Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by weezo
Guys, somebody made it. Not jailbreak the actual hondalink thing but he got it working.

Iphone + google map on the radio is possible.
See video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_XOGx7hukI&feature=youtu.be
If someone could figure out a workaround like this using mirrorlink on android that would be awesome.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kevman83
If someone could figure out a workaround like this using mirrorlink on android that would be awesome.
Actually it is possible, and the touch screen work but you have to own a HTC M8 or M9 or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2jzlfWjD1E

this is in a honda city witch is almost the same as a fit i beleive

i dont know if it work while driving tho

Old 08-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Kevman83

I don't have a jailbreaked phone. I have the Note 4. Also the navi app I didn't think was supported for android and wasn't going to be?

Its really slick how the HU uses the CANBUS lines to sense if the car is moving, parking brake off etc. Reason for such an integration is believe it was to do away with the radio theft codes. The HU is married to the CANBUS and ECU which presents the unique VIN# instead of entering a code. Thats why you can press power for 2 seconds to escape the theft lock screen.

Beleive me at some point, someone, somewhere is going to figure this out, and when that day comes I intend to buy that person a beer, send him/her a 6 pack whatever, when we can all thumb our noses at Honda for bricking the HU\ when it shouldn't have.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I don't have a jailbreaked phone. I have the Note 4. Also the navi app I didn't think was supported for android and wasn't going to be?

Its really slick how the HU uses the CANBUS lines to sense if the car is moving, parking brake off etc. Reason for such an integration is believe it was to do away with the radio theft codes. The HU is married to the CANBUS and ECU which presents the unique VIN# instead of entering a code. Thats why you can press power for 2 seconds to escape the theft lock screen.

Beleive me at some point, someone, somewhere is going to figure this out, and when that day comes I intend to buy that person a beer, send him/her a 6 pack whatever, when we can all thumb our noses at Honda for bricking the HU\ when it shouldn't have.
I also have a Note 4 which isn't rooted.Sygic works ok but I really want full phone mirroring. I do hope someone can come up with something.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I tried that jailbreak hack with my iPad last night and it works. I can't seem to get the right resolution on the display however. It looks fine in the HondaLink app, but then goes to an ugly scaled version as soon as I exit. Need to do a little more research on how the guy in the video did it.

Also, things are progressing on the CAN bus HDMI hack I've been working on. I've decoded most of the data on the CAN bus and I have figured out what data is sent to signal a gear change. I've also discovered that the head unit requires (as far as I can tell) a minimum set of valid data from the CAN bus in order to activate the HDMI input. I tried only sending the proper "I'm in park" signal to the head unit and nothing else, and while the diagnostic screen had the right flags set (PARK and PARK-VIDEO), HDMI did not work.

I am still forging on with my CAN interrupter idea and I have some prototype hardware in the works. Updates to come, albeit slowly. My day job just dumped a lot of work on me and I might be travelling in Europe for about a month in mid-September.

Also I'm currently documenting my progress as much as possible so that others can contribute and see what I have been doing with more granularity, but documentation is a looooong task. I'll post a link to everything once I get to a more readable state.

-Dan

Old 08-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ductapemaster
Well, I tried that jailbreak hack with my iPad last night and it works. I can't seem to get the right resolution on the display however. It looks fine in the HondaLink app, but then goes to an ugly scaled version as soon as I exit. Need to do a little more research on how the guy in the video did it.

Also, things are progressing on the CAN bus HDMI hack I've been working on. I've decoded most of the data on the CAN bus and I have figured out what data is sent to signal a gear change. I've also discovered that the head unit requires (as far as I can tell) a minimum set of valid data from the CAN bus in order to activate the HDMI input. I tried only sending the proper "I'm in park" signal to the head unit and nothing else, and while the diagnostic screen had the right flags set (PARK and PARK-VIDEO), HDMI did not work.

I am still forging on with my CAN interrupter idea and I have some prototype hardware in the works. Updates to come, albeit slowly. My day job just dumped a lot of work on me and I might be travelling in Europe for about a month in mid-September.

Also I'm currently documenting my progress as much as possible so that others can contribute and see what I have been doing with more granularity, but documentation is a looooong task. I'll post a link to everything once I get to a more readable state.

-Dan
Thanks Dan! Keep us posted. I'm definitely available for beta testing your board when you are ready! The data decode set you were telling me about sounds like a viable jailbreak method.

The min data set from the B-CAN makes sense to me as Honda did away with the radio security code for the GK. It is married via the CANBUS to the ECU which has the unique VIN#. This mechanism in theory has other side processes associated with it that allows or disallows functions based on driving conditions/state. Bottom line CANBUS needs to be feeding back all sensor data.

Cheers man! Thank you for contributing to the forum from all of us!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Thanks Dan! Keep us posted. I'm definitely available for beta testing your board when you are ready! The data decode set you were telling me about sounds like a viable jailbreak method.

The min data set from the B-CAN makes sense to me as Honda did away with the radio security code for the GK. It is married via the CANBUS to the ECU which has the unique VIN#. This mechanism in theory has other side processes associated with it that allows or disallows functions based on driving conditions/state. Bottom line CANBUS needs to be feeding back all sensor data.

Cheers man! Thank you for contributing to the forum from all of us!
No problem! Yes, the VIN# is sent over the BCAN bus to the head unit as you describe. I actually did a second test where I sent the VIN frames in addition to the "park" frame, but that was not enough either. I imagine I have to trigger all of the flags in the diagnostic menu under BCAN for things to work....

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ductapemaster
No problem! Yes, the VIN# is sent over the BCAN bus to the head unit as you describe. I actually did a second test where I sent the VIN frames in addition to the "park" frame, but that was not enough either. I imagine I have to trigger all of the flags in the diagnostic menu under BCAN for things to work....
Exactly, to anecdotally put it, you need to cut all the teeth on the skeleton key instead of one tooth.

Did you discover any signals on the F-CAN being used by the HU? Can't imagine they would use a faster bus network for small low priority features like HDMI. The Lanewatch and trip computer I'd be willing to bet yes since they tie into the gauge control module, which then communicates back to the BCAN, the MICU at the Aux fuse panel, (multiplex integrated control system) and is all interpreted by the powertrain control unit and electronic control unit

This is what we get with integration, a spaghetti mess of signals. What happened to the days of simple switches, relays and transistors?!

Old 08-22-2015, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-11-2016, 01:34 AM
Hey guys. I didn't read outside of page 8 (which is where the great Googles brought me), so if my problem was solved elsewhere please direct me (after you yell at me).

I have Sygic on my S6 edge, and it doesn't show up as a Mirrorlink certified app in my phone settings. Can't find anything about it in Sygic settings, and when I connect my phone to my Fit the only option is still to Edit Apps, which is grayed out as well. I also have Car Mode downloaded, and it does the same thing. Which is nothing.

Any advice? I'll try and check YouTube, but it may not help much.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:06 AM
Hello

You need to use Sygic Car Nav, it's a different version (they have like 7 LOL)

you can try it for one week for free

Old 02-19-2017, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
I guess if you don't mind not being able to use the touch screen function on your head unit you can always plug in your usb and hdmi cable and bluetooth as your audio. Select hdmi function and basically mirror your phone screen onto your head unit.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 AM
there is a way to get navigation and several other apps with the actual Head unit touchscreen and no modification with just a usb cable

i actually use them with a galaxy note 4, i'll upload some pics from it tomorrow

Old 03-07-2017, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tompzone
there is a way to get navigation and several other apps with the actual Head unit touchscreen and no modification with just a usb cable

i actually use them with a galaxy note 4, i'll upload some pics from it tomorrow
Any news on this wonderful hondalink workaround?

Old 03-07-2017, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by sumtingwong
Any news on this wonderful hondalink workaround?

i made this video awhile ago. Good work around for the manual trans, auto trans i heard there are limitations.

https://youtu.be/Mx0IFP6t_vU

Old 03-29-2018, 03:25 PM