3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Crashed Fit.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Crashed Fit.

So my wife had someone in a Grand Cherokee turn right in front of her last week and she was unable to avoid them. It was a pretty hard hit but most importantly the Fit did a great job of protecting her. She's sore and bruised but checked out okay at the Doctor today. No pictures yet as I haven't even seen the car yet. The damage estimate came back at $18K Canadian so I am pretty sure they will write it off.

It was was luck of the draw that she took the Fit that day as I don't relegate my wife to the Fit while I drive the nicer cars. We rotate through the 3 of them depending on what's at the end of the driveway. Of course I wish it had been my Civic Si since it's been hit before and I'm planning on replacing it this Spring. I love driving the Fit and miss it already.

So now the issue is that I think I will need to replace it. My MX-5 is usually gone for the winter by now but I have sold it because I'm buying a 2019 MX-5 in the Spring. So we're down to one car and as we all know that there are no Fits around. My car was an Orange Fury Sport with the 6MT and there aren't any new ones anywhere to be found. I ordered mine and waited 2 months. Honda is telling me February if I order one now but that is too long.

Not too sure what I'm going to do. I might get the new Si or Accord 2.0T that I was going to replace my 2015 Si with and then actually replace it in the Spring with a Fit once they are back on the lot.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
I'm terribly sorry to hear of the lost of your Fit but glad to hear that your wife is ok!

I'd highly advise taking a back to back test drive between the 10 gen Si and Accord 2.0T... Not sure if Canada got manual 2.0Ts but if so keep it in consideration. I'm currently finding myself in a similar situation between trading my 2016 CR-Z for either a 2019 Si, CTR, or Accord 2.0T if I stay with a Honda sedan or hatch.

Stock vs stock, with my experiences driving 2017s and 2018s the 10th gen Si doesn't feel as fun to drive or as engaging as the 9th gen to me. Its one of those things that you feel as a driver when you're motoring along your favorite route or scenic drive, and seem to pick at your mind that something is 'off'. Granted yes, it does make its peak torque much lower than the 2.4L I4 but the power band seems do taper off in the last 1/3 of the upper RPM band and I consistently lose interest. Really, I had serviced one which had its turbocharger replaced due to a front end collision and questioned if the correct SI turbo was installed and not the smaller EX-T turbo by accident so I compared it with a new Si on our lot to verify. Steering feedback is a bit on the bleh side as well, its a bit on the numb side of things but the car still has the traditional, nimble and agile characteristics though. One thing that I find highly disappointing though is the Active Dampers... They make the suspension mildly firmer when in Sport (along with EPS getting heavier and throttle map changes, etc). Not enough to make a drastic difference but not enough to tell the difference when driving on my usual pre-delivery inspection routes (just my 2 cents).

I think you might be please and possibly surprised with the Accord 2.0T in either 10 speed A/T or 6 speed manual if you have access to a Sport model. Yes, its a larger car that's aimed at a different target buyer with styling cues that you either love or hate... But damn is it a good car to go for a drive in and properly setup right in terms of fitment, finish, control locations, NVH while driving (It reminded me of the E60 generation of BMW 5 series when driving in terms ride quality, just FWD and modern Honda layout of course). The Accord's 2.0T is indeed a watered down CTR engine with a turbocharger that is focused more on low and mid range torque which makes it a good substitute for the outgoing 3.5L V6. The 10 speed auto is not shabby at all either though the push button, gear selection is odd if you're unfamiliar with it. Its very smooth engagement and good shift logic, it will skip gears when needed as well which kind of makes using the paddles to shift redundant unless engine braking. The manual transmission if available is an open diff version of the CTR's with a different final drive as well as taller 5th and 6th gears for highway driving. Honda Sensing is standard equipment as well (at least in the states) and is an ok extra to have on extended drives but unnecessary in my book.

The only thing stopping me from parting out and selling my CR-Z for an Accord 2.0T is the fact that there is no LSD on, I do not want a moonroof at all (they randomly shatter in my area due to the heat in the summer here LOL), and I still can't get over the exterior looks personally no matter what exterior accessories were put on so far. If it wasn't for those reasons, I'd likely have one with Hondata's stage 2 reflash and have something like a modern day Accord Euro R if one existed..

Old 12-02-2018, 02:54 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Thank you very much for the kind words and the advice!

My wife and I are only manual drivers so an automatic isn't a consideration. Luckily we do get the 2.0T 6MT combo up here. Great to hear the feedback about he 10th gen Si. I already like the seating position better as I think I sit too high up in my 9th gen. I do agree that the engine sounds like the disappointing part. It doesn't help that the K24 is such a sweet engine. I had read very good things about the handling of the Si though so I'll have to really check that out. Like you mention there are a lot of pros and cons to both cars. Mainly the lack of LSD on the Accord and the fact it has the Honda Sensing which I would prefer not to have. My friend has a Pilot with it and it is constantly freaking out and is way too aggressive. It's also useless in the snow and lights the dash up like an Xmas tree.

We plan to drive both the Accord and Si back to back to see which we prefer.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Well it is official. Our Fit is being declared a total loss and since we can't get another one any time soon, we'll be moving on from it for now.

Hopefully we'll get another one before next winter. Right now I think we are leaning towards a Civic Si coupe.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear your wife is ok. The Fit does a great job at keeping you safe!

You can't go wrong with either the Si or the Accord IMO. I would avoid the sensing too as there seems to be people having issues with it being too sensitive.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Vanishing breed

Originally Posted by sjd
............................My wife and I are only manual drivers............
Very few of us couples left that enjoying manual shifting. Glad to hear wife fared well from the mishap.

The Civic will get very close to the mileage of your totalled Fit. It's also wider and better insulated. Good luck shopping and post your eventual purchase.

Orange would have been my first choice if it were available for the 2015 MY!!!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
The car behind my son - the one that was pushed into him - was a Hyundai, don't know what model, but it was smaller than the Fit. The woman driving that is in bad shape. She was hit by a 2006 Chevy van, driven by a man without a license. The woman driving the Hyundai had tried to pass my son when two lanes were going into one for the construction. She didn't have room, so she pulled back in, and all the traffic stopped. Then the van ran into her. If she had completed the pass, the van would have hit my son's Fit, and he'd be the one in the hospital.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:28 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
Glad to hear your wife is ok. The Fit does a great job at keeping you safe!

You can't go wrong with either the Si or the Accord IMO. I would avoid the sensing too as there seems to be people having issues with it being too sensitive.
Thanks. They are great cars.

Yeah, just in test driving the Accord the "BRAKE" light would constantly flash. A friend has a Pilot and it's stupidly sensitive. In the snow (which we get a lot of) it doesn't work and lights the dash up like an Xmas tree. I have zero interest in a car with nannies that try to think for me.

Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Very few of us couples left that enjoying manual shifting. Glad to hear wife fared well from the mishap.

The Civic will get very close to the mileage of your totalled Fit. It's also wider and better insulated. Good luck shopping and post your eventual purchase.

Orange would have been my first choice if it were available for the 2015 MY!!!
Thanks! The Si is apparently pretty good on fuel although it needs premium.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
Thanks. They are great cars.

Yeah, just in test driving the Accord the "BRAKE" light would constantly flash. A friend has a Pilot and it's stupidly sensitive. In the snow (which we get a lot of) it doesn't work and lights the dash up like an Xmas tree. I have zero interest in a car with nannies that try to think for me.
Thanks! The Si is apparently pretty good on fuel although it needs premium.
I reset the TPMS, so I'll wait and see if it comes back on. Whenever that light has come on in the Fit, it was because a tire was low - slow leak.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:27 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Well, we have ordered a 2019 Fit Sport. Seeing as it won't be here for a couple of months I took over a 6 month lease on a 2016 Scion iM. It's costing me a lot less than a beater but will be reliable. First impressions are that it’s kinda slow. It has a mere 137 horsepower but is heavier and therefore slower than my Fit was and with worse fuel economy. It also has things like power folding mirrors and dual zone climate control but no heated seats. It is pleasant enough to look at and feels nice inside though. Unfortunately it is a CVT and I am instantly reminded of how much I loathe CVTs. It makes the engine sound like a sick cow.

I'll still be replacing my 2015 Civic Si with a 2019 Si coupe when its lease is up and the 2010 Mazda MX-5 I sold with a 2019 MX-5. Three new car purchases this year which will hopefully last at least the next decade because fun, manual transmission cars are going extinct fast.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:41 PM
Actually a smart move on the lease takeover idea. Good thought there mate. Wish I would have thought of that

Old 12-21-2018, 07:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
did you check out the new corolla hatch before you ordered the 19? i cant see myself ever buying another GK out of mexico.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
did you check out the new corolla hatch before you ordered the 19? i cant see myself ever buying another GK out of mexico.
it's as small as a sport coupe inside. I sat in one and was shocked.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
it's as small as a sport coupe inside. I sat in one and was shocked.
huh, no cargo space? thats a fail.. nevermind then.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
We had zero issues in 43K with our 2018. With our Honda family discount the Fit is more than $4000 less than a similarly equipped Corolla hatchback. Of course the Corolla does have some features the Fit doesn't but the Fit has more room. I also will not buy a car with any sort of autonomous braking.

Last edited by sjd; 12-21-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
We had zero issues in 43K with our 2018. With our Honda family discount the Fit is more than $4000 less than a similarly equipped Corolla hatchback. Of course the Corolla does have some features the Fit doesn't but the Fit has more room. I also will not buy a car with any sort of autonomous braking.
yah, the fit does carry a lot of stuff and if that is the primary purpose for having the car with good mpg, i can understand.
autonomous braking is not a bad thing to have if dd.. which im sure the GK is.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:59 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
yah, the fit does carry a lot of stuff and if that is the primary purpose for having the car with good mpg, i can understand.
autonomous braking is not a bad thing to have if dd.. which im sure the GK is.
The Fit has been great. It hauls my mountain bike, is good on fuel and excellent for running around the back roads where I live. For longer highway trips we take the Si.

As for autonomous braking, it’s what removed the Accord from our list to replace the Si. Friends of ours have in their Pilot and it’s too cautious. It also doesn’t work well in the winter or snow and lights the dash up like a Christmas tree. It’s winter here for 6 months a year so why would I want something that probably won’t work 50% of the time? I have autocrossed and tracked for years, have extensive driver training and have instructed as well. I don’t want computers thinking for me.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
yah i suppose honda needs more R&D for their autonomous brakes. no sense paying for something dat doesnt work right.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
did you guys look at the impreza hatch at all? i was looking at a 5MT on autotrader just now and there's some real nice deals on lightly used 16-17's with no more than 10-11k miles. like $17-18K range and these arent the watered down ones. id get that instead. AWD, good cargo space, no vtc rattle..lol, etc.

hell if my wife could drive MT id go buy one right now at that price cause i dont care about small scratches and dings on cars i go shopping in.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
did you guys look at the impreza hatch at all? i was looking at a 5MT on autotrader just now and there's some real nice deals on lightly used 16-17's with no more than 10-11k miles. like $17-18K range and these arent the watered down ones. id get that instead. AWD, good cargo space, no vtc rattle..lol, etc.
The Impreza was probably our backup car. It was the mention of that that led the dealer to give us a loaner. Although it has all wheel drive, it's more expensive and uses more gas. The dealer offered us a 2017 Fit with about 12,000 miles for around $20k, but that wasn't very appealing. My son drives a lot, and he doesn't want to buy a new car that is two years old with a lot of miles on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crashed Fit.