Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Key Fob won't remotely unlock doors but works otherwise (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99860-key-fob-wont-remotely-unlock-doors-but-works-otherwise.html)

JohnRaphael 01-26-2019 02:07 AM

Key Fob won't remotely unlock doors but works otherwise

Hello,

I have a weird problem with one of my two Key Fob on my 2016 Honda Fit EX. One key fob works perfectly. The other one can works to start the car and I can unlock the doors when I put my hand on the door handle, but it won't let me lock/unlock the car remotely. The lock, unlock and panic keys do not work. When I press on them, there's a little light above the button on the key fob that flashes twice, which is weird. When I press on the other key fob, that light only flashes once. I recently had a low battery in this key fob, so I went to the store and replaced it. Now both key fobs have the exact same battery and I even swapped them to make sure it wasn't a low battery issue, to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what the two flashes mean? I spent a bunch of time of Google and on these forums looking for someone with the same issue as mine but couldn't. Most websites talk about a low battery, which wouldn't be the case here, or some contact or physical issue, which is possible but the key works for the most part. Any idea?

GolNat 01-26-2019 07:51 AM

Sounds like it might need to be reprogrammed to the car. There is a procedure somewhere.

Try this:

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blo...r-honda-remote

fitchet 01-26-2019 08:07 AM

Well, if it was me?
Even though you swapped the new battery between the two fobs and it doesn't appear to be the battery, I think the first and cheapest approach would be to buy another new battery and just give it a shot. Also if you buy a new battery and put it in, you can take a visual look and see if anything looks wrong. I'd also take the current battery out and let the fob sit for a period of time.

You have nothing to lose but the cost of another new battery, by buying a new battery, Every other potential move, get's pretty expensive.
I'd keep my fingers crossed, and try this first.

blkfit2015 01-28-2019 03:46 AM

If you are still within warranty or not far from expiration, I would take it to the dealer. Show them how one key-fob works fine and the other does not.

JohnRaphael 02-08-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by blkfit2015 (Post 1422168)
If you are still within warranty or not far from expiration, I would take it to the dealer. Show them how one key-fob works fine and the other does not.

Thanks for the suggestion, that worked! The keyfob was defective and the dealership replaced it and reprogrammed it at no charge. They also mentioned that those push-to-start keyfobs cannot be reprogrammed by customer. They use special computers for that. Also the warranty was a bit of a gamble because they quote a $150 diagnostics fee that has to be paid if the issue isn't covered by the warranty and they can't tell you if it's covered until they diagnose the issue. Anyway, it worked out in the end!

SilverEX15 02-11-2019 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 1422068)
Sounds like it might need to be reprogrammed to the car. There is a procedure somewhere.

Try this:

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blo...r-honda-remote

Only the dealer can program the 3rd generation Fit key fob, but once it is programmed, it cannot be changed. We have an extra one from a different Fit, but we can't do anything with it. A new one will cost about $350, according to several dealers. I find that hard to believe, but every time I'm at a different Honda dealer, I ask. "About $350" is the answer.

SilverEX15 02-11-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRaphael (Post 1423070)
Thanks for the suggestion, that worked! The keyfob was defective and the dealership replaced it and reprogrammed it at no charge. They also mentioned that those push-to-start keyfobs cannot be reprogrammed by customer. They use special computers for that. Also the warranty was a bit of a gamble because they quote a $150 diagnostics fee that has to be paid if the issue isn't covered by the warranty and they can't tell you if it's covered until they diagnose the issue. Anyway, it worked out in the end!

Excellent! "Special computers" :rotfl:

BOGEY 06-26-2019 05:29 PM

Hi, I am new here, just bought used 2017 fit-lx cvt. If the key fob goes bad and is out of warranty can you just use the key to lock and unlock car?

SilverEX15 06-27-2019 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by BOGEY (Post 1431022)
Hi, I am new here, just bought used 2017 fit-lx cvt. If the key fob goes bad and is out of warranty can you just use the key to lock and unlock car?

I don't know about the fob "going bad," but it's more likely you'll have to replace the battery or replace the fob (if you lose it). Right now, I've misplaced one of my fobs, and I'm a bit concerned.

2Rismo2 06-27-2019 08:29 AM

If you've got an LX, then the key will still open the door but if the fob is bad it may not be able to start the car.

SilverEX15 06-27-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1431061)
If you've got an LX, then the key will still open the door but if the fob is bad it may not be able to start the car.

They really should have added an ignition lock just for that reason. You can use the key to get into the car, but you can't start it.

2Rismo2 06-27-2019 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1431068)
They really should have added an ignition lock just for that reason. You can use the key to get into the car, but you can't start it.

Right, I thought the keys for the fit have the transponder in them so if the fob is bad, it won't let you start the car. Is that what you mean?

SilverEX15 06-27-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1431069)
Right, I thought the keys for the fit have the transponder in them so if the fob is bad, it won't let you start the car. Is that what you mean?

The transponder has the key inside it. You can remove the actual metal key to open the driver's door, but that's all it will do. I guess it would come in handy if it was raining, or if there was someone chasing you. :)

2Rismo2 06-27-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1431071)
The transponder has the key inside it. You can remove the actual metal key to open the driver's door, but that's all it will do. I guess it would come in handy if it was raining, or if there was someone chasing you. :)

What you are describing is the "smartkey" that the EX and up models have.

The LX does NOT have a smart key, so the transponder is built into the black plastic casing.

When you say ignition lock, what is that?

SilverEX15 06-27-2019 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1431074)
What you are describing is the "smartkey" that the EX and up models have.

The LX does NOT have a smart key, so the transponder is built into the black plastic casing.

When you say ignition lock, what is that?

Understood. By ignition lock, I meant the place on the dash where you insert the key.

BOGEY 06-27-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1431083)
Understood. By ignition lock, I meant the place on the dash where you insert the key.

I wanted to remove the key fob battery to see if car would start using the key. I can't find the instructions on how to remove/change the key fob battery in the owners manual. I took out the small screw on fob and I see there is a notch on side of the key fob that looks like you insert a screw driver in it and twist to open. I tried this and the case does not budge and I am afraid to use too much force. This is an LX without smartkey. I hope my forum friends can help me with this. Thanks, Bogey

BOGEY 06-27-2019 01:58 PM

I apologize for my last post. I went on line to page 395 of owners manual and found instructions to change key fob battery. I was able to open key fob and with key fob open (no battery power) I was able to start and put car in reverse gear and back out of garage. SO, for the LX model it appears I can just use my key if key fob malfunctions. At least I know where to see the manual on line.