Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   Reprogram a Key Fob? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/99884-reprogram-key-fob.html)

SilverEX15 01-29-2019 09:33 AM

Reprogram a Key Fob?

I have a keyless entry keyfob from a wrecked 2015 Fit. I wonder if that could be programmed to work with another Fit. Take a guess, and I'll let you know when I get an answer from the dealer.

hasdrubal 01-29-2019 07:02 PM

I thought whatever code the fob has was permanent, and the issue was telling the car to recognize it as assigned to that car? My guess is yes, but they want over $100 to do a ten minute job, and will try to sell you a new fob while they're at it.

SilverEX15 01-29-2019 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by hasdrubal (Post 1422294)
I thought whatever code the fob has was permanent, and the issue was telling the car to recognize it as assigned to that car? My guess is yes, but they want over $100 to do a ten minute job, and will try to sell you a new fob while they're at it.

They start out blank, so maybe they can just reprogram it. I'll try to call tomorrow. As you suggest, it will probably cost a lot, but less than buying a new fob.

evilchargerfan 01-30-2019 01:36 PM

I purchased THIS:

EasyKeyMaker Honda Key Programmer Supports Honda/Acura 1999-2012 Including All Keys Lost

I am banking on the fact that, I can program my own key fobs now. Just need to source a blank key, get a lock smith to cut ... and then source the internals for the remote off of a used fit / ebay

SilverEX15 01-30-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan (Post 1422359)
I purchased THIS:

EasyKeyMaker Honda Key Programmer Supports Honda/Acura 1999-2012 Including All Keys Lost

I am banking on the fact that, I can program my own key fobs now. Just need to source a blank key, get a lock smith to cut ... and then source the internals for the remote off of a used fit / ebay

When I had Fords, I could easily program a new key by turning the ignition on and off in a certain sequence. Now that costs $100.

SilverEX15 01-30-2019 03:28 PM

I purchased THIS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the answer is - NO. "Once the key fob is matched with the cart's computer, it cannot be changed." That's from a Honda dealer.

SilverEX15 01-30-2019 03:53 PM

I purchased THIS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the answer is - NO. "Once the key fob is matched with the car's computer, it cannot be changed." That's from a Honda dealer.

Limmie 07-01-2019 08:58 AM

We have a 2016 Fit. We bought a new key and they reprogrammed everything for a new code. I told them we had one key I couldn't find but asked if I could get it reprogrammed later. They said they could, but to bring in all keys since they all get reprogrammed to the same code. Now this was a 2016, not a 2015, but if it is the same I don't see why it oculdn't be reprogrammed. They said if I came to their office they could reprogram all our keys for $40.

SilverEX15 07-01-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Limmie (Post 1431360)
We have a 2016 Fit. We bought a new key and they reprogrammed everything for a new code. I told them we had one key I couldn't find but asked if I could get it reprogrammed later. They said they could, but to bring in all keys since they all get reprogrammed to the same code. Now this was a 2016, not a 2015, but if it is the same I don't see why it oculdn't be reprogrammed. They said if I came to their office they could reprogram all our keys for $40.

I was talking about the key fob for the EX. The car doesn't use a key. It has a Start button on the dash. That $40 price is a bargain. I had to pay a lot more to get a Nissan Cube key programmed.