Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   $5 upcharge for oil change skid plate removal (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99609-5-upcharge-oil-change-skid-plate-removal.html)

bargainguy 12-15-2018 05:06 PM

$5 upcharge for oil change skid plate removal

Went to get my oil changed yesterday and got a nasty surprise: $5 upcharge for removing and replacing the skid plate / splash guard.

I haven't seen this upcharge before at any oil change place, local or national. This was a local grocery store chain in the midwest. Anyone else run into this?

Hootie 12-15-2018 06:35 PM

That sounds like some nonsense considering that the lower engine cover takes about 6 to 8 screws to remove and 1 push clip. Takes MAYBE 30 second to remove with a cordless drill/electric impact and flat head screw driver.

That's the tech's or facility's fault for not being prepared for such a simple task on modern vehicle's that come with some form of a belly pan.

kenchan 12-15-2018 08:34 PM

Interesting. haven’t read about this before. i do my own oil changes so don’t know what people charge. i would be concerned whether they replaced the shroud properly though using the right hardware as the one that come with the car is pretty cheesy

ezone 12-15-2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by bargainguy (Post 1419459)
Went to get my oil changed yesterday and got a nasty surprise: $5 upcharge for removing and replacing the skid plate / splash guard.

I haven't seen this upcharge before at any oil change place, local or national. This was a local grocery store chain in the midwest. Anyone else run into this?

Check local laws. If you didn't agree to this fee either up front or by a revised estimate (and phone approval or your signature) ............before you were charged, it may be unlawful.

fujisawa 12-15-2018 09:04 PM

Its not worth your time. Go somewhere else next time. Send the manager a letter telling him you've taken your business elsewhere because he charged you for removing a piece of plastic.

bargainguy 12-15-2018 11:38 PM

I didn't catch the upcharge until it was time to pay, so that one's on me. I checked the website beforehand and no mention of any extra charge, and no posting in the lobby. But I asked the tech beforehand to please make sure the clips are secure. She had a perfect opportunity to mention the upcharge at that point and didn't. No doubt they don't bring up a topic that's unpopular to begin with, but getting the customer's shock at the back end is not good service practice either. Might as well be transparent about it.

I complained to: the tech, the separate oil dept cashier, and the manager of the store in person, and to corporate online when I got home. Told them: Not terribly transparent about your fees, are you? Won't be getting my business ever again for an oil change, and I'm seriously thinking of taking my grocery shopping elsewhere. But you made an extra $5 off me today. Congrats to you, but that $5 today might cost you my business over a lifetime, which is sad, because that amount would be easily made back by one trip through the grocery store. Do the math.

kenchan 12-16-2018 12:17 AM

you sure do live up to ur name, bargainguy :nod:

bargainguy 12-16-2018 12:28 AM

Yup, that's my MO.

kenchan 12-16-2018 08:17 AM

:nod: :nod: :nod:

wasserball 12-16-2018 09:39 AM

Leave it off and you won't ever get a surprised charge.

ashchuckton 12-16-2018 12:12 PM

The part I can't understand is having a grocery store do an oil change??? No such thing around here.

I would also not be happy about the up charge.

mike410b 12-16-2018 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by wasserball (Post 1419485)
Leave it off and you won't ever get a surprised charge.

And worse high speed stability and fuel economy

Great trade off right?

GolNat 12-16-2018 03:40 PM

Time is money!

Other shops probably do this but its included in shop fee's or the price of the service.

Lol never heard of a grocery store offering oil changes. Well Wally World does and they sell groceries.

wasserball 12-16-2018 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1419494)
And worse high speed stability and fuel economy

Great trade off right?

Wow, I didn't know that. How unstable will the Fit get? Will I crash, lose control at 120 mph? And how much less mpg will result without the undercover in place? I thought it was only a splash guard.

fujisawa 12-16-2018 07:43 PM

The underpin does make a difference to highway stability IMO.

This at least confirms one thing I've suspected as to why Honda left the pan off in first and second gen Fits in the US, but included it in Japan: American dealer technicians are lazy.

Brain Champagne 12-16-2018 10:48 PM

If you paid with a credit card you could always contest the $5 charge.

mike410b 12-16-2018 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by wasserball (Post 1419522)
Wow, I didn't know that. How unstable will the Fit get? Will I crash, lose control at 120 mph? And how much less mpg will result without the undercover in place? I thought it was only a splash guard.

If you're going 120 MPH in a Fit you're putting innocent lives at stake & I hope you lose your license sooner than later.

Yes, you're sacrificing both. No I don't have numbers on either, I just prefer not to remove something beneficial to embrace the laziness of others.

carotman 12-17-2018 10:02 AM

I think that's normal to charge for the skid plate removal.

They have a fixed fee for oil changes and this does not include any extra labor.

An oil change normally involves removing the drain bolt and filter. If they have to remove extra parts that you installed on your own, they can't tell you in advance that you'll get that extra fee.

kenchan 12-17-2018 11:49 AM

considering most modern cars have lower shrouds, that needs to be something the shop notes PRIOR to the work. the communication is the problem here. if one would’ve known about it before i’m sure the $5 itself is not the problem.

kenchan 12-17-2018 11:53 AM

kinda like when some fatarse asian chum forgot to give me a $1 discount when i bought 2 bottles of washer fluid. they clearly advertised next to the bottles $1 off for two.

didnt notice it until after the fact. sure i was ticked off not for the dollar but for getting violated.