3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Thoughts on 2019 EX-L Fit & Finish + Honda Sensing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 PM
Question Thoughts on 2019 EX-L Fit & Finish + Honda Sensing?

I am currently starting my research for a possible replacement for my rapidly aging 2012 Ford Fiesta sedan later in the fall. Figured the best place to ask about Fit opinions was on a forum full of past and present owners.

My car needs are light as I work from home, but I like the idea of a car with flexible storage for when I need to haul something home, as well decent comfort and fuel use on long road trips.

My thought was to go for a less expensive car but higher trim to get better features for the price. So first, I'm wondering what your thoughts on the EX (and EX-L) fit and finish was in that light. Finally got a decent job and kind of want to splurge on the "luxury" with the expectation that I'm still working with what some would consider an entry-level car.

I haven't had a chance to see one in person as the local Honda dealerships never really keep them in stock long, and I had to drive 45 minutes just to check out the most basic model. I'm actually considering making a 2-hour trip to a larger dealership in Ohio's capital because they seem to have EX & EX-Ls in stock.

Also, I'd love to hear opinions on the Honda Sensing driver assist package compared to other cars in similar classes. Now that I'm finally admitting my mortality to myself I don't know that I would want a new car without safety features like braking and adaptive cruise control.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
When I bought my 2015, I had actually had the intention of buying the EX-L model. I had priced it out and was comfortable with the payments. As soon as I sat in it though, I didn't think the quality of the leather was that nice, not nice enough to justify the price difference. I drove home in an EX instead. I've been pretty happy with it. Other than the Q/C issues of a first year car, it's been very reliable and gets great MPG. I've taken it on a 7 hour road trip and it was perfectly comfortable.

As far as the sensing package. I wouldn't know. I don't want a car with all that junk personally.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
I've got a 2018 EX with sensing, and for my daily commute it's been great. Adaptive cruise control and lane-keep-assist are nice features that i've found work as well as I would expect.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Given the parameter and desires you seem to be expressing, I think the Honda Fit is almost by definition perfect. The EX trim level will give you those "luxury" niceties you are looking for.
But IMO the Honda Fit at the higher trim levels is no "bargain". You paying more for the Honda nameplate, and hopefully also Honda quality.

OK get ready for some Fit Freak "Heresy". But another vehicle I would perhaps recommend checking out, would be the Nissan Versa Hatchback. My brother recently bought one, and it seems very "Fit" like. I think my brother liked my Honda Fit, but didn't want to pay as much. So he ended up with a Versa.
From my perspective, it's seems like a pretty good vehicle. Fit, finish, safety features, all very comparable. The big "win" for the Honda Fit would be the "Magic Seats" configuration capability. But if regular flip down the seat hatch back storage is good enough? I think it's a good alternative choice and possibly cheaper.

If I was immediately in the market? I'd look at Honda's own Civic hatchback. And I might look at Mazda's hatchback products. I'd also take a look at the KIA Soul.

Then sit back and choose.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
An FYI...

I went from a 2015 LX to a 2018 EX with Honda Sense. My insurance went down because of the Honda Sense.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
An FYI...

I went from a 2015 LX to a 2018 EX with Honda Sense. My insurance went down because of the Honda Sense.
You know change is inevitable.
I've never bought a vehicle that in a model year or two things weren't added that I wish I had. But usually, it's just minor stuff.
IMO however Honda Sense is a pretty significant advancement in safety equipment. I like my 2016, but I'm disappointed that I have missed out on Honda Sense.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
I'm all for the advanced safety features. I just hope that they are fairly reliable, because it's my understanding that the cost of repairs on cars equipped with them has gone up greatly as a result.

I heard one example the other day. Fellow got a crack in the windshield of a newer Ford Fusion with the safety suite, and it had to be replaced. Problem is, said windshield now has sensors embedded for the safety features. The whole unit has to be OEM, installed and then recalibrated. Increased parts cost, increased labor. $$$$ compared to a straightforward windshield/glass replacement, it was something like triple what just the glass would have been.

Last edited by bargainguy; 02-01-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
I'm all for the advanced safety features. I just hope that they are fairly reliable, because it's my understanding that the cost of repairs on cars equipped with them has gone up greatly as a result.

I heard one example the other day. Fellow got a crack in the windshield of a newer Ford Fusion with the safety suite, and it had to be replaced. Problem is, said windshield now has sensors embedded for the safety features. The whole unit has to be OEM, installed and then recalibrated. Increased parts cost, increased labor. $$$$ compared to a straightforward windshield/glass replacement, it was something like triple what just the glass would have been.
That's true.
The cost of replacing sensors now existing in a windshield and recalibration makes replacing said windshield a much more expensive and daunting task.
But I still think the safety advancement is worth it. I mean if it saves my life or the lives of others? I'm not really going to complain too much that windshield glass replacement is now not as cheap and simple as it use to be.

That being said, I wonder if automakers could figure out new places or ways of positioning the sensors that did NOT tie them into the windshield?
Especially with the Honda Fit...every winter is a pretty good chance I might need to replace the windshield. I've already had to replace mine once. In my area, they mostly use gravel after snow storms, and driving around after the storm, but once the snow has melted is a real windshield cracking gauntlet.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
An FYI...

My insurance went down because of the Honda Sense.
Well, that makes "sense."

Old 02-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Regarding fit and finish, if the dealer has a car wash, ask them to run it through and check for water on the floors.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Cost of windshield replacement goes up, but weigh that against your deductible and insurance rate increase after an accident you would otherwise have avoided. .. Even if it don't concern with the possibility of getting hurt.

Complaining that the safety features cost more to repair is kind of like complaining about indoor toilets because it costs more to run the plumbing...

Old 02-19-2019, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
...Complaining that the safety features cost more to repair is kind of like complaining about indoor toilets because it costs more to run the plumbing...
Please don't mischaracterize my comment, which was about reliability of the new safety systems and that not everyone is aware of the cost involved.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
I love my 2015 Fit EXL. I didn't think I would like the leather seats but my mom convinced me to get them. I love them. I should have got the Navi but there is a mickey mouse Honda Link that works with my iPhone to provide map on the 7" screen. It works well if you have unlimited data. So....get the most bells and whistles you can afford. I did put in new LEDs in the cabin as the OEM bulbs are not bright. I like the upgrade. Waiting for new Phillips e-XTREME head lights to give me a brighter view at night. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
OP

off topic ... but.... mind sharing your experience with a ford fiesta?

-how many miles on it?
-what was maint like?
-any unscheduled repairs / unscheduled maint?
-any recalls?
-more things you can add?

(I'm considering a fiesta st as the next car)

Old 02-20-2019, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
My son's 2019 has the Sensing, and I wish my 2015 had it. My Garmin GPS gives me warnings about similar situations, but it doesn't do anything about them.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
But with an outhouse you don't have to jiggle the handle....

Originally Posted by fujisawa
Complaining that the safety features cost more to repair is kind of like complaining about indoor toilets because it costs more to run the plumbing...
I agree.
But we're not really complaining about repairing the "safety features" as much as pointing out, those safety features now make replacing a windshield much more expensive.
IMO placement of these sensors in the windshield, which IMO is a wear item, is unfortunate. I mean if you own an operate a vehicle long enough? The likelihood that you'll have to replace the windshield is pretty high. If you live in a area that frequently get's snow and ice storms, nearly unavoidable. I always breath a sigh of relief if I make it to Spring and my windshield is intact. -Even though they can catch a rock or crack in any season.
Therefore, it's more of a design question. I have to wonder if the sensors couldn't be placed in areas that are less prone to needing replacement.
The reality now? Does make replacement a PIA. Often you may have to replace sensors, at the very least have them re-aimed and re-calibrated, which of course, unfortunately isn't cheap. And all this if you just happened to get a crack in your windshield.
Maybe the answer is NO...the sensors have to be placed where they are placed. But from a design standpoint I wish automakers would at least investigate placement options.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=fitchet;1423857]But we're not really complaining about repairing the "safety features" as much as pointing out, those safety features now make replacing a windshield much more expensive./QUOTE]

In NY, I've always had windshields replaced for free, regardless of the cause. I once broke a windshield while mowing the lawn. The mower threw a rock into the windshield and cracked it. I don't know if it's because of the coverage I've always had or because of State law, but replacement has always been free.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
All car manufacturers are adding these safety features to their cars as their lineup moves through redesign cycles. It's a competitive advantage because buyers are looking for these things and as well, government regulation and pressure from the insurance industry will force this. Think of it like seat belts or air bags. Every car will have them and every car will go up similarly in price to pay for this. And yes, repair costs will go up as well.

The only difference at the moment is that you have an option since some cars have this and some cars don't. You have a choice if you want to take it. In a few years time there will be no choice.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
All car manufacturers are adding these safety features to their cars as their lineup moves through redesign cycles. It's a competitive advantage because buyers are looking for these things and as well, government regulation and pressure from the insurance industry will force this. Think of it like seat belts or air bags. Every car will have them and every car will go up similarly in price to pay for this. And yes, repair costs will go up as well.

The only difference at the moment is that you have an option since some cars have this and some cars don't. You have a choice if you want to take it. In a few years time there will be no choice.
Speaking of options and safety, I'm surprised that DRL are still optional. I see lots of new cars without them. They don't show up well in fog, dim lighting, etc.

Many years ago, I had a subscription to the English car magazine "Autocar." When seat belts were becoming mandatory in England, many people objected. One of the reasons for not having them was that they would give drivers a false sense of security, and they would drive recklessly. Yes, that was what they actually said. I've had seat belts in my cars since I started driving, long before they were mandatory. My MG had both lap and shoulder belts - and I didn't drive recklessly.

There was a huge controversy over air bags before they were made mandatory. Thousands of drivers would be killed every year by airbags that went off unexpectedly or didn't go off at all. Aside from the intentional manufacture of bad bags by Tanaka, airbags have proven to be life savers. I foresee the same results from these new electronics sensors.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
what are the chances, the op (1 post count) is gonna return and read all of this wonderful stuff we all typed up?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 2019 EX-L Fit & Finish + Honda Sensing?