3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone else overpay and regret it later?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 03:15 PM
All this hate for the cvt. I love my CVT and millions of others do too. I test drove the manual and it was probably one of the most disappointing gear ratios between 5th and 6th I've experienced in my life. Not to mention it is significantly louder at highway speeds. I bought my car for fuel economy and practicality with a dose of sport. And that's what's I got. Couldn't be happier. To each their own.

Last edited by Borgus; 12-09-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Agreed. The manual wasn't being made when I bought mine. Although I wanted it, my driving is straight line stoplight to stoplight except for a big interstate trip or two a year. The manual would have been a bad choice.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:58 PM
I have a cvt, i love it because it's easy to daily!

Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 PM
As someone who has worked in the automotive sales business, I can tell you we have all overpaid to some degree in our lives. Some more than others. The dealerships are out there to make a profit, after all. Best thing you can do is move on and extract the lessons from the experience. Never, ever believe that a salesperson is "on your side" or trying to get you the best deal possible. They're looking for a sale, they're doing their jobs and they aren't evil for it. It's a very high pressure career to be in, so they'll often do whatever it takes to move cars, especially used ones. Another piece of advice I would give, is to always be willing to walk away. Unless you're after a rare car, and I mean rare, so not a Honda Fit, you can walk away and find something else.

PS I bought the Fit for the fuel economy, so CVT was a no brainer. If I want a fun manual I'll get an E46! IMO practicality and versatility are the selling points here, not a slow manual gearbox and low power.

Last edited by justalilbit; 12-09-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justalilbit
If I want a fun manual I'll get an E46! IMO practicality and versatility are the selling points here, not a slow manual gearbox and low power.
then why don’t u have the bimmer now? because you’re really not a car enthusiast.

those that are raving the cvt is not the same people or demographic that likes driving small cars for the sake of fun. and that is perfectly fine.. but no need to diss the MT. even if the gearing sucks on the GK id still prefer MT over the cvt.. but my GK was bought for my wife who has absolutely no interest in cars. which is the perfect demographic for a cvt GK. i don’t mind it too cause i park the thing anywhere and i don’t have any second thoughts if it got dinged or watever.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
..thus the therapeutic part of my GK ownership.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
then why don’t u have the bimmer now?
Who says I don't?
because you’re really not a car enthusiast.
What are you on about? If you enjoy the manual that's fine but that doesn't mean it isn't a slow car. I never said people weren't allowed to like the MT, in fact I have two friends who have a MT GE and they love it. I just said let's not pretend the Fit is an enthusiast's sports car, because it isn't. It's an econohatch with the most practicality and versatility of its class on the market today.

Last edited by justalilbit; 12-10-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ogrelode
I am currently driving a 2015 EX 6spd that I paid 13.5k for with 44k miles This was after a $2000 trade in. A few weeks later I realized how much I overpayed. This has created a lot of disappointment for me. I found a 2016 ex automatic with only 11k miles on it on Craigslist for 12k. I really, really regret this purchase but there is nothing I can really do now. If anyone else has done the same thing I would love to hear about what happened, i'm sure i'm not the only one.
Don't worry about it. You learn the best lessons from your own mistakes.
Also, the average US new car price is somewhere around $ 35 K, so you're miles ahead of the average consumer sheep.
Lastly, when your 6spd will have any issues, a new clutch & MT oil will only cost you $1 K.
If you had the "extremely reliable" Honda CVT, you could be looking at $ 3-5 K to replace.
Apparently the weakest components in Honda's are typically the auto transmissions.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justalilbit
Who says I don't?

What are you on about? If you enjoy the manual that's fine but that doesn't mean it isn't a slow car. I never said people weren't allowed to like the MT, in fact I have two friends who have a MT GE and they love it. I just said let's not pretend the Fit is an enthusiast's sports car, because it isn't. It's an econohatch with the most practicality and versatility of its class on the market today.
who says you actually do?

some car folks like driving these cars in MT knowing they are slow. just because it’s slow doesn’t mean it’s not fun to drive. hell the car does well on surface roads and running errands. id be happy driving a MT kei-car if i had one just to run quick errands. i much rather drive a MT GK than my pos cvt one.. but then again my GK wasn’t intended for me to drive and my wife is apparently ok with it so..

Old 12-10-2018, 03:11 PM

who says you actually do?

some car folks like driving these cars in MT knowing they are slow. just because it’s slow doesn’t mean it’s not fun to drive. hell the car does well on surface roads and running errands. id be happy driving a MT kei-car if i had one just to run quick errands. i much rather drive a MT GK than my pos cvt one.. but then again my GK wasn’t intended for me to drive and my wife is apparently ok with it so..
I think you need to chill out, bud.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
i think you got it all wrong. and i think you don’t own a E46.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:50 PM

We are all here because we like our Fits. CVT or otherwise. You don't have to come across as a flaming asshat everytime someone has an opinion you disagree with. I'm not going to reply to this thread any further.

OP, don't stress about it. In the grand scheme of things, like others have said, a couple grand isn't much. If you keep the car a long time, you will still come out ahead. Just enjoy the car and don't think about it.

​​​​

Old 12-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Are you a real human being? lol

Old 12-10-2018, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
How did this turn into a manual versus CVT thread? hahaha

There has to be a similar Godwin's law for car threads, where eventually all threads degenerate to manuals versus auto/cvt right?

Old 12-10-2018, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member

Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
CVT + Traffic Jams = Perfect Combo!
MT + Mountains = Perfect Combo!

Since I live in the city and work in other city, CVT is perfect for me during the hour rushes. Maybe after I retire and move to quiet place, I'll get MT car.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
I don't mind my 5MT in traffic. Fit clutch pedal is nearly weightless.

Fit can be made to be moderately fun, it'll never be a sports car but it has a nice shifter, a torquey little lump (for what it is) and the chassis is stiff & light. I'm beyond excited to drive it minimally lowered & on proper summer tires next year.

And I say that as someone with a tremendously fun car that I can drive as I please as well.

Shoot, didn't realize no one had responded to this in a week. TFW I look at my User CP and it shows me threads I haven't opened but am 'subscribed' to