Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Fit Totaled (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99553-fit-totaled.html)

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 05:43 AM

Fit Totaled

My son was stuck in traffic at a construction site coming home from work yesterday evening when a car slammed into him from the right, rear. The car was pushed into a barrier, and the air bag went off. I haven't seen the car, but I'm sure it will be totaled. Now, I have to drive him to work and shop around for a new Fit. Until we got the Fits, we always had "extra" cars in the family, but now we have two people and one car. I want to get to the towing company and remove personal items and take pictures, but the guy says he's "in and out." When I get pictures, I'll post them.

The car is four years old with about 89,000 miles, so I don't mind replacing it. If you remember my previous posts, this is the car that cost $650 in guesswork repairs to get the Check Engine light turned off. That took two months, and the lights came back on just after it passed the state inspection. It's also the car that has a brand new $353 right side view mirror. : (

I assume I'm allowed to remove any accessories that I added to the car.

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 06:01 AM

Fits Still Scarce

I see that Fits are almost as scarce as they were in 2014. I'm looking online, and dealers show dozens or even hundreds of other models available, but only 1 - 5 Fits. Strange. My son totaled his last night - slammed into from the rear - so he has to get one fast.

knope 12-06-2018 07:48 AM

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by knope (Post 1418754)

Yes, definitely a bummer, but it does have a lot of miles on it, and it still has the Check Engine light lit - more money!

I'm really surprised that new Fits are so hard to find. I don't like the local dealer, but that's our only reasonable choice

knope 12-06-2018 08:15 AM

Something-something factory flooded. I hope all goes well with the search- perhaps you could order one online to a different local-dealer? Where i live there's 11 honda dealerships in a 25 mile radius.

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by knope (Post 1418757)
Something-something factory flooded. I hope all goes well with the search- perhaps you could order one online to a different local-dealer? Where i live there's 11 honda dealerships in a 25 mile radius.

I Googled "Honda dealers in the northeast." Lots of dealers, lots of cars, but many have no Fits at all. Some have one. Some have only an LX or two. They don't seem to be offering the good financing we got four years ago.

2Rismo2 12-06-2018 09:00 AM

Dang sucks to hear. Hope your son is OK.

Ya the celaya plant got flooded a few weeks ago, so Fits may be slim pickings for a while.

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 09:33 AM

I'm glad the car had a dash cam. I just hope it's still with the car. It was towed away. When he gets the new car, it will definitely have a second camera facing rear.

woof 12-06-2018 10:17 AM

The Mexico factory has been shut down for months as they cleaned up from the flooding. That means no Fits being produced. I believe they were supposed to start up again about now but the pipeline is dry and it may take a while for new cars to show up at dealers. Until then what little is on the dealer lots is all there is and because of the shortage dealers have no incentive to give anyone a break on price.

"I assume I'm allowed to remove any accessories that I added to the car. "
The car and everything on it belongs to the insurance company now. If they allow you to strip things off it diminishes their scrap value. let us know what happens.

2Rismo2 12-06-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1418762)
I'm glad the car had a dash cam. I just hope it's still with the car. It was towed away. When he gets the new car, it will definitely have a second camera facing rear.

Good call! I installed one of those that goes on top of the rear view mirror, the rear camera I mounted on the plastic latch cover in the trunk area. Dash camera

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1418765)
Good call! I installed one of those that goes on top of the rear view mirror, the rear camera I mounted on the plastic latch cover in the trunk area. Dash camera

We have these in each car, behind the rear view mirror. If the old cams still work, I'll put them in the rear, somehow.

evilchargerfan 12-06-2018 01:21 PM

all that work/time/money, to troubleshoot and pass inspection. and THIS happens :(

best of luck on the hunt for a new one, I hope a decent deal pops up for ya

marmaladedad 12-06-2018 01:30 PM

Hope your son is fine. Cars can always be replaced.

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 04:11 PM

Shopping for a Car

With my son's Fit totaled, I'm helping him find a new one. Just my luck that they're in short supply, just like when we bought these two in 2014. I looked up the local dealer who showed a Fit Ex at a related dealership. I called, and was told they could get it. I went in to put down a deposit, "We have no Fits available." These people talk constantly and very fast. I just sat there, smiled and listened. He didn't have a car to sell me. Why was he still talking. After another trip to "The Manager," he said they had one coming in on the 19th, and I could leave a deposit. That would mean two weeks of driving my son back and forth to work. I would bet my life that they will not have a Fit EX available on Dec 19. All they want is for the customer to sign a contract and leave a deposit. Very discouraging.

He tried to talk me into a used Civic or a new HR-V, which is larger, heavier, more expensive, and gets worse mileage. It looks like I'll be looking at the Prius and Impreza tomorrow. When I bought a new 1980 Civic, I had to go to San Francisco to buy one. When I bought these two Fits in 2014, I had to wait four months and drive to New Hampshire to get one. Now I can't buy a Fit because the factory was flooded. Honda seems to have a supply problem.

evilchargerfan 12-06-2018 04:17 PM

if its a new, subaru..... contact me for a voucher

evilchargerfan 12-06-2018 04:20 PM

if you go with a 3rd gen prius, beware the violent engine shakes issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...l#post10122132

-clogged egr cooler
-intake mani collecting oil
-eventual oil consumption

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 04:41 PM

After spending too much time online looking at Fits today, I realize that what the dealers show as being available on their web sites is just a collection of phantom cars. The Kingston Lia dealer listed some and told me they could get the one I wanted. They couldn't. Then I called the Lia dealer in MA, who also listed Fits. After a long Chat, he did not say he had any Fits. He wanted to talk to me on the phone. No wonder car dealers have such a bad reputation. They worked hard to earn it.

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan (Post 1418790)
if its a new, subaru..... contact me for a voucher

Thanks for that! I'll keep it in mind.

ROTTBOY 12-06-2018 05:48 PM

Hi EXSILVER15, Firstly, am sure this community is glad that despite your son's car got totalled, he is SAFE!!! Fits are replaceable and am sure you both will find something in the very near future! Good luck on the hunt and post the replacement.

SilverEX15 12-06-2018 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ROTTBOY (Post 1418795)
Hi EXSILVER15, Firstly, am sure this community is glad that despite your son's car got totalled, he is SAFE!!! Fits are replaceable and am sure you both will find something in the very near future! Good luck on the hunt and post the replacement.

Thanks. He's considering the HR-V, which is based on the Fit and has AWD.