Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Disconnected battery, now things don't work (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99575-disconnected-battery-now-things-dont-work.html)

justalilbit 12-09-2018 02:55 PM

Not working: Parking Lights, Steering Wheel/Heating/Auto gearbox light

Edit: I should mentioned this is a 2018 model. So I was finishing up a projector retrofit. I had to disconnect the battery as I have done many times in many vehicles in the past. Took off the negative, then the positive. Did my thing, then reconnected positive then negative. My turn signals, parking lights (the turn signals on low voltage), lights for the automatic shifter and lights for the interior fan speed no longer worked.

Upon inspection I was able to decipher one of the many confusing fuse terms in the manual. (Most are acronyms or odd terms. One fuse is literally just called "Stop"!) The "Hazard" fuse aka Turn Signals was blown, so I replaced that. But I have no idea how to fix any of the other things. Can anyone help me? I really don't want to go to the local dealer. They are notorious for absurd sales pressure and it's just a headache when I would rather do things myself and save labor cost.

Regarding the parking lights, the turn signal bulb works just fine, and I've tried replacing them with other bulbs which also work, they just aren't lighting up when the headlights are on anymore.

The problem with the interior lights for fan speed/automatic shifter is weird, because the interior lights and other lights on the upper console still work, just not those.

eulogy 12-09-2018 03:09 PM

I would just go one by one pulling each fuse and checking them. Perhaps there is a logical explanation to how the circuits are tied together, but to me they seem random. i dont remember what i was working on...but a while back i popped a fuse doing something and it was tied to a circuit completely unrelated...in my mind anyways.

justalilbit 12-09-2018 09:38 PM

Went for a drive this evening and as I got home I realized the parking lights were working again. Then I got in the car and noticed the remaining console lights were also working. I didn't do anything new to the car since making this thread, so... all I can think of is disconnecting the battery started some sort of reset with the power? I have no idea what happened that caused these problems to arise, and then fix themselves after 30-60 minutes of driving. Will report back if they arise again in the next couple days.

justalilbit 12-11-2018 04:49 PM

Aaand the problems came back. FML

wasserball 12-11-2018 05:37 PM

The root cause is probably the Fit doesn't like your projector. Since it is a 2018 model, I assume it is still under warranty? Take it to the dealer and let them deal with the problems. Maybe you should remove the projector first to see if everything comes back alive and normal. Replace the blown fuses first.

justalilbit 12-16-2018 01:06 PM

After dozens of google searches using new terms, and reading through many many many threads, I finally discovered the solution. At long last! It was indeed a blown fuse, however I didn't want to go about pulling each fuse out as I have heard horror stories from pulling very important fuses in these cars that cause problems with the alternator, etc etc. (It would be easy enough to avoid in any other car, but I have found Honda's fuse names to be cryptic at best as to what their function is) I wanted to be sure, or have some decent idea of what fuse to pull.

There is a fuse that controls the steering wheel lights, the climate control lights, (also known as HVAC - Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning) and the lights on the CVT gearbox. What is this fuse called? Of course the very intuitive, aptly named fuse "Small Light"!

Small Light.

Yeah, really. Bravo, Honda. I can only imagine the vague, cryptic naming of these fuses is to sucker unknowing people into bringing their cars to the dealership, in order to make bank off a simple blown fuse. But anyways, this fuse is in a different position depending on your model year. But in my case, a 2018 Sport model, it was located behind a panel below the steering wheel which you need a small allen key or screw driver to pop open near the top. The information is found on page 117 of the manual. The fuse is #9 "Small Light", 10 amps. I hope this helps anyone in the future as I nearly had to go to the dealership for such a silly problem.

eulogy 12-16-2018 01:15 PM

told ya. :P