3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

'Clunk' shifting from 'R' to 'P'

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 05:27 PM

My new 2016 Fit LX (only 2,000 miles) takes approximately 3 to 5 minutes to wind down from 1500 rpms to 750 rpms depending on outside temperature. OK, no problem so far............BUT...........is the following 'normal'? If, after backing out of the garage (R) from 'cold' start, I place the shifter into 'Park' when I'm outside the garage within 30 seconds or so, there's a 'clunk' as if something came to an abrupt stop. Allowing the engine to warm up a few minutes after backing out of garage, it shifts JUST FINE into 'Park'......NO CLUNK AT ALL. Very smooth. Therefore, shifting AFTER the engine has warmed up causes no issues what-so-ever.

So.............is this normal............OR.............can I somehow adjust the amount of time it takes engine to go from 1500 rpms to say 750 or 800 rpms down to maybe 30 seconds or so? Maybe all the precise warm-up timing is set by Computer, and no adjustment is possible. Maybe there's something wrong with shifter/transmission that can be fixed. Local Honda Garage Service Dept had no answer to my question. He said it needs to be 'broken in'. What???

Anyone else experience this situation? Anyone with a MM have an idea as to the situation being normal, or adjustable? Thanks.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:55 AM
Instead of MM for Maintenance Manual........I meant Service Manual........as I don't own one, yet. Don't know if they are even available for 2016 Fits..........will have to check on them.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the "dashpot" variable isn't set correctly on the drive by wire throttle, its under warranty take it in! There isnt anything you can really do at home unless you have a Hondata computer to fiddle with it...

Cheers.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:40 PM

dwtaylorpdx...............many thanks. I'll look into your suggestion for sure. Hopefully next week as soon as I can find time. And as you suggest, may even take it in after I talk with Honda Service Department.

Yes, many thanks. I figured there might be an adjustment to be made.
Phil in St. Cloud, Mn.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Phillip 66
Instead of MM for Maintenance Manual........I meant Service Manual........as I don't own one, yet. Don't know if they are even available for 2016 Fits..........will have to check on them.
Service manual is online subscription based now, no paper service manual unfortunately.

As far as your problem, that's not normal at all.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Just in case, "dashpot" refers to an old carb gadget that kept the throttle from slamming shut, it was sorta like a itty bitty shock absorber.. They could be adjusted to let the idle settle form about 1200 down to normal (about 750) without stalling the engine. Your problem sounds like they have the return to idle set too long, or the actual stepper motor on the throttle body is hanging and finally breaks lose and closes. Honda does keep the engine in cold engine warmup mode for quite a while compared to some other cars.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Mine does the idle high thing. No tranny clunking though.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Just in case, "dashpot" refers to an old carb gadget that kept the throttle from slamming shut, it was sorta like a itty bitty shock absorber.. They could be adjusted to let the idle settle form about 1200 down to normal (about 750) without stalling the engine. Your problem sounds like they have the return to idle set too long, or the actual stepper motor on the throttle body is hanging and finally breaks lose and closes. Honda does keep the engine in cold engine warmup mode for quite a while compared to some other cars.
also called IAC (Idle Air Control or Idle Air Valve ) in older vehicles.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Yep the IAC or the DBW throttle bodies both have a taper function that near as I can tell is normal, but it shouldn't hang too long at the high side..

Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 PM
UPDATE for 'Clunk' shifting from 'R' to 'P'...........Thanks to all who offered some good advice and info. Well, I finally drove out to St. Cloud Honda Service Department and asked to speak to their Master Tech...they willingly obliged me. He explained everything to my satisfaction (should have done this sooner). Said that everything is 'A' ok, and that you could walk out on the lot of NEW Honda Fits and experience a small amount of 'pall engagement' shifting from 'R' to 'P' before the RPM warm-up period ended. Apparently that's just the way they were engineered - I dunno - probably have to talk to one of the Japanese Fit CVT engineers to get a more correct/accurate answer, if there is one. Good enough for me. Maybe I was just being too fussy or meticulous from the start, and exaggerated the 'clunk' sound.

dwtaylorpdx ......... you were right about the longer Honda warm-up period from cold start the Master Tech said. I can certainly live with it, as the shifting from 'R' to 'P' after 1 or 2 minutes warm-up (down to around 900 rpms) is very smooth without any 'pawl engagement' at all.

Many, many thanks to all. Phillip 66