3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is my commuter car so I spend at least 2 hours a day in it. I'm not a huge audiophile, but I do like to listen to music sprinkled in with my podcasts. I want it to sound decent, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Starting my budget audio upgrade, I'm hoping to spend exactly the princely sum of $0.00 on this. How I'm accomplishing this is by using my credit card miles.

1st phase:
I ordered for the rear door speakers Rockford Fosgate R165X3 along with the XTC Speaker baffles from Crutchfield. They include the speaker harness, mounting bracket and master sheets for accessing speakers.

2nd phase:
If I like the 3-way speakers above, I'll order the same for the front speakers. Otherwise I'll order the Rockford Fosgate R1675-S components and install the tweeters separately.

3rd phase:
Small form factor powered subwoofer. I haven't decided on this one yet but I do want a subwoofer. The bass is really lacking in stock form. I would like to keep the versatility of the trunk though, so I'm going to make a wood floor and mount it upside into the spare tire area like Action Jackson

I'm using UnFitRicks thread as a playbook.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
(the following words are subjective, as what "sounds good" is different for everyone)

the R165X3's sound darn good, esp for the price point ... they do lack the crispyness you get from separate tweeters. After a month, I ended up returning them to Crutchfield in favor of P165-SE.

I also returned the R1675X2's in the rears, and stepped up to the P1675s. I spent way more than I would have liked (double), but .... I can say I'm much happier with the new setup. Now I'll have to force myself to drink a few less beers for a while, and a few lunches with my best friend cup-o-noodles and boom, the cost is offset =)

as you can see from post 2 in my thread, I've completely returned a full setup, and re bought a totally new set:

Old 08-16-2018, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
(the following words are subjective, as what "sounds good" is different for everyone)

the R165X3's sound darn good, esp for the price point ... they do lack the crispyness you get from separate tweeters. After a month, I ended up returning them to Crutchfield in favor of P165-SE.

I also returned the R1675X2's in the rears, and stepped up to the P1675s. I spent way more than I would have liked (double), but .... I can say I'm much happier with the new setup. Now I'll have to force myself to drink a few less beers for a while, and a few lunches with my best friend cup-o-noodles and boom, the cost is offset =)

as you can see from post 2 in my thread, I've completely returned a full setup, and re bought a totally new set:
You seem to do that a lot! LOL That behavior is too rich for my blood. Like I said, I'm no huge audiophile. In all honesty, I'd probably be content just adding a self powered sub and leave the stock speakers. Considering I'll probably be paying nothing for the setup, I'll be happy enough.

The Fit has always been an exercise in frugality for me. Paying less for the purchase, maintenance and insurance allows me to invest more. I've been able to sock away a good amount into investments, make a great return and pay off the Fit in less than 2 years.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
1st phase:
I ordered for the rear door speakers Rockford Fosgate R165X3 along with the XTC Speaker baffles from Crutchfield. They include the speaker harness, mounting bracket and master sheets for accessing speakers.
So this weekend I did 1st phase. The install went pretty straightforward with Crutchfield's excellent master sheet. They made accessing the rear speakers a breeze. I cut a little slit on the baffle and fed the wires into the speaker. While I was in there I also made sure to press down on the plastic sheet on the adhesive to make sure there aren't any gaps where water can leak into the car.

So the verdict is, I'm a little underwhelmed by them. The highs are better but I guess I expected more. I'm not a huge audiophile so I may be missing the nuances. Oh well, I spent $51.58 of credit card rewards so it's not like I'm out any money.

For Phase two, I think I'll go with the separate components in the R1675-S.

In case you're curious, this are the
trim tools trim tools
I used.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Installed the PIAA Xtreme White Plus replacement lights. The first set went out before a year so they sent me this is as a replacement a few months ago.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Since I had the day off today, I figured I'd slap this thing in the Fit. Some time next month it's going to start getting used, so might as well get it over with

Old 08-27-2018, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
I predict, your speakers setup, will go the same path as mine =)

Old 08-27-2018, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I predict, your speakers setup, will go the same path as mine =)
My brother, you underestimate my cheapness! lol

For the sub, I'm looking at the
Kenwood KSC-SW11 Kenwood KSC-SW11

Old 08-27-2018, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
LOL

I dig the sub. that one should fit under our seats right? I tried to shove a Rockford Fosgate PS-8 8" under there, and I failed

Old 08-27-2018, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Specs say 2.75" but I I'm going to put it in the trunk area.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Since I had the day off today, I figured I'd slap this thing in the Fit. Some time next month it's going to start getting used, so might as well get it over with

Congrats! Or is that, sorry about the interior of your car??

Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Haha thanks. Hopefully it won't get used too long. Wife wants to use the Fit for a few weeks after birth since it's easier to get into than the 4runner.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Had a chance yesterday on the day off to also wash the car. It's been a few months at this point and the bug guts and road grime from an 85 mile daily commute had really caked on.

Peppa pig was a casualty, but George lived on:

Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
It was one of those mornings. I was late getting up and out the door. As I hit the starter button, nothing happened. Seems like the key fob needs a new battery. So I held it up to the starter button and pushed and it started. Placed the keys in the center console and drove into work. Since I had a late start, I didn't have breakfast at home like I typically do, so I stopped by Burger King and locked the door on the way out using the door controls. As I reach for the door handle to get back into the car, it's locked and the realization that my keys are in the center console hits. ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHH Windows are at least cracked so maybe there's a way.

BK didn't have a coat hanger so I called my coworker. He couldn't find one at work but he drove up and was going to take me to the Target to get one. He saw the cracked window, slipped his arm in and was able to actuate the lock!!! My arm wouldn't fit but I was glad his could!!! So I'll be stopping by Walmart to get a new key battery. I don't think the door would have locked if it could sense the key inside it.

The view from outside. So close, but so far away...

Old 08-28-2018, 09:29 AM
It was one of those mornings. I was late getting up and out the door. As I hit the starter button, nothing happened. Seems like the key fob needs a new battery. So I held it up to the starter button and pushed and it started. Placed the keys in the center console and drove into work. Since I had a late start, I didn't have breakfast at home like I typically do, so I stopped by Burger King and locked the door on the way out using the door controls. As I reach for the door handle to get back into the car, it's locked and the realization that my keys are in the center console hits. ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHH Windows are at least cracked so maybe there's a way.

BK didn't have a coat hanger so I called my coworker. He couldn't find one at work but he drove up and was going to take me to the Target to get one. He saw the cracked window, slipped his arm in and was able to actuate the lock!!! My arm wouldn't fit but I was glad his could!!! So I'll be stopping by Walmart to get a new key battery. I don't think the door would have locked if it could sense the key inside it.

The view from outside. So close, but so far away...
"Oh crap, my keys are locked inside, I will be late for work....but first, let me take a picture."

Perhaps the car could not sense the key since, as you previously stated, the car would not start remotely.

And it may offend your sense of aesthetics, but second row seat covers would help minimize stains and such from the baby. I always thought the spills would cease when my kids were older (now 11 and nine), but the messes only get bigger.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Haha well I wasn't going anywhere, so I figured I'd take a picture. That was my same assumption with the low battery.

My daughter is two and the 4runner back seat is quite a mess. I have a seat cover for her seat, but she likes to throw stuff off to the sides. I may have to invest in seat covers that cover the whole rear.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
So finally got my catch can from China and I'm kind of disappointed by the quality. The anodizing has bare spots inside the catch can. I know no one sees it but still. There are some dents on the outside and at least one chip to bare metal. Also they put all the accessories in one plastic bag so the drain valve is chipped. The mount has some scratches to the anodizing on the bottom, again no one is going to see it but still they should have separated the anodized parts. One thing I thought was weird was the piece that holds the filtering material seems to be plastic? I thought it would have been metal.

The good: The unit does feel solid. It screws together very well and the threads are nicely done. There is a rubber o-ring between the body. Included steel wool. Hoses seem high quality.

I think I'm going to send an email to the seller. I had originally wanted a silver colored one, but they said the one they had was defective and I agreed instead to send a black one. I'm not 100% happy with the quality. Am I being overly critical?

Chip to the lower right of the threaded hole where the pieces come together

Chips on the red handle for the drain valve

Bad anodizing on the internals

Mount and valve mixed in one bag so of course they got scratched up during shipment.

Scratches on bottom of mount. Hoses seem of good quality.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
complain. ... .. .. they may give u a refund AND let u keep it =)

Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
I sent them an email so we'll see what they say.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
2nd phase:
If I like the 3-way speakers above, I'll order the same for the front speakers. Otherwise I'll order the Rockford Fosgate R1675-S components and install the tweeters separately.
So I installed the Rockford Fosgate R1675-S door speakers, but didn't get to the tweeters as I'm waiting on the posi-taps. Install didn't go as easy as the rear speakers but still not too difficult.

I tried accessing the tweeters and it was pretty easy so that should be quick when I get the posi-taps.

Quick Reply: 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles