3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

fuel injectors and catalytic converter problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
So I have a 2015 Fit that just hit 100k. Back in December 2016, I completed the required recall because I wasn’t allowed to register my car without it. A month ago, my check engine light popped and I thought it was the gas cap (because I was having that issue also). Took it to get read today and it flashed the cat converter P0420 and P219A, which he was unfamiliar with. He cleared the codes so that he could see if they lit again.

My question: does this seem related to that recall or is this brand new and I just have to suck it up and pay $2k for all the replacement parts?

Ugh. I’m so at a loss.

Last edited by Gina*Baby; 02-06-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:02 PM
https://owners.honda.com/service-mai...ce/recalls?id=

Strange from a search on recall in the Honda website, the fuel injector problem does not show.
Mine is 2015 EX, purchased as CPO in May 2016.
VIN search does not show any pending recall. I am guessing they had fixed them all.. hopefully

Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
The fuel injector problem was not covered by a recall. It is covered under the standard warranty. Once your warranty ends and if the problem shows up after that, well then Honda's attitude is tough luck for you.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
If you have a direct injected engine,, You should be running fuel injector cleaner,, regularly.. BMW/Porsche/Audi/ and Corvette all recommend it to keep them clean.. Techron or equiv is the goto.

Also ,, if you have a direct injected motor your likely to have to deal with the carbon buildup on the Intake valve problem.

The German marques pull the intake and use a bead blaster (I believe with plastic beads) on each intake valve with the motor at TDC on the cylinder they are working on.. Its supposedly now a maintenance item about even 60 to 80K on most DI cars..

Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 PM
I’m also having this issue with my 2016 honda fit. Chrck engine light is on and my electric power steering light is on( no actual issues with steering though). Dealership said it was engine misfire.. spark plugs replaced. Same problem is back the next day. They told me I would have to come back in for fuel injection.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Costly repair if not covered under warranty. Do 2017-2018 Fits have injector/catalytic converter problem? Did Handa changed the design so later models are OK? My '17 Fit has 33K miles now, still running and idling smoothly. I don't buy the fact that I have to use a particular brand of gas or having to use injector cleaner to avoid the problem. That to me is excessive. I didn't buy a Honda to spend $5 to save $1, and it is not called for in the operating manual.

Last edited by wasserball; 02-08-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Check out this guy's thread where he did the fuel injectors himself: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...injectors.html

Old 02-07-2019, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Do 2017-2018 Fits have injector/catalytic converter problem? Did Handa changed the design so later models are OK? My '07 Fit has 33K miles now, still running and idling smoothly. I don't buy the fact that I have to use a particular brand of gas or having to use injector cleaner to avoid the problem. That to me is excessive. I didn't buy a Honda to spend $5 to save $1, and it is not called for in the operating manual.
Honda did a parts re-design sometime in early 2016 to eliminate fuel injector problem.
Honda does not recommend the use of any additives. They do recommend using top tier gas which does contain certain levels of additives..

Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Helios
I'm assuming this is the TSB: https://honda.oemdtc.com/TSB/A16-034.pdf

In that they say to check for eligibility for 15-060 recall, which is here: https://honda.oemdtc.com/Recall/JT9/A15-060.pdf

I would verify you already had that recall done. If you are stuck paying out of pocket, perhaps look at an outside shop? Looks like the injectors can be had for $661 (see link here: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-5r1-315.html). Our engines are direct injection, so i don't know what the replacement procedure is like on them.
Honda doesn't seem to go out of it's way to let people know about free repairs available to them.

Definitely look for a non-Honda repairs, but be careful about using non-Honda. An independent repair guy can buy the parts cheaper, but how much of that savings will be pass onto you?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Honda did a parts re-design sometime in early 2016 to eliminate fuel injector problem.
Honda does not recommend the use of any additives. They do recommend using top tier gas which does contain certain levels of additives..
Both Honda service and a couple of local mechanics recommend using non-ethanol gas occasionally.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Old 02-08-2019, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update. I can sleep better now. I know the Fit to many is a fun or a valued car, but to me it is an extremely economical utility car. Once in a while I have to fill the tank with gas and change the oil. I expect it to provide 250K miles service with little repairs. The car is a keeper.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:47 PM
Since you're presumably still under warranty it's worth looking in to. You could wait though until you are there for other reasons like an oil change rather than make a special trip for this.
When people say the fuel injectors are covered under warranty, do they mean the 36,000 mi. bumper-to-bumper or the 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty? My 2015 has 50,000 miles and i just got all the warning lights others are citing here.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mark Frad
When people say the fuel injectors are covered under warranty, do they mean the 36,000 mi. bumper-to-bumper or the 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty? My 2015 has 50,000 miles and i just got all the warning lights others are citing here.
I never heard of a 60,000 mile warranty on a Fit. Mine was just 36k. the next time I buy a car, I'll look for one that's rated PZEV. those are covered for 150,000 miles for emissions parts.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mark Frad
I never heard of a 60,000 mile warranty on a Fit. Mine was just 36k. the next time I buy a car, I'll look for one that's rated PZEV. those are covered for 150,000 miles for emissions parts.

EDIT: Yes, I see the powertrain is covered for 5 years and 60,000 miles. It would be hard to operate the powertrain without fuel injectors, so they must be covered. From what I've heard, injectors on the 2015 were bad, but newer Fits have different in injectors.

EDIT AGAIN: Now this is interesting. When my son's Fit needed new injectors, the dealer said nothing about the 60,000 mile warranty. I guess they like to keep that secret.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 07-15-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
the injectors saga continues

I am clinching my butt cheeks, waiting for the sad day my gk5 wants me to throw $$$ into injectors =\

Old 07-25-2019, 11:55 PM
Same problems

Same thing is happening to my 2015 Honda Fit! I was given the quote of $1,767.36

over my dead body! Looking to buy the parts online and shop around the labor. As soon as the repair is done, I’ll getting rid of it. I’ve already changed all the spark plugs, and engine coils because those were supposed to “fix” the misfires. I’m done with Honda.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
If you think that other manufacturers make better cars, well good luck with that belief.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
If you think that other manufacturers make better cars, well good luck with that belief.
Honda knows the injectors used on the 2015 Fit are bad, yet they charge us $1,700 to fix their mistake. That dropped my formerly good opinion of Honda. Now, it's just another car company. When I need another car, I'll shop around, rather than automatically buy a Honda. I've owned Hondas since 1980, but that's likely to change.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 07-26-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Angry All lights blinking and beeping

The chances are that the original problem wasn't fully diagnosed and the catalytic converter failure was actually caused by bad fuel injectors which should have been replaced at the same time. Contact Honda directly and try and make the argument that the fuel injectors should be replaced under warranty since the original problem, which occurred while the car was under warranty, was never fully diagnosed or repaired and has now shown up again.
On July 6th 2019, my 2018 Honda fit with about 8800 miles became, sick. Symptoms were all services lights started blinking and there was constant beeping. I live one mile from my Crown Honda so I drove directly there. They took it to the service bay and brought it back saying they just had to reset the computer.
On July 7th, 2019, my yellow bird did it again. Service people said they replaced the points cleaned the fuel system and replace the fuel filter.
On August 1st, my bird flew the coop and was replaced by a bunking yellow devil. Took it back to Crown Honda of Durham and they kept it for hours saying that they fixed it all and again all was covered by Warranty. But they needed it back the next day for more work.
August 2nd, Took the Darn thing back again. Can you tell I am quite fed up. I had been checking Honda's site for recalls but only came across this site and couldn't get that Recall document to print out. I had constantly told the service personnel that I had read this and only one has secretly told me I was right. They had never followed the Service notice.
I got my car back about 3 pm on Aug. 2nd 2019. I got into my Yellow fit at 4:50pm to go to work and IT did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I drove straight back to Crown Honda and my service rep ran and got the mechanic. the mechanic said that he could just take it back to the service by and run the program on it to fix the service lights and beeping and would be right back. I emphasized that I had 2 special needs children I needed to get to as part of my job and they would be alone if I didn't get to them. I called my boss who was able to get the other caretaker to do overtime. I asked for a loaner and was told there wasn't one left. I went to the lease department (car is leased) and they told me who the Service Manager was. I went directly to him and told him I needed a car right away and I didn't want my car back till they got it fully fixed. They quickly found me a loaner and I went to work with the promise that they would not return my car to me till it is fixed. He then told me That I was correct about the service notice but that it is not a recall and that replacing the catalytic converter would not fix it. Please notice that research shows that this problem has been written about for about the last 13 years.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:30 AM
It's worldwide

Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Honda knows the injectors used on the 2015 Fit are bad, yet they charge us $1,700 to fix their mistake. That dropped my formerly good opinion of Honda. Now, it's just another car company. When I need another car, I'll shop around, rather than automatically buy a Honda. I've owned Hondas since 1980, but that's likely to change.
This is also happening in Singapore, apparently all Fit/Jazz, Vezel/HRV, Freed are having injectors problem. A mechanic told me to avoid Honda Vezel, I did and thought I should then get a Freed only to find out from Freed community someone had to have it replaced at 30 000km, not covered under warranty. And we don't even have any TSB here as the govt her does not prioritise safety the way it is in USA.

This is my 5th but will be my last Honda given how they ignore this problem.

Quick Reply: fuel injectors and catalytic converter problems