HDMI port - how are you using it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
One of these days it may have one of my Raspberry Pi plugged into it.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by CIOWN
This thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1269816

has, thanks to user mecevans, wiring diagrams to the FIT audio systems (sheet4 and sheet53).

Can anyone here see a way to override and enable HDMI while driving?

This function needs to be done in the coding. While it is possible to remove input from the sensors and switches to the infotainment center, that lack of input will also disable other things such as the backup and lanewatch camera.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Question lock out sound?

I have a portable dvd player for the kids in the back seat. I want to have the sound going through the car speakers because you can hardly hear the dvd player. Since there is no aux input can I use the hdmi input for just the sound while moving? I understand the picture goes out when placed in park but what about the sound. Has anybody tried this?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by mfeliu71
I have a portable dvd player for the kids in the back seat. I want to have the sound going through the car speakers because you can hardly hear the dvd player. Since there is no aux input can I use the hdmi input for just the sound while moving? I understand the picture goes out when placed in park but what about the sound. Has anybody tried this?
Yes can confirm you can use it for audio when driving just no picture.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Awesome thank you!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 AM
i am incredibly dissapointed in the lack of a 3.5mm aux jack. however, i am looking to use the hdmi port to solve this. i am particular to this inputt type because i primarily use an ipod video for music because the clickwheel is easy to navigate through my large music library. anywho, i purchased a vga to hdmi converter that is powered by usb on amazon. the converter take a vga and 3.5mm input (analog), and converts it to an hdmi output (digital). im gonna hide the unit in the glove box with its power source. ill run the aux cable into the glove box wherever is ergonomic for using the ipod. im then gonna use an adapter to turn the hdmi into a mini hdmi to make it easier to hide the cable. hopefully i can run it underneath all the plastic. ill have it plug into another adapter once it goes into the receptacle. but first thing is first. it has to work... and if it doesnt, im just gonna have to buy a bluetooth dongle for my ipod. and im guessing that will render my phone connection useless.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by simonx314
I don't use it, but it could be used to listen to navigation guidance or music, or any other audio signal from a phone with HDMI out.

Possible use cases:
  • Start navigating with Google Maps on your phone, when the car starts moving, you will lose video signal but still be able to hear the lady voice tell you when to turn.
  • Listen to music on your phone, select HDMI as the audio source.

I can't believe the EX/EX-L does not have an aux input. Only the LX does.
I've done that simply with the bluetooth. Much easier than using the HDMI. I'm trying to find a solution to use a wireless HDMI dongle for the hondalink apps. Would make them 0.1% less shitty. From my quick research, I'd need to find an affordable HDMI-CEC enabled wireless HDMI dongle. Anyone tried this? Chromecast looks promising, but the onboard OS of the dongle might be the downfall to this idea, so I don't want to waste the money if it doesn't work.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Question Seriously?

How is it safe to use their navi app and yet I can't use my WAZE? Come on Honda, we're all grown ups here.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:05 AM
bumping old thread but I run my Amazon firestick just fine via the HDMI port. I just tether it to my phone's hotspot

Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by jrv784
bumping old thread but I run my Amazon firestick just fine via the HDMI port. I just tether it to my phone's hotspot
And what can you see/hear with your Firestick plugged in?

Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by BadAnimal
And what can you see/hear with your Firestick plugged in?
I watch movies on Netflix or via Kodi on the firestick. I see/hear everything perfectly fine. I bypass the safety measure so I have my daughter in the back watching movies while I drive.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JupiterJoe
The HDMI port can be used to play movies etc... However, it also is used to support their NAV app via the iPhone...
About the nav app. I really want to get and like it. The reviews are simply horrendous. Even those who don't bash it, seem to acknowledge that it doesn't play well with phone calls, text messages, and music playback. Any of these may cause the displayed map to go blank. You will then have to go to your phone and tap some things, then return to the car's display to restore the map. Boo.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by jrv784
I watch movies on Netflix or via Kodi on the firestick. I see/hear everything perfectly fine. I bypass the safety measure so I have my daughter in the back watching movies while I drive.
By “bypass the safety measure” do you mean you put turn it off (I have read this procedure) but you have to redo that each time you stop?

Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
By “bypass the safety measure” do you mean you put turn it off (I have read this procedure) but you have to redo that each time you stop?
You have to do this anytime the power to the stock head unit is interrupted.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
You have to do this anytime the power to the stock head unit is interrupted.
Thanks Action… I thought so but I was unsure from his post if somehow the firestick he was using was allowing him to use the HDMI port without going through that...

Old 09-30-2018, 09:14 AM
It’s simply amazing Apple CarPlay can now use Google Maps and Waze but Hondalink won’t allow it.
Just make them a authorized app for Honda link already.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:34 AM
Interesting. TIL: LX model is really the luxury model. Honestly though- the bluetooth supports the new hd format, and the quality is comparable to the aux performance.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:23 AM
Car stereo usually have RCA instead of HDMI. If you'd like to input or output videos to your car stereo, you may try to use and RCA to HDMI converter.

For me, I got the XTRONS PQ Series car stereo which supports HDMI output and I have no problem export media from my car stereo to the rear headrest monitors.