Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Grind it Out? Or Grind it In? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99640-grind-out-grind.html)

fitchet 12-21-2018 09:01 PM

Grind it Out? Or Grind it In?

I have a 2016 Honda Fit EX, that has been mostly trouble free. But this winter, just occasionally, I'm starting to get the infamous few second grinding sound upon start up. So far, it's pretty intermittent, and is just a split second or two. I find it easy enough to ignore.
I think I'm still under warranty however, and I wonder if it's worth it to try to get this addressed under warranty? Is it likely to get worse?
Has anyone had this issue and actually had any success with Honda fixing it long term?

Internet search, seems to suggest it's signs of a failing starter.
Don't feel like dealing with it during the holidays, but wondering if I shouldn't get it in to the dealership ASAP next year.

bargainguy 12-22-2018 01:58 AM

There have been many reports here of premature starter failure, especially on the pushbutton start models.

Whether you're in warranty or not, I'd contact Honda corporate first, so they know of your issue and can direct resources at it. I don't like showing up at a dealer first, as the dealer is sometimes less motivated to fix your issue than corporate would be.

If your car is still under warranty, it should be fixed gratis. If it isn't, Honda has been all over the place as far as individual cases. Sometimes they foot the entire bill, sometimes nothing, sometimes half, sometimes half in service credits.

fitchet 12-22-2018 06:51 AM

My other concern is that it is intermittent.
Mostly happening on cold mornings,- just know it won't replicate at the dealership.

2Rismo2 12-22-2018 08:51 AM

Is it intermittently not starting or is it the vtc actuator noise?

I didn't used to get the vtc noise, but it's happening more frequently. I've read some people have had the tsb done and the nose has come back. I'm way out of warranty so I don't think I'll bother. I'd have to leave the car overnight for them to try to replicate, then how long for them to fix. It doesn't seem to affect longevity so I'll leave it alone.

kenchan 12-22-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by fitchet (Post 1419923)
I have a 2016 Honda Fit EX, that has been mostly trouble free. But this winter, just occasionally, I'm starting to get the infamous few second grinding sound upon start up. So far, it's pretty intermittent, and is just a split second or two. I find it easy enough to ignore.
I think I'm still under warranty however, and I wonder if it's worth it to try to get this addressed under warranty? Is it likely to get worse?
Has anyone had this issue and actually had any success with Honda fixing it long term?

Internet search, seems to suggest it's signs of a failing starter.
Don't feel like dealing with it during the holidays, but wondering if I shouldn't get it in to the dealership ASAP next year.

i bet its the vtc actuator rattling. mine does it like 150% of the time now. its a pos, i learned to live with it cause even people that had this service done to fix, the noise comes back. its nice to have a pos sounding car at the strip malls cause u blend in with everyone else. its actually nice.

fitchet 12-22-2018 01:13 PM

The vehicle is starting just fine...just an occasional split second or two grinding sound at "push button" start.

kenchan 12-22-2018 01:38 PM

yep, vtc actuator rattle. my GK did that this am when i moved the car out of the way to pull out my fun car, it did it again when i went out for authentic faux chinese take out. just a part of owning a GK.

2Rismo2 12-22-2018 02:58 PM

Sounds like the vtc issue. There is a tsb if you want to pursue it.

knope 12-22-2018 03:15 PM

Can you record it starting until you catch it happening? A video would probably help more than a description. A failing starter and vtc rattle would probably sound different.