Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Buying Advice (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/99868-buying-advice.html)

iflylo01 01-27-2019 01:25 PM

Buying Advice

Hey guys,

Just signed up for this forum today. Going to buy a 2019 Honda Fit EX CVT. Would like some buying advice from Fit owners. This would be my first new car. Just wanna know how much y'all paid for your 2019 Fit EX CVT? Any buying advice or tips before I head to the dealership. I would like to buying before this month ends for the best deal possible. There's a $500 off for recent college grad and I am not gonna bring that up until the very end. Any advice?

I wanna put $14k down and finance the rest thru Honda Finance, if rates are good. I have a pretty good credit score and know I will make the payments on time. The downfall is I have been unemployed the last full year but I am starting a new job this week. Will I be eligible for financing thru them since my loan amount will be pretty low?

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

bargainguy 01-27-2019 02:03 PM

When I got my '16 LX new a few years back, I played the internet game of pitting all the dealerships against each other to see who would get me in the door first.

I started with a quote from the Costco buying program. That was a baseline price to establish what a possible discount would be, but I wanted better than that.

Emailed the internet person at each of five Honda dealerships, told them what I wanted: CVT, Aegean Blue, nothing else.

Watched the quotes carefully. Had to set up a little table to show how some quotes didn't include destination, state-allowed dealership fees (up to $299 in my state), etc., so it wasn't always their final quote, because their final quote didn't include everything.

Found the one place with the lowest quote, went in to talk with them. Threatened to walk out a couple times in an effort to go even lower. Finally got ~$1100 off list, or about $700 better than the Costco price.

You will learn a lot about each dealership by their responses to you. Many will try to follow-up with you. Good luck.

iflylo01 01-27-2019 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bargainguy (Post 1422141)
When I got my '16 LX new a few years back, I played the internet game of pitting all the dealerships against each other to see who would get me in the door first.

I started with a quote from the Costco buying program. That was a baseline price to establish what a possible discount would be, but I wanted better than that.

Emailed the internet person at each of five Honda dealerships, told them what I wanted: CVT, Aegean Blue, nothing else.

Watched the quotes carefully. Had to set up a little table to show how some quotes didn't include destination, state-allowed dealership fees (up to $299 in my state), etc., so it wasn't always their final quote, because their final quote didn't include everything.

Found the one place with the lowest quote, went in to talk with them. Threatened to walk out a couple times in an effort to go even lower. Finally got ~$1100 off list, or about $700 better than the Costco price.

You will learn a lot about each dealership by their responses to you. Many will try to follow-up with you. Good luck.

I was offered $18782 for a 2019 Honda Fit EX CVT, not including fees and such, good deal?

It is their end-of-the-month sale. $1073 off price. $19,855 down to $18782.

inkeye 01-27-2019 08:08 PM

I think fees and taxes will probably be in the $1200 range. I bought my 2017 EX used but with relatively low mileage for under $15k (with all fees, etc). It was probably a fair deal but not a steal. Dave Ramsey always suggests buying used because of the depreciation of a new car. You could essentially pay for a used car with that kind of down payment and not have any car payments. This way you can use that extra monthly payment to go on trips with your new-to-you fit or other vacations or modding the car.

bargainguy 01-28-2019 10:37 AM

Have you comparison shopped dealers in your area for the same vehicle? That's the answer to your question.

blkfit2015 01-28-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by bargainguy (Post 1422182)
Have you comparison shopped dealers in your area for the same vehicle? That's the answer to your question.

Agree with this.
As you already know which model/color/options you want, just compare actual quotes from dealers in your area to make your decision.
Given its a new 2019 FIT CVT, ~18k+ is a reasonable price. I figured the most, if you do get more discount, is just a hundred or so. As you get closer to any particular dealer, you can see if they can throw you some freebies during your purchase. Its give and take.. You gotta make the sales guy feel he is getting some profit for him to give you free stuff.
Another option is go with a certified pre-owned. You get the factory warranty at lower price. Yes, its not new and usually no real choice on color or option availability. Its a personal choice.

FlaCharlie 01-30-2019 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by iflylo01 (Post 1422136)
Hey guys,

Just signed up for this forum today. Going to buy a 2019 Honda Fit EX CVT. Would like some buying advice from Fit owners. This would be my first new car. Just wanna know how much y'all paid for your 2019 Fit EX CVT? Any buying advice or tips before I head to the dealership. I would like to buying before this month ends for the best deal possible. There's a $500 off for recent college grad and I am not gonna bring that up until the very end. Any advice?

I wanna put $14k down and finance the rest thru Honda Finance, if rates are good. I have a pretty good credit score and know I will make the payments on time. The downfall is I have been unemployed the last full year but I am starting a new job this week. Will I be eligible for financing thru them since my loan amount will be pretty low?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...good-deal.html

inkeye 01-31-2019 10:52 AM

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/car-buying-tips

fitchet 02-01-2019 09:47 PM

Would it sound snarky and petty of me to suggest that if you've been unemployed for a year, and are now just starting a new job, maybe I would hold off on making a new car purchase until I got a better handle on what my employment situation is going to be?

I mean sometimes new jobs don't work out.

Maybe get something used and more modest, that you could flip in a trade in, in about a year? Maybe something you could buy cash outright? Save most of that 14K, and even perhaps add to it as money starts to come in?
In a year, you'd probably have potentially even a bigger down payment....if you wanted. And also, Honda Fit production may increase, and you'd have greater choices. In the meantime, you're not having to worry about starting out...and making new car payments simultaneously.

ashchuckton 02-02-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by fitchet (Post 1422585)
Would it sound snarky and petty of me to suggest that if you've been unemployed for a year, and are now just starting a new job, maybe I would hold off on making a new car purchase until I got a better handle on what my employment situation is going to be?

I mean sometimes new jobs don't work out.

Maybe get something used and more modest, that you could flip in a trade in, in about a year? Maybe something you could buy cash outright? Save most of that 14K, and even perhaps add to it as money starts to come in?
In a year, you'd probably have potentially even a bigger down payment....if you wanted. And also, Honda Fit production may increase, and you'd have greater choices. In the meantime, you're not having to worry about starting out...and making new car payments simultaneously.

That is not snarky at all. It's very good advice.

SFL_Fit 02-03-2019 08:47 AM

Honestly if you have 14k to put down just go find a used low millage fit on craigslist you can buy that out cash and not worry about the payments

Spyke 02-09-2019 12:55 PM

Buy something used straight up for cash, no payments, pay $300 for a good PPI

Use a gas credit card to build credit, and save yourself the dumb interest and stress of a car payment. (Yes, even if it's only $200-$400 a month)

(Typically they're going to want the last 3 months of bank statements and want to see lots of money coming in and nothing payed out. If not, that interest will be high for you being in between jobs in that time period.)

SilverEX15 02-11-2019 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by iflylo01 (Post 1422136)
Hey guys,

Be ready for the lies.

My son just bought one, and it took over a month to get it. All the local dealers show them on their web sites, but they don't have them. The dealer added one wheel lock to each wheel for $113. I told them to remove them. If I wanted them, I could buy them for under
$20. Do not get any extras. If you want a Honda item, look online and save money buying from Honda dealers who sell online at a discount. For many things, you don't need the actual Honda part. Be prepared to pay sticker price. With the shortage and demand, no one is going to give you a discount. The dealer might add a "Fee" of some kind, just because he can - supply and demand.

Get good floor mats front, rear, and hatch area. Get good seat covers. You can easily replace the interior lights with bright, last-forever LEDs. We have shark fin antennas on both of ours. They look better, and they're not asking to be broken.
https://www.google.com/search?q=shar...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The belly pan tends to fall off. Many of us have come up with more secure ways to attach it. Replacement cost is ridiculous. You might want the Honda mud flaps and side molding. Buy them online. Benardi Honda is a good online seller, but you might find someone cheaper.

SilverEX15 02-11-2019 04:17 PM

My local credit union (my bank) had a very low interest rate for the 2019, much better than Honda. When we bought the two 2015 Fits, Honda was offering loans at something like 1.5%, so we financed through them. Join a credit union, if you can. Ours is high on service and low on charges.