Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Largest possible COOLER that will FIT in the back of a FIT?!?!?! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99709-largest-possible-cooler-will-fit-back-fit.html)

danman81 01-04-2019 07:58 PM

Largest possible COOLER that will FIT in the back of a FIT?!?!?!

Who likes CAMPING?!!?

Okay, I don't even own a Fit yet, although I'd like to, but I would like to know the largest possible cooler that is available on the market that will FIT in the back of a FIT (hehe).

My research is telling me this would be about 40 in x 24 in max cargo area with all of the seats up, based on this:

2015 Honda Fit First Drive - Rear Cargo area measurements | CleanMPG
and
2015 Honda Fit First Drive - Rear Cargo area measurements | CleanMPG

But i could be wrong about the dimensions, and that's where hopefully someone can help me here. But the largest cooler that's very close to those dimensions is the Yeti TUNDRA 210:

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/hard-cool...oolers#start=1

I also like the Engel 123:

https://www.engelcoolers.com/engel-e..._store=default

But it looks a little bit too wide. If anyone likes camping they will know that having a big cooler filled with ice allows you to store pretty much what you need to survive for a weekend like water. Combining that with relax mode would allow you to rough it anywhere as long as you don't get stuck. For example, like a walmart or a hospital.

woof 01-04-2019 09:02 PM

I have a Coleman Xtreme which I put in the back. It's about 28" wide x 16" deep x 17.5 high (all outside dimensions). It fits comfortably in the trunk although height is a bit of a problem since I have that rigid cargo area cover and it's hard to open the cooler because of the small clearance between it and the cover. Sure, there's a fair bit of extra space beside the cooler, and a bit in front and behind the cooler (I seem to recall that the back seats sloping back limit pushing the cooler all the way back since they hit the higher up part of the seats.).

This was as large a cooler as I was willing to put back there because I needed some space for other things. The size of my cooler also means that I can lift up one of the back seats and plop the cooler on the floor there in case I need all of the trunk for other things.

I would not want a larger cooler since I don't believe that jamming in the largest possible cooler into the trunk is a good idea.

sjd 01-06-2019 11:41 PM

My wife borrows a Yeti from work when we go camping and it fit across the back of our Fit. It's a big one but I'll have to ask exactly which one, it could be the you one linked.

Originally Posted by woof (Post 1420662)
II would not want a larger cooler since I don't believe that jamming in the largest possible cooler into the trunk is a good idea.

Why not?

wasserball 01-07-2019 08:51 AM

Sorry, I am a little lost. You measured the cargo flat area to be 40x28, but you don't show the seats up. The seat back rest tilts slightly backward into the cargo area. That means, you can not utilize the entire 28" dimension, no? Also, take into consideration what can fit through the hatch, you can tilt the cooler a little to fit pass the opening. So, it is not just the flat dimensions you are concern, it is whether the cooler can fit through the hatch or the doors.

fujisawa 01-07-2019 07:09 PM

Props for anyone who has a picture of the biggest possible cooler that can be fit the long way with the seats down. Preferably with your emotional support capybara in it. 😀

sneefy 01-08-2019 09:39 AM

If you're concerned about bringing the biggest cooler you possibly can, you should just give up and get a Winnebago because you're not camping anyway.

fibrepunk 01-15-2019 09:32 PM

I can fit the without having to fold the rear seats down.

If you are planning to spend $ on a Yeti, try doing some research on their coolers and compare to others. Take a look at the Cabela's Polar Cap® Equalizer Cooler

solidpoint 01-18-2019 09:40 PM

We had this 100 QT Coleman and took it back to get something smaller because my SO emptied the whole fridge into it and soaked me with a $100 steak bill, but it fit. It also fit behind the driver's seat with the back seat behind it down, but intrudes into the trunk.

I replaced it with the Coleman Xtreme 50QT with rear wheels, which fits nicely behind the passenger seat side of the trunk with the seat-back and bottom both up, allowing for a shallow tub behind the passenger seat full of dry goods and munchies while still allowing a full recline of the passenger side seat. The cooler will also go on the floor behind the passenger seat with partial recline. The dog gets the driver's side back seat folded flat on her princesses rug, with another Rubbermaid tub taking up the rest of the trunk stuffed full of clothes, shoes, etc.

Just a thought, 2 of the 50QT might fit in the trunk and would be more manageable. That 100QT is a beast to wrestle out to drain the water out. RX using dry ice to avoid that.

RX: getting a motorcycle tie-down with ratchet and using it as a barrier between trunk & backseat by threading it between the seat-back catches. In a crash you don't want all that weight slamming into the back of your seat @ 60-80Gs. Mine's a twin-pack from HD and has to be looped back & forth ~ 3 times to take up the length, but don't want it to pull in the sides of the car in a crash, so looking for all the elasticity I can get (same principal as unified seat-belt & shoulder strap).

WARNING: Consider how much weight you put at the very back of the vehicle as it could make it fish-tail during emergency maneuvering, resulting in loss of control.

wasserball 01-22-2019 04:10 PM

I say someone should solve the differential equation for maximum volume with respect to surface area given certain linear dimensions.

maxjd 02-19-2019 07:21 PM

On a similar note, does anybody have the cargo dimensions with the rear seats down, and the front seats in.a neutral position? I'm considering a GK fit and wondering if it'll fit my mountain bike in the back with only the front wheel off.

Uncle Gary 02-20-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxjd (Post 1423834)
On a similar note, does anybody have the cargo dimensions with the rear seats down, and the front seats in.a neutral position? I'm considering a GK fit and wondering if it'll fit my mountain bike in the back with only the front wheel off.

I regularly carry my road bicycle in my Fit that way with room to spare. A mountain bike is smaller so it should “fit” just fine.

SilverEX15 02-20-2019 01:23 PM

Consider a plug-in cooler. They're 12 or 120 volt. They can keep food frozen for days, from car to motel to car.

Geobear 04-07-2020 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by wasserball (Post 1420786)
Also, take into consideration what can fit through the hatch, you can tilt the cooler a little to fit pass the opening. So, it is not just the flat dimensions you are concern, it is whether the cooler can fit through the hatch or the doors.

Right, so about that... Can anyone point me to a post with the measurements of the hatch opening? I'm wanting to get one of the 2015 or newer Fits, but don't have one yet. I just bought a house and have realized I now need a way to get yard debris to the dump, so I was thinking about buying some trash barrels. But I want to make sure I get something that's going to fit in the Fit. (Pun fully intended, obviously) In the meantime, I'll be borrowing my parents' minivan when I need to haul them to the dump site, since basically nothing fits in the "normal" car I have now.

2Rismo2 04-07-2020 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Geobear (Post 1444752)
Right, so about that... Can anyone point me to a post with the measurements of the hatch opening? I'm wanting to get one of the 2015 or newer Fits, but don't have one yet. I just bought a house and have realized I now need a way to get yard debris to the dump, so I was thinking about buying some trash barrels. But I want to make sure I get something that's going to fit in the Fit. (Pun fully intended, obviously) In the meantime, I'll be borrowing my parents' minivan when I need to haul them to the dump site, since basically nothing fits in the "normal" car I have now.

Have you considered getting a hitch and those hitch carriers for the current car? Would probably be a lot cheaper than a whole new car, plus you keep that stuff out of the inside of your vehicle :)

Geober 04-07-2020 10:53 AM

.. error ..

2Rismo2 04-07-2020 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Geober (Post 1444767)
Well, my current vehicle is old and ready to be replaced anyway, so I'm not putting money into it anymore. But I have considered getting a hitch for my next one! ☺
Still wondering about the dimensions of the Fit's back door, though.

Why do you have two accounts? One Geober and Geobear?

Geobear 04-07-2020 02:05 PM

e

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1444762)
Have you considered getting a hitch and those hitch carriers for the current car? Would probably be a lot cheaper than a whole new car, plus you keep that stuff out of the inside of your vehicle :)

Well, my current vehicle is old and ready to be replaced anyway, so I'm not putting money into it anymore. But I have considered getting a hitch for my next one! ☺
Still wondering about the dimensions of the Fit's back door, though.

Geobear 04-07-2020 02:06 PM

Oops!

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1444772)
Why do you have two accounts? One Geober and Geobear?

Ugh, because of not paying attention. When I signed up last night I accidentally left the "a" out of my username, and then I couldn't figure out how to delete the account or fix the spelling, so I had to create a new one. But then when I replied back to you today, I was on my phone, and didn't realize that my phone's browser was still logged into the bad account. Sorry. I've edited the message that came from the bad account to "delete" it, and reposted it from my real account. And I logged my phone into the right account, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Apparently all those times my mom told me to slow down and go back and proofread my work when I was a kid...I probably should have listened.

wasserball 04-07-2020 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by sneefy (Post 1420864)
If you're concerned about bringing the biggest cooler you possibly can, you should just give up and get a Winnebago because you're not camping anyway.

Please help me with the rules on "camping". OP has a legitimate question about the largest size of cooler that will fit in the Fit..

NWCH 04-08-2020 06:36 PM

I use a Yeti 45 in the back of our 2018. Fits about perfect in the back of the hatch.