3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

The Stembridge Fit (Jazz) Mod Thread - 2015 MSM EX CVT

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks! Yes, the springs are "just" Down, not Super Down. I didn't want much, if any, drop. The only difference in the grilles is the chrome vs. matte bar (which I found out is actually a separate snapped-in piece on both grilles). I had bought the grille right after I got the car, and before seeing others use plasti-dip, so I went ahead and used what I had. (c:

es

Old 05-09-2016, 07:12 PM
jhn
All the lines have to go through the center of the shim, yes? Did you cut the shim and slip the lines into the middle?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
All the lines have to go through the center of the shim, yes? Did you cut the shim and slip the lines into the middle?
Caught me!

When I made the first snip with my side cutters to remove the shim section (exactly per the instructions), the shim broke all the way through. I used my bandsaw to make the rest of the cuts, and when I went to install the shim, realized the break meant I would not have to remove the ABS sensor line. So I "broke" the other side, too.

It's probably going to be a few days before I can get to the alignment shop. Patience, Grasshopper!

es

Old 05-09-2016, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member

Old 05-13-2016, 09:21 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by stembridge
Caught me!

When I made the first snip with my side cutters to remove the shim section (exactly per the instructions), the shim broke all the way through. I used my bandsaw to make the rest of the cuts, and when I went to install the shim, realized the break meant I would not have to remove the ABS sensor line. So I "broke" the other side, too.

It's probably going to be a few days before I can get to the alignment shop. Patience, Grasshopper!

es
Is that Moog shim or SPC? Looks like Moog I think

Old 05-13-2016, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Moog. Talked to the shop earlier today and they said my rear toe was right on 0*, so they seemed to have done the trick. They could only get -1.5* with the camber bolts without grinding the holes, so i told them to lock them there for now.

es

Old 05-17-2016, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Picked the car up from the alignment shop last night and drove it to work today: it's fantastic! Front camber is -1.5° and 0° toe, and the rear shims did their trick, setting rear toe at 0° also.

My Miata driving coworker and I went out for a lunchtime drive (taking turns) on a very twisty-curvy road, and he was favorably impressed (he even said the CVT was "not as bad as he thought it would be" [grin]).

The car corners flat, and seems well balanced. The ride is harsher than stock, but not kidney-jarring. It should be fine for cruising the highways, even here in the frost-heaved Middle West.

Pics after my next mod install, which arrived over the weekend.

es

Old 05-17-2016, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Mugen-style Front Chin

Next up on the mod list is a Mugen-style chin. Installation was simple - it fits right over the USDM bumper cover and took less than 15 minutes to install.

I won't have time to have it painted before this weekend's autox event, but I do plan to paint it MSM afterwards.

es

Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Looks good. How is the fitment? I'm ordering one as well. My plan is to have it painted a gloss black to contrast the white orchid pearl on mine. I think it'll be a nice throwback look. Wouldn't it be better to paint before mounting?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
Fitment is good, although I will plan to add an extra screw where the lip wraps around the wheel well/fender area, as it didn't snug down really tight there (slight gap). I would paint prior to installation, but it's easy to install or remove, so you can always pull it back off as I will do when I paint mine.

es

Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
Fitment is good, although I will plan to add an extra screw where the lip wraps around the wheel well/fender area, as it didn't snug down really tight there (slight gap). I would paint prior to installation, but it's easy to install or remove, so you can always pull it back off as I will do when I paint mine.

es
Good to hear that fitment isn't a problem. I was going to dry fit it prior to painting and then add some 3M tape to make it a more permanent fixture.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:54 PM
jhn
Your car looks great.

I think you'll like -1.5 long-term. It's close to what the rear is set right from the factory and it has no ill handling that I found. In fact, I experienced better tire wear.

Good to see the shims work. I think I'll pick up some of those and dial out the toe; dial in some more neg camber.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Autocross

Tomorrow, we drive.

Here's the car on the trailer when I took it for the alignment. Now that I have the Mugen lip installed, it won't clear the ramps, so I'll be driving to the event.

My gumballs are removable magnets and the numbers are spray-mounted paper printouts (ran out of time to make vinyl ones). All of the busy styling detail on the GK Fit leaves not much room for numbers. I may play with another shape for future events.

I also may have to remove the hood and tailgate magnets - not sure if the markings rules will allow those (this is my first autox event). I'll be running as a "novice." Looking forward to it, and will post pics after.

es

Last edited by stembridge; 05-20-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:28 PM
jhn
Looks good! They'll let the numbers go. As long as the number and letter size I scca compliant you're good. The others are just extra.

They just have to be visible out in the field.

Don't forget good close toe shoes, sunscreen, and a good hat. You'll have to work the course and you'll be out there in the sun.

Have fun, and just focus on your own driving.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:30 PM
jhn
You'll need an NOV on the side for the novice class too.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
nice looking good. once you start autoxing you will be addicted to anything racing lol!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit Acquits!

What a blast! I had a great time today running my first autocross event ever. The crew assigned me to work the track in the morning, which worked out well as temps were cooler and I got to watch folk's technique. We broke for lunch, and then it was our heat's turn to drive. I work in the building behind my car - my employer allows our regional SCCA club to use the parking lot for these events several times a year.

I gridded myself so I'd be driving near the end of our group, and rode with one of the "pro" drivers in his '94 Corvette on his first lap. Zounds. I now know how a bullet feels when you pull the trigger! His first run (with me) was a touch over 54 seconds and the record time for the day was just over 50.

I was the only Fit in attendance, and the only CVT (or automatic of any kind). I was also the tallest car on the track, and the only one with REAR DRUM BRAKES!

I got seven runs in, and my time dropped from around 65.8 down to 62.9 for my best run (next-to-last). One thing I learned from my ride in the 'Vette was that I had not even begun to plumb the depths of the Fit's braking capacity (which I now know is surprisingly good). However, with my suspension setup, throttle-off hard braking in a turn makes for a very tail-happy Fit! I never turned off stability control, and felt it doing its job numerous times. I got a couple comments on how the CVT sounded ("strange, but sounded good"). Driving the CVT is like driving a turbo, though - there's a bit of lag you have to plan for.

As for driving technique, I started in S1 and let the rev limiter shift for me. I realize now (after sleeping on it - I was seriously buzzed yesterday after the event!) that I was forgetting to paddle "downshift" into the turns, which is why the car seemed sluggish out of some turns - it was in too high a "gear." Being my first time, I was in complete sensory overload. It's easy to think through exactly how you're going to drive the track when you walk it prior to the event - it's a whole 'nuther thing when it's coming at you at speed.

Bad pic, but I was trying to capture my MGPs while racing: 7.3 on this run! (I got about 40 driving home, which is more than I can say for anyone else on the track!).

So how did the Fit acquit itself today? Well, after the handicap adjustment in my "bump" Novice class (five cars, including a BUILT Mustang),

I won First!

(take that, you manual-driving weenies!)

es

Last edited by stembridge; 05-22-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:17 AM
jhn
Congrats! It keeps getting more and more fun as you progress.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
And more and more expensive, I suspect! (c:

es

Old 05-22-2016, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Here's the video from the event:

https://vimeo.com/167624767

es

Quick Reply: The Stembridge Fit (Jazz) Mod Thread - 2015 MSM EX CVT