Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific Fit I.C.E. Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-fit-i-c-e-sub-forum/)
-   -   Making LX into a 6-speaker car? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-fit-i-c-e-sub-forum/88963-making-lx-into-6-speaker-car.html)

peterspickledpepper 04-13-2015 03:32 PM

Making LX into a 6-speaker car?
 
Hey guys! First time creating a thread. I've scoured the internet and these forums for answers but i havent come up on anything that helps me out...

Is it possible to (have a professional) install two extra speakers into the LX model? Or have any of you replaced the stock 4 speakers and can say you're much happier with the performance of the stereo?

I love the LX model, but the lack of stereo power is deterring me from buying it and not just going for the EX model (which i really dont want to do because i hate capacitive buttons on car stereos).

If any of you have any experience replacing the stereo/speakers in your LX, i'd love some insight into what i can/cannot realistically expect. Thanks!

tbFit 04-13-2015 07:29 PM

The clean look of the EX touchscreen interface is nice, but, yes, the volume control is not as user friendly as a knob. However, the steering wheel controls for volume work really well, unless you are the passenger.

zeusmoltar 04-22-2015 05:40 PM

I have replaced all 4 speakers, added an amp and added the extra tweeters to the LX.

I have kept the original head unit so the look is stock but the sound is great!

If you want to get the most bang for your buck (and avoid a complicated and expensive amp) get some simple component speakers for the front, singles for the rear, and make sure they are all 2 OHM. This will allow the head unit to drive them much more easily. Infinity brand speakers always touted there 2 OHm speakers. and just as an example.

The work isn't hard and a local professional will be able to quote u the work.

The extra speakers are nice but not worth the money for the EX in my opinion.

hope this helps :thumbups:

- moltar

Desmond Lamar MacRae 04-22-2015 10:22 PM


Originally Posted by zeusmoltar (Post 1303352)
I have replaced all 4 speakers, added an amp and added the extra tweeters to the LX.

I have kept the original head unit so the look is stock but the sound is great!

If you want to get the most bang for your buck (and avoid a complicated and expensive amp) get some simple component speakers for the front, singles for the rear, and make sure they are all 2 OHM. This will allow the head unit to drive them much more easily. Infinity brand speakers always touted there 2 OHm speakers. Infinity reference for the front and singles for the back just as an example.

The work isn't hard and a local professional will be able to quote u the work.

The extra speakers are nice but not worth the money for the EX in my opinion.

hope this helps :thumbups:

- moltar

He is spot on. I'm doing Infinity Kappa components front/rear (rear i took because the gave me these at even under reference prices) for the 2-ohm. I'm gonna tell you why as simple as I can. Going for stock 4-ohm on stock 160 watt system with 2-ohm infinity speakers will be like doubling the decks power to 320 watts because it takes less power to push them. So either Infinity or JBL (both owned by Harman/kardon) but not expensive at all until you jump to Kappa Perfects.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1436_.jpg

Here are JBL rear which are 3-way http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TLgJsxkxL.jpg

zeusmoltar 04-23-2015 05:46 PM


Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae (Post 1303385)
He is spot on. I'm doing Infinity Kappa components front/rear (rear i took because the gave me these at even under reference prices) for the 2-ohm. I'm gonna tell you why as simple as I can. Going for stock 4-ohm on stock 160 watt system with 2-ohm infinity speakers will be like doubling the decks power to 320 watts because it takes less power to push them. So either Infinity or JBL (both owned by Harman/kardon) but not expensive at all until you jump to Kappa Perfects.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1436_.jpg

Here are JBL rear which are 3-way http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TLgJsxkxL.jpg

I miss the days of removable speaker grilles on the doors. cuz those are some beautiful speakers. JBL make some nice stuff.

jefft 04-24-2015 12:41 PM

The stock HU claims 160 watts - this is surely peak. Anyone know the RMS wattage?

How much difference do new speakers really make without adding an amp as well? I've always thought the main benefit of aftermarket speakers was to handle the additional wattage of an external amp. Though, if you swap 4 ohm factory speakers for 2 ohm aftermarket, that would clearly make a significant difference. But is that really advisable? If the stock head unit isn't designed to run 2 ohm speakers, you run the risk of overloading it, which I'm pretty confident Honda would say is your own damn fault and not under warranty.

Bassguitarist1985 04-24-2015 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by jefft (Post 1303570)
The stock HU claims 160 watts - this is surely peak. Anyone know the RMS wattage?

How much difference do new speakers really make without adding an amp as well? I've always thought the main benefit of aftermarket speakers was to handle the additional wattage of an external amp. Though, if you swap 4 ohm factory speakers for 2 ohm aftermarket, that would clearly make a significant difference. But is that really advisable? If the stock head unit isn't designed to run 2 ohm speakers, you run the risk of overloading it, which I'm pretty confident Honda would say is your own damn fault and not under warranty.



Thank you for saying this because I was just going to add that the MOSFETs in the head unit are not designed for 2 ohm. In fact, a 2 ohm speaker is completely STUPID in my eyes. That's almost a perfect ground. Most amps are not stable at that range. Keep in mind that speaker impedance ratings are nominal, impedance is different at various audio frequencies, lower than 4 ohms at lower frequencies usually. 4 ohms nominal rating for a speaker is the lowest I would ever go in a pro audio application. That's advice given to me from a Peavey Electronics amplifier engineer with more than 3 decades of pro audio experience. Marty McCann is his name.




Honda does not say if 160 watts is RMS, program, or peak. I would ASSUME it is PROGRAM wattage.


RMS wattage is half of PROGRAM, and peak is double the program wattage.


RMS: 80 watts
Program: 160 watts
Peak: 320 watts




Again I highly doubt the stock speakers can push this wattage though.

Stick with 4 ohm aftermarket speakers. If you need more power than the HU can deliver, then invest into an external amp. The speaker sizes in the doors can't push that much air anyhow, and let us not discuss the matter of Thiel and Small parameters of the speaker matched to the cubic air volume of the door.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands