Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   Dust and Pollen Filter - Very Dirty (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/91297-dust-pollen-filter-very-dirty.html)

SilverEX15 10-10-2015 04:17 PM

Dust and Pollen Filter - Very Dirty

When I replaced the filter in my son's Fit after one year and 26,000 miles, I was surprised at how dirty it was, so I checked mine, same age, but with only 12,000 miles. It, too, was filthy. I'll be replacing them every year now, rather than waiting for the cars to tell me to replace them.

This is what I used. This picture is green, but the filters were white, just like the originals.

Bassguitarist1985 10-10-2015 11:19 PM

I too checked mine today and it was pretty dirty and i only got 19k. Better in the filter than in the cabin or in my lungs :-)

SilverEX15 10-11-2015 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 (Post 1322904)
I too checked mine today and it was pretty dirty and i only got 16k. Better in the filter than in the cabin or in my lungs :-)

Definitely! Cars should have had them years ago.

CyclingFit 10-11-2015 10:36 PM

18,000 and mine was very dirty. I'll be doing the cabin and engine yearly, averaging 18k per year. Waiting for the light seems too far away.

SilverEX15 10-12-2015 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by CyclingFit (Post 1322962)
18,000 and mine wad very dirty. I'll be doing the cabin and engine yearly, averaging 18k per year. Waiting for the light seems too far away.

When the car says it's ready, I'm going to use K&N air filters in both Fits. I've been using them in everything for years.

CyclingFit 10-12-2015 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1322983)
When the car says it's ready, I'm going to use K&N air filters in both Fits. I've been using them in everything for years.

Not to create any debate because I too like K&N.. Just some advice from a guy on the web that you don't know. Years of parts store management experience talking. 1. Be very careful with K&N filters on cars that use mass air flow sensors. The oil can come off of the K&N and get on the MAF. Make sure to properly dry and not over oil is key. This same statement is true on diesel engines that use intake grid heaters. 2. I was amazed to see the MAF sensor only a few inches from the filter. This would make it even easier to get the oil on the sensor wire. 3. Before anyone believes a mass air fault code or a car running oddly with MAF symptoms, there is an aerosol cleaner specifically for MAF sensors.

Just .02 cents from a guy you don't know. Hope it helps along the way.

Bassguitarist1985 10-12-2015 01:34 PM

ive stuck with OEM air filters and oil filters because my contact at Honda hooks me up big time. The cabin filter i can see not going OEM though.

KikeDiaz 10-13-2015 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1322870)
When I replaced the filter in my son's Fit after one year and 26,000 miles, I was surprised at how dirty it was, so I checked mine, same age, but with only 12,000 miles. It, too, was filthy. I'll be replacing them every year now, rather than waiting for the cars to tell me to replace them.

My fit was also pretty dirt and it was like 1 or 2 miles when I check it up to get familiar with the comments and it was dirt. So every time I clean my car I take out the cabin air filter and i give it a little bumps so it will get clean. It helps a lot.

SilverEX15 10-13-2015 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by KikeDiaz (Post 1323149)
My fit was also pretty dirt and it was like 1 or 2 miles when I check it up to get familiar with the comments and it was dirt. So every time I clean my car I take out the cabin air filter and i give it a little bumps so it will get clean. It helps a lot.

I think that should be a regular practice, especially since it's so easy to get at.

2Rismo2 10-13-2015 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by CyclingFit (Post 1323015)
Not to create any debate because I too like K&N.. Just some advice from a guy on the web that you don't know. Years of parts store management experience talking. 1. Be very careful with K&N filters on cars that use mass air flow sensors. The oil can come off of the K&N and get on the MAF. Make sure to properly dry and not over oil is key. This same statement is true on diesel engines that use intake grid heaters. 2. I was amazed to see the MAF sensor only a few inches from the filter. This would make it even easier to get the oil on the sensor wire. 3. Before anyone believes a mass air fault code or a car running oddly with MAF symptoms, there is an aerosol cleaner specifically for MAF sensors.

Just .02 cents from a guy you don't know. Hope it helps along the way.

That's why I've decided to stick to paper filters. I don't see the cost/time savings on a K&N. I still have to buy the cleaner/oil stuff. Plus the time to clean the filter, wait for it to dry and then oil it properly. I'll just remove old filter, toss in new paper filter and have an adult beverage. Done in 5 minutes.

The cabin air filter, I've bookmarked the Amazon link and I'll just periodically clean the bug guts out.

SilverEX15 10-13-2015 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1323157)
The cabin air filter, I've bookmarked the Amazon link and I'll just periodically clean the bug guts out.

One thing to keep in mind about the cabin filter - you have to pull on the paper to remove it, and over time, all that pulling could damage it. Be careful!

2Rismo2 10-13-2015 09:42 AM

I've cleaned it out and it doesn't take much effort to get it out of the little cubby hole. I guess if it went in cockeyed, it would be hard to get it out.

Bassguitarist1985 10-19-2015 06:47 PM

19k, here is my cabin filter. It had leaves, dirt and other debris...and I dont park under any trees.

The interval should be 15k tops, not 30k as Honda suggests. Cant complain too much, least I didnt find a mice shit and nest in there like I did on my 2011.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...41d3a57dc2.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...67f33da86.jpeg

KikeDiaz 10-21-2015 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 (Post 1323918)
The interval should be 15k tops, not 30k as Honda suggests. Cant complain too much, least I didnt find a mice shit and nest in there like I did on my 2011.
[/IMG]

My little honda did;t come with mind minder but it came with an old manual maintain schedule and I put it in en google sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1411576362

So I think I might add the changing cabin air filter to the 12 miles box.

Have you check if you motor air filter is in good shape? Have you replace it yet?

Also I read to buy carbon activated filters. They are supposed to be better filtration system with odor and other stuff. Might be good for a dollar or so more.

Look :

SilverEX15 10-21-2015 07:44 AM

In videos I've seen about replacing that filter, there is always a plastic tray holding it, so it's easier to remove. The new Fit doesn't have that, and pulling on the filter tends to rip it. That doesn't matter if you're replacing it, but if you're taking it out to clean it, you should have a new one handy, just in case it gets too badly damaged.

Bassguitarist1985 10-21-2015 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by KikeDiaz (Post 1324059)
My little honda did;t come with mind minder but it came with an old manual maintain schedule and I put it in en google sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1411576362

So I think I might add the changing cabin air filter to the 12 miles box.

Have you check if you motor air filter is in good shape? Have you replace it yet?

Also I read to buy carbon activated filters. They are supposed to be better filtration system with odor and other stuff. Might be good for a dollar or so more.....

Engine Air filter is in okay shape. I'm sure I can clean it. My honda contact hooks me up so both the cabin and engine air filter were 26 bucks out the door.

I did find the carbon activated fresh breeze filters. Its available locally for me too. The one for the GK is Fram# CF11182. Next time around I'll give it a whirla nd see how it is.

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1324069)
In videos I've seen about replacing that filter, there is always a plastic tray holding it, so it's easier to remove. The new Fit doesn't have that, and pulling on the filter tends to rip it. That doesn't matter if you're replacing it, but if you're taking it out to clean it, you should have a new one handy, just in case it gets too badly damaged.

I miss the plastic tray as well. Its not terrible there is not one though. this one didn't rip from taking it out. I banged it on the ground a few times to remove the dirt and leaves. Still amazed how dirty it was given the milage.

SilverEX15 10-21-2015 10:17 AM

I think it's funny that for so many years were were filtering the air that the engine breathed,without a care to what the people inside the car were breathing.

ilikesmallcars 01-04-2019 04:50 AM

I just changed my cabin air filter today on my 2015 Fit. At 31K it was impressively dirty, with some loose leaves (small) and dead bugs, so I will change or clean it more frequently. However, keep in mind that dirty filters are actually _more_ efficient than clean filters in capturing airborne particles. The problem with a dirty filter is that it restricts the air flow too much. In a humid climate, a dirty filter could also have some mold growth, so throw it out if it smell like mold.

2Rismo2 01-04-2019 07:15 AM

I go into my cabin air filter every 10k and just shake out what's in it. Lots of bug parts and leaf materials. Takes just a few minutes to inspect and shake it clean.

SilverEX15 01-06-2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ilikesmallcars (Post 1420634)
I just changed my cabin air filter today on my 2015 Fit. At 31K it was impressively dirty, with some loose leaves (small) and dead bugs, so I will change or clean it more frequently. However, keep in mind that dirty filters are actually _more_ efficient than clean filters in capturing airborne particles. The problem with a dirty filter is that it restricts the air flow too much. In a humid climate, a dirty filter could also have some mold growth, so throw it out if it smell like mold.

That filter is so easy to get to that I shake it out often. I use a K&N permanent filter, and I occasionally wash and re-oil it.