Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific Fit I.C.E. Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-fit-i-c-e-sub-forum/)
-   -   For those who plan to use a USB Flash Drive (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-fit-i-c-e-sub-forum/82999-those-who-plan-use-usb-flash-drive.html)

andre181 06-17-2014 09:14 PM

For those who plan to use a USB Flash Drive

This guy is small enough to fit in the USB port under the radio AND the car's USB port cover closes fully.

I just thought I'd share because I know there are people like me who can't stand clutter in the car.

tmfit 06-17-2014 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by andre181 (Post 1243762)
This guy is small enough to fit in the USB port under the radio AND the car's USB port cover closes fully.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35: Computers & Accessories

I just thought I'd share because I know there are people like me who can't stand clutter in the car.

That is extremely compact! Thanks for posting!

tmport 06-17-2014 09:43 PM

Nice! For those who have the new Fit, how well does the system handle music on USBs? Are there any problems with browsing through artists, albums, etc.?

andre181 06-17-2014 10:07 PM

What I do is load up folders by artist.

Honestly, I just received this flash drive from Amazon today and just loaded up some music. So I haven't really experimented with ability to search and whatnot.

I'll report back soon with my findings.

MyFit15 06-17-2014 11:37 PM

I wonder if USB flash drive needs to be safetly ejected when plugged in these types of devices. Would this even apply to this touch screen interface. If lets say I unplug it, won't this harm the flash drive or crash the Honda link system?

andre181 06-17-2014 11:38 PM

It shouldn't cause a problem.

MyFit15 06-17-2014 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by andre181 (Post 1243797)
It shouldn't cause a problem.

Oh Okay, let us know how it worked out for you.

Shockwave199 06-17-2014 11:57 PM

I use a couple different USB thumb drives in my fit. You can keep them plugged in and change them out at will. Every once in a blue moon they crash and you have to unplug and replug them in. Overall they are great and I prefer USB thumbs.

MyFit15 06-18-2014 02:06 AM

Thanks Shockwave199, Hey is there such a thing as wireless dongle for usb ports or hdmi ports for streaming videos from your phone that I can use on the fit instead of buying their rip off cables?

ReduxInflux 06-18-2014 02:11 AM

Great idea. Never considered this before...

theindiearmy 06-18-2014 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by MyFit15 (Post 1243821)
Thanks Shockwave199, Hey is there such a thing as wireless dongle for usb ports or hdmi ports for streaming videos from your phone that I can use on the fit instead of buying their rip off cables?

You could just not buy cables from them and get them from somewhere else.

MyFit15 06-18-2014 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by theindiearmy (Post 1243824)
You could just not buy cables from them and get them from somewhere else.

True, but like the OP stated, clutter is not my thing either. I'm looking for a wireless solution. I just wished Honda integrated Bluetooth video streaming as well

I'm trying to find a wireless dongle to just plug into the hdmi port and use my phone that way to stream videos. I don't think there is such a thing, is there?

BrianKearsey 06-18-2014 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by MyFit15 (Post 1243826)
I'm trying to find a wireless dongle to just plug into the hdmi port and use my phone that way to stream videos. I don't think there is such a thing, is there?

Have a look at AIRTAME or Full HD 1080P WiFi Display Dongle HDMI Wireless PTV Support DLNA / Miracast - GeekBuying.com
not sure if it would work

AustinDriver 06-18-2014 04:01 AM

Ha.

did no one else notice that USB drive is called the "Cruzer FIT" ?

:)

Too perfect.

tmfit 06-18-2014 05:28 AM

Update: watching videos on HDMI will display full screen.

As for the cables its not that much more money. The HDMI apple cable is $49 at bestbuy, walmart and most online, a few are $43 on line. It also comes with a 1 foot HDMI cable and a short power cable.

jonfordaz 06-19-2014 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by andre181 (Post 1243785)
What I do is load up folders by artist.

Honestly, I just received this flash drive from Amazon today and just loaded up some music. So I haven't really experimented with ability to search and whatnot.

I'll report back soon with my findings.

So, andre181. Have you had a chance yet to give this option a go? Very interested in your take before I go this route.

andre181 06-19-2014 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by jonfordaz (Post 1244081)
So, andre181. Have you had a chance yet to give this option a go? Very interested in your take before I go this route.

I did. Today was my first day of vacation so I got to ride around in my new baby and check it out.

I really like the USB. When I bought the car, I planned on using my phone almost exclusively for music (like I've done with the past 2 cars), but I bought the USB drive just as a backup. I figured I'd load it up with some music and use it from time to time, but now, I think I'll use it most of the time.

What I did, was put each artist/album into its own folder. The car lets you browse by folder, so if I want to listen to some Linkin Park, for example, I can go to the LP folder, and all the LP jams are there. You can shuffle or repeat in a single folder or among all folders which is nice too if you want a mix of everything.

The car has two tabs. First tab shows all the folders, select the one you want, and it brings you to the second tab which shows all tracks in that folder and from there you can hit track 3 and track 3 plays.

Its a pretty slick setup.

Unfortunately there is no voice commands for searching. You are limited to next/prev folder and next/prev track.

I'll go out and take some pics of the interface in a little bit and share them here.

GeorgeL 06-20-2014 04:27 PM

I've found a number of very small USB drives that will do this. HP makes one that is barely larger than the plug end of a conventional USB drive!

I stopped using SanDisk drives several years ago when they decided that they would include the U3 virus on their sticks. SanDisk wanted its users to install their U3 software on every computer the drive was plugged into and therefore they didn't bother to ask before installing! Not cool! Even though U3 is pretty much dead I still avoid SanDisk as who knows what their next bright idea will be.

8strung 06-20-2014 05:46 PM

Is using a thumb drive possible on the lx as well? I don't think the lx has touch screen, correct?

ReduxInflux 06-20-2014 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by andre181 (Post 1243762)

Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35: Computers & Accessories

Just received mine in the mail. I created a music folder and dumped my favorites from my itunes library into the folder. Only problem is - when I plugged the flash drive into the port of my car - it didn't recognize it. The system shows the USB drive has something in it - but it gives me 'no data'. What format do the files have to be in?