Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   Replacing broken wing mirror cover and door attachment piece (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/97891-replacing-broken-wing-mirror-cover-door-attachment-piece.html)

lizberger 04-02-2018 01:32 PM

Replacing broken wing mirror cover and door attachment piece

Hi all, I have a 2016 Fit, and last week I backed into a pillar and really messed up my right side door mirror. The door attachment piece is cracked (it's hanging by the wires right now), and the black piece on the front of the cover that surrounds the mirror is scraped up and cracked in a few places.

The dealership told me that with parts and labor, it would cost $750 to fix. I nearly had a heart attack when I heard that. I even checked with another auto body place in town and their estimate was not much lower than that.

If it really does cost that much, I'm willing to try replacing it myself. However, I'm very inexperienced with car repairs and I'm having trouble knowing whether the kits I'm seeing online will contain what I need to replace, and also I'm worried that I'll have to disassemble the door. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of repair or have any advice to offer, especially regarding reliable sources for parts and instructions? It's much appreciated!

Liz

kenchan 04-02-2018 08:11 PM

the mirror replacement will require you to remove the door panel off to gain access to the bolts holding the mirror assembly to the door. but it's not that hard to do really. a couple of screws, a few wire harnesses, undoing a few brackets for the door lock latch (maybe) and popping off the panel.

i would first check stereo installs where they talk about speaker replacement as they will show how to remove the door panel. see if you're up for it. i think a stereo installer can even do the work. it's not rocket science. GL

kenchan 04-02-2018 08:14 PM

something like this maybe give u an idea?

lizberger 04-02-2018 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1397545)
the mirror replacement will require you to remove the door panel off to gain access to the bolts holding the mirror assembly to the door. but it's not that hard to do really. a couple of screws, a few wire harnesses, undoing a few brackets for the door lock latch (maybe) and popping off the panel.

i would first check stereo installs where they talk about speaker replacement as they will show how to remove the door panel. see if you're up for it. i think a stereo installer can even do the work. it's not rocket science. GL

Thank you!! Any ideas about where to get parts from? Any favorite suppliers/sites?

Fituna 04-02-2018 10:03 PM

OEM Honda Parts at up to 50% off MSRP | Welcome to the Honda Parts Network.

I haven't ordered from them, but prices seem right and all the pics are there.

fitchet 04-02-2018 10:43 PM

$750?
My friend just bought an entire 1991 Ford F150 truck for $750.

n9cv 04-03-2018 07:14 AM

My daughter smacked a mailbox about a year ago with her 2016. I got a used one in the right color from Brickyard in Brooklyn, IN. They mailed it to me. It took about 30 to 40 minutes to install. Give then a call.

Welcome to Brickyard Imported Cars

lizberger 04-03-2018 12:55 PM

Thanks so much for the responses everyone! I found a body shop in town that can get the parts used and will do it for just over $300, so I figure that's worth it. Many thanks!

2Rismo2 04-03-2018 02:09 PM

Was this the right side mirror? You may have to re-aim that lane watch camera if you have one.

JGM 07-09-2019 04:24 PM

Trying to find a right side mirror for my 2016 Crystal Pearl Black Fit LX. I need the whole assembly it seems. The body shop I brought it to could not find the part. The Honda dealer quoted the part at over $1,000. The mirror is power, but not heated, no integrated turn signal or camera. E-Bay has been impossible. Other net searches have gotten me nowhere in 2 weeks. The car has a whole 13,000 miles on it, but I am shocked parts seem both rare and wildly expensive. Any ideas?

n9cv 07-09-2019 05:29 PM

Call these people. I have bought several things from them including the exact mirror you are talking about after my daughter destroyed one on a rural mailbox.
Welcome to Brickyard Imported Cars

It would be nice if you told us where you are. With the location of "United States" shown I did not bother telling you where else to look. Brickyard (above) will mail the mirror to you if they have it.

bargainguy 07-09-2019 05:44 PM

Did you try used auto parts aggregators like these?

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

https://frugalmechanic.com/

A few years ago, I hit a construction barrel which took out my RH mirror on my '08 Sport. I used an aggregator to find a RH one in my color. Hope this works for you.