passed through the fuel system. Sadly I've not kept all gas receipts and am hoping for the latter.
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
my guess is, he uses fuelly or some other similar tracker that asks for purchase price on every entry
Nothing so high tech. I keep a small notebook and pencil in the glovebox. When I buy gas I write down the date, odometer reading, and quantity of gas purchased. This is the way my dad taught me. So at any point I can go back and calculate my mileage.

My mileage is best in milder weather but drops somewhat in the winter. Winter blend gas, longer warm-up cycles, shorter trips and snow tires all add up to a couple fewer MPGs.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 10-22-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
It's easier to quote the stuff I recently posted on another thread where there was some skepticism for better than EPA mileage...

Last fill up was 39.186 with starting to go back to work and running errands for my wife in the afternoon.

Temps have really been going down and this morning it was in the low 30s, but still managed 42 MPG from home to work.
How do you determined the amount of gas used for your mpg calculation?, If you use the nozzle stop flow sensor to determine the amount of gas used, you may not have an accurate fill amount since nozzles have different flow sensitivity. I topped off the tank until I see gas in the filler neck. Then, I know how much gas is used between flow.

Last edited by wasserball; 10-22-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
ScanGauge recommends, to always fill at the same station, and if possible the same exact pump.... on level ground. They also mention, DO NOT TOP OFF and I believe something along the lines of "stop pumping gas as soon as the nozzle stops flowing" (or something like that, but using better grammar)

In theory, if 2Rismo2 were to pull that off, his nozzle stop flow sensor should always stop at the same spot at every fill up .... making for consistent numbers

Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
I cannot crack 40 mpg consistently for the day to day. I'll get a tank at 42 mpg but the next few will come in at 38 mpg and then 35 mpg. I do a moderate amount of short trips (22 mpg on the 'current trip' screen sometimes for a few miles) so it's no surprise. A few launches from stop signs is all it takes. That said, my personal best on the 'current trip' screen was 112 mpg, but that was at the bottom of a mountain.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
ScanGauge recommends, to always fill at the same station, and if possible the same exact pump.... on level ground. They also mention, DO NOT TOP OFF and I believe something along the lines of "stop pumping gas as soon as the nozzle stops flowing" (or something like that, but using better grammar)

In theory, if 2Rismo2 were to pull that off, his nozzle stop flow sensor should always stop at the same spot at every fill up .... making for consistent numbers
Topping off is an accurate account of gas used. Using the nozzle to determine how much gas is used is not accurate. Plus, the more gas I fill each time the less time I have to spend filling the tank. There is no law against topping off, plus I often break the law by going over the speed limit. I'm not an greenie. Banning plastic straws will not save the world. Stop buying plastic bottled water instead. If you don't feel good about something then stop doing it.

Last edited by wasserball; 10-22-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
How do you determined the amount of gas used for your mpg calculation?, If you use the nozzle stop flow sensor to determine the amount of gas used, you may not have an accurate fill amount since nozzles have different flow sensitivity. I topped off the tank until I see gas in the filler neck. Then, I know how much gas is used between flow.
When it stops pumping it stops pumping. I don't need the level of accuracy making my life more complicated than it is I'm satisfied with my MPG, what difference does it make if it's .1, .01 or .001 off? Spreadsheets aren't being submitted to any scientific journals for review haha

Old 10-23-2018, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
When it stops pumping it stops pumping. I don't need the level of accuracy making my life more complicated than it is I'm satisfied with my MPG, what difference does it make if it's .1, .01 or .001 off? Spreadsheets aren't being submitted to any scientific journals for review haha
When you posted your gas mileage to tenth of a mile per gallon, it makes a difference to know the exact amount of gas used. If you are not concern about the petty decimal point, then don't post to that accuracy. Now, you are telling me you don't care. You are contradicting yourself. I know we are being petty here.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
When you posted your gas mileage to tenth of a mile per gallon, it makes a difference to know the exact amount of gas used. If you are not concern about the petty decimal point, then don't post to that accuracy. Now, you are telling me you don't care. You are contradicting yourself. I know we are being petty here.

Very petty I see. I don't see how I contradicted myself. I post the numbers I got to share info, never did I say it was scientific. MPG was to the thousandths since the price per gallon was listed to the thousands on the pump/receipt, figured I'd match them.If I post to the hundredths will that make you feel better?

Old 10-23-2018, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
For the record, I never “top off” the tank either. I fill until the pump shuts off. Yes, there may be some variation in fuel economy measured a tank at a time, but averaged over multiple fill ups, those variations will cancel each other out.

Many years ago ago I used to habitually “top off” my tank, until I had to replace the entire evaporative emissions system because the charcoal cannister was flooded with gas.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
For the record, I love plastic straws and break laws (AND VOID WARRANTY's)

I'm gonna go ahead and agree, to disagree here. The top off method has flaws .... how do we know if you topped off.... and then on accident .... added 2-4 extra tops of gas that was not needed?

I'm gonna stick to my guns, and follow what scangauge says to do... and rely on the nozzle's ability to "stop" at a certain point... and expect that damn thing.... to be accurate. And I know you'll continue to do your top off thing, and I respect your decision (even tho its crazy)

Old 10-23-2018, 06:33 PM
All I know is that my fuel economy has taken a dive since I'm actively and more frequently doing the old Italian tuneup... to try to keep the valves clean...yes....that's it

Old 10-23-2018, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Borgus
All I know is that my fuel economy has taken a dive since I'm actively and more frequently doing the old Italian tuneup... to try to keep the valves clean...yes....that's it
I've burned through more than one tank at 74 mph average or so and I was lucky to get 35 mpg.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:12 AM
On the way home from work tonight l set the cruise at 75 for 6 miles and got 39mpg. Didn't think it could be that good going that fast. Thought l was catching a good tailwind, but according to a big flag at a car dealer, the wind was calm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm amazed at the fuel economy