Upgrade factory speakers with factory HU, more bass in mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Upgrade factory speakers with factory HU, more bass in mind

I have a 2018 Fit and I'd like to upgrade the factory speakers while keeping the factory head unit. The factory speakers are amazingly clear but like many have said lacks bass, or at least that thump often enjoyed when listening to different kinds of music. I've read Bassguitarist1895's sticked thread and just can't afford the time and money for a while to install an audio controller and amp. Buying and installing speakers isn't a problem .

Not knowing much about aftermarket speakers and what to look for when shopping, what should I look for when shopping for speakers if achieving more bass and keeping some clarity is possible?

There's so much information about ohms and impedance that I am having trouble wrapping my head around it.

I jumped the gun the other day and bought some Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3 speakers and they seem worse than the factory speakers after installing.

​https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R165X3/Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R165X3.html?avf=Y

Old 07-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Adding a dedicated sub and amplifying is the only way to get what you're looking for. Even amplifying the stock speakers will be better than just replacing them. Crutchfield.com has plenty of articles explaining ohms, amps, impedance, etc.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Even if I just got a simple LOC with a feature to boost bass output like AudioControl's Accubass to power subs, that alone would make the stock speakers a great deal better sounding overall. Without subs you truly are missing 1/3 of your sound!

Instead I went all out. I built my system when I was single and had way more disposable income. Now I'm married and have a house but no kids, so way less disposable income lol! I would def would have done at least the two subs and LOC if I built it now.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Even if I just got a simple LOC with a feature to boost bass output like AudioControl's Accubass to power subs, that alone would make the stock speakers a great deal better sounding overall. Without subs you truly are missing 1/3 of your sound!

Instead I went all out. I built my system when I was single and had way more disposable income. Now I'm married and have a house but no kids, so way less disposable income lol! I would def would have done at least the two subs and LOC if I built it now.
Your thread was amazing and inspiring. I would like to install a sub I just would hate to lose and storage space. I'm debating on going with the LC7i or the LCQ1 .the LCQ1 seems little intimidating with in terms of the tuning in aspect. Just looking at all the levels that can be adjusted seem daunting. I thought about going with something simple but figured if I'm going to take off a bunch of the paneling to wire and mount everything I might as well go with a set up like yours minus the sub but with the ability to add one in later if wanted. But like you and ieandro said, just changing out the speakers won't be enough .

Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 AM
In my older audio build, I got rid of the oem rear storage Styrofoam system, and integrated it with a powered sub. It should be in my posted link.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by craycraypixel
I have a 2018 Fit and I'd like to upgrade the factory speakers while keeping the factory head unit. The factory speakers are amazingly clear but like many have said lacks bass, or at least that thump often enjoyed when listening to different kinds of music. I've read Bassguitarist1895's sticked thread and just can't afford the time and money for a while to install an audio controller and amp. Buying and installing speakers isn't a problem .

Not knowing much about aftermarket speakers and what to look for when shopping, what should I look for when shopping for speakers if achieving more bass and keeping some clarity is possible?

There's so much information about ohms and impedance that I am having trouble wrapping my head around it.

I jumped the gun the other day and bought some Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3 speakers and they seem worse than the factory speakers after installing.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R16...5X3.html?avf=Y
I am looking at replacing my door speakers, front and rear, in my 2015 Fit EXL with these speakers. I find the sound to be very thin and quite awful. My ears aren't the best at 54 years old, and yet I can't stand the sound coming from the radio in my Fit. Even spoken word is terrible, Bass issues aside, do these speakers seem worse than the stock ones?