Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   How long should I expect my 2015 EX 6spd Manual to last with regular maintenance? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99752-how-long-should-i-expect-my-2015-ex-6spd-manual-last-regular-maintenance.html)

Ogrelode 01-11-2019 04:28 AM

How long should I expect my 2015 EX 6spd Manual to last with regular maintenance?

Hello, I have a 2015 EX that I got as a trade in, when I got it, it had 44k miles, it now has a bit over 46k. My previous car was a 2000 Toyota avalon, it got horrible mileage. I do mostly city driving and recently calculated that i am getting an average of 31mpg. I will be doing regular maintenance as needed, oil change every 5k, tranny fluid change every 40k. Will it last over 100k or 150k as long as I take care of it? I am a bit considered as it was made in Mexico, but no problems so far. Am curious to see if anyone here has any of the 3rd gen Mexico made fits with over 100k.

wasserball 01-11-2019 07:57 AM

I plan to keep my 17 LX CVT for a while. Now at 32K miles, still on OEM tires. Not one who needs a new car every 3 years or so. My expectation is a minimum of 250K miles. My previous Honda Civic FE got 225K and it was going strong. I sold it because it was hit on the side, not my fault. Even my BMW had 190K miles until the cosmetics started to deteriorate and maintenance costs would have exceed its value. Sold that to a friend who does his own maintenance. Changing oil and filter is the most important insurance, so I do change oil/filter myself, regularly. Without the undercover in place, I can change the oil and filter in less than 15 minutes. Both cars were bought new.

2Rismo2 01-11-2019 08:36 AM

I'm fully hoping that the fit should get easily 200k. Mine has 70k and I've only had to do regular maintenance like oil and filters, and one cvt fluid and tire change. My oci is closer to 10k but I do a lot of highway miles.

Uncle Gary 01-11-2019 11:21 AM

Living in the “rust belt” I figure my Fit will rust out long before it wears out.

Fuelish 01-11-2019 11:40 AM

Any car made in the last decade, or more, should easy last way more than 100000 miles, with proper maintenance...if the previous owner took good care of it (the wild card, here), and you take good care of it, you should be fine

evilchargerfan 01-11-2019 02:28 PM

id be happy to get 250k out of mine

one guy with a ge8 was able to get 500k
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...00k-miles.html

ashchuckton 01-11-2019 02:32 PM

It will easily go 200,000 + if you take care of it. No doubt in my mind about that. IMO made in Mexico makes no difference. Keep on truckin!

bargainguy 01-11-2019 04:45 PM

My last two vehicles - an '08 Sport with 150k and a Civic with 177k - met their demise via crashes with a red light runner and a deer. Those vehicles would have kept going a lot longer if not for the trauma.

Pretty much any import these days will last with the recommended maintenance. If you do that, in addition, the trick is to repair little stuff before it gets to be big stuff or overwhelming in some way.

fitchet 01-11-2019 04:51 PM

IMO impossible to answer, and really impossible to know.

If I have an opinion on it? Well I think automotive industry standards keep build quality for everyone at a pretty high standard these days. I think most cars are built and designed to be at least reliable enough to be relatively problem free, through the usual 3-5 year period that people are often paying off their automotive loans. Which for me? I would expect good reliability through 50-75,000 miles or more.
Really, if I bought a vehicle brand new, and did all the regular maintenance diligently, I'd be disappointed if I had a major problem before 100,000 miles. But that's not a hard and fast rule. Things can happen.

My advice is maintain the best you can, with what you can afford or DIY. I think you can expect good/great reliability. IMO 44K, is nearly nothing. Again I just expect good reliability on most components until I at least reach 75K.
The caveat being with a used vehicle you really don't know the history of those 44K miles. BUT.....again...that's really the ultimate truth with nearly all used car purchases. If it's running well today, and not showing any symptoms of problems? I'd relax.

I have less than 30,000 K on my 2016. Which I bought brand new, and have been maintaining per manufacturers recommendation. And not surprisingly, no major problem yet.

The only real problems that have manifested. Broken latch on the center console. And maybe slightly more disturbing, I have started this winter to get the nearly infamous Honda Fit split second grinding sound on start up.
But besides those two issues it's been great.

My final observation is when a vehicle starts to go severely south in terms of it's mechanical reliability....you'll know it. Your yearly maintenance cost ledger will reveal it. But that you can just let play out in time.
How long a mechanical entity can last? The answer is really indefinitely, depending on how much you're willing to invest into keeping it going. But the truth is mechanical things both wear out and break, and also can be repaired and/or replaced.

solidpoint 01-18-2019 09:09 PM

Assuming proper maintenance, how many miles per year, so, how old your car gets, is the biggest variable.

Many, many people get 250-500,000 miles out of vehicles mfg since 2000, but they typically have long commutes so put those miles on before the vehicle gets very old. I've been using Mobile 1 Extended Wear 15,000mi oil, and am switching to Annual Protection 20,000 mi oil. I only drive 5-7k per year, and Honda doesn't like oil in the crank for more than a year (sulfuric acid concerns AFAICT) so it's overkill (I'm going 18 months as the computer program that drives the Remaining Oil Life indicator doesn't seem to know about Super Oils), but I've put a lot of nice upgrades like 3M Crystaline Film, new Michelin Defender T+H tires, etc on mine. Also, at 60+ and on a fixed income I don't want to HAVE to buy a new car. (I do love the Civic Si though, so maybe in the future if they tone down the graphics).

The thing I absolutely LOVE about the post 2014 FIT is the engine is absolutely state-of-the-art. You can buy a $65k Bimmer or Lexus and not have any more advanced engine. Now if I could buy a FIT with a Turbocharger at ~ 175-205 hp I would snap at the chance - as long as it wasn't a pimp-mobile ticket getter like the Civic Si.

GolNat 01-18-2019 11:05 PM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/fa/fa49...a824d296b3.jpg