Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-fit-photos-videos-sub-forum/)
-   -   2017 EX 6MT - Crystal Black Pearl (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-fit-photos-videos-sub-forum/94497-2017-ex-6mt-crystal-black-pearl.html)

Bassguitarist1985 08-20-2014 04:05 PM

2015 EX 6MT - Crystal Black Pearl

Just took delivery of my Fit a few days ago. Had 65 miles on it. Dealer got me a sweet deal with my trade in of my 2011 Fit 5MT. I spent nearly an hour with daylight looking over the body, and with a flashlight in the nooks and crevices looking for any scratches or issues before taking delivery. I'd suggest doing the same when you take delivery. The paint job was perfect, no swirls.

1. I wound up having the dealer fix my emergency brake handle, seems the lever was not adjusted right as it needed more force to engage the rear brakes. It worked, but was too loose for my liking. An easy 5 minute adjustment.
2. Also they forgot to add the fuses for the door locks and interior lights, likely to prevent battery drain. 5 minute fix and I left the dealership happy.

This will be my thread of updates/reviews/mods to the car and I will figure out a way to post pictures using a photo service eventually.

I also have some old accessories from my 2011 that do not fit the 2015. I would like to offer them for sale on here but don't have enough posts yet to make a for sale thread. I have the 2011 nose mask and all season mats for anyone that's interested.

2015 OEM Accessories:

Rear Bumper Applique
All Season Floor Mats
Window Visors
Moonroof Visor
Interior Illumination
Cargo tray
Wheel Locks
Nose Mask
Splash Guards (on order)
Windows Tinted 80%? from Factory

Aftermarket Mods/Accessories:

1080P Dash Cam
JTech LED Interior lights

Planned/On Order:

35% Tint on all windows except windshield as limited by CT state law. (maybe...)
Red painted front brake calipers with Honda decal
Multi-Color Undercarriage/Wheel well LED lighting w/ remote & switch
Samlex Sine Wave Inverter for running small AC accessories like a laptop
I-VTECH DOHC decals (Red/Silver color) for the rear doors

Transmission:

Comparing from my 2011 to the 2015, Gears 1-4 are the same ratio it feels like. 5th and 6th gears are what 5th gear in my 2011 are, with 6th gear letting the engine run ever so slightly slower when around 65MPH. This helps for accelerating on the highway. The reverse lockout prevents you from hitting reverse when traveling beyond 10MPH. The throw of the shifter is nearly identical to the 2011 to me. The clutch is much lighter and grabs very quickly while in gear. I got used to it immediately. No complaints here.

Engine:

Some on here have complained that the engine is too loud. I honestly do not hear a difference in sound volume in comparison to my 2011. The 2015 engine sound has a bit of a "bark" to it in comparison to the 2011's subtle chugging. Best way I can describe it is like a diesel engine, but ever so slightly with the diesel sound characteristic. I would do a sound test with my 500 large diaphragm microphone and compare the sound frequency response, but the bottom line is, the 2015 engine is no louder than the 2011 from inside the cabin

Radio/Display Features:

I like the features a lot as my 2011 was technology challenged. The speakers and volume output are a bit weak. That said, I am noticing a crisper sound over the past few days. I think the speaker surrounds need to loosen up. 160 watts isn't much at all, but clarity is what I'm going after. I think $60 for Hondalink is a waste, I have GPS on my Android phone which isn't supported yet for Hondalink. Bluetooth capability is great, no complaints here. I can mirror my Android phone with an MHL HDMI adapter to the Honda display, but its useless once you start driving or put it in gear as the display goes black. Its a safety feature, but also is a way of making sure Honda sells the Hondalink service to you and you cannot use the free google maps app and have the display be a conduit. This is my biggest negative. Someone needs to hack this to disable this "safety" feature, more like revenue insuring feature for Honda.

Exterior:

Sleek styling. Everyone has their opinions. My only grip is the EX model does not have heated side mirrors standard like the EX-L. Its not even an option on the EX. I plan on investigating the feasibility of transplanting the mirror/heating element (not the entire mirror assembly of the car) to my EX model. I've already confirmed the connectors have the open slots for them, and the under dash fuse panel has open slots for the fuses to run the heated mirrors. Its simply a matter of part availability if it will even fit, wire in the elements to the fuse panel, and add a simple properly sized relay tied into the defrost switch.

Interior:

There is no hidden compartment under the back seat of the 2015 like in my 2011. The 2011 had a microfiber upholstery that literally everything stuck to it. Dust, grass, hair, etc. The 2015 while the upholstery "feels" cheaper, I think it will more than hold up to years of use. Obviously no need to abuse on it. The steering wheel is telescopic and tilting, that's a huge plus for me. I'm 6.3ft tall, and I fit very comfortably, even in the back seat.

Tires:

I got the Bridgestone Turanzas. The rims for the EX look pretty sweet. My only hope is they will not be dead in 28k like on my 2008. I had Turanzas on my 2011 from the dealer and they were dead at 44k.

Cameras:

The lane watch camera is nice, but habit still makes me check the mirrors first. I like the override button to check out the lane watch, the picture is pretty decent considering. The rearview camera is a nice feature. Will take some time getting

That's all I have for now, any specific questions let me know. Good vibes to those who have not received their Fits yet. I think its well worth the wait. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can. I'm open for more aftermarket mods. The undercar lighting is a mod I'm excited about. great when you are parked, not meant to be on while driving. CT cops are pricks.

ArchaicAP2 08-20-2014 04:59 PM

Sounds like you got yourself a great EX & it's nice to hear someone else say they like how the shifter feels. I know I will miss the s2000 when I am in the fit but at least it will still be 6MT. Get some pics up.

Bassguitarist1985 08-20-2014 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicAP2 (Post 1257567)
Sounds like you got yourself a great EX & it's nice to hear someone else say they like how the shifter feels. I know I will miss the s2000 when I am in the fit but at least it will still be 6MT. Get some pics up.

Definitely will. Probably wont get pics up till I do the light mods. The car is gonna be a real looker once its done. Im still torn with the tint. Im not used to having tint. Great for the daytime, but I drive at night too and having it too dark is not a good thing.

domoMKIV 08-20-2014 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 (Post 1257578)
Im still torn with the tint. Im not used to having tint. Great for the daytime, but I drive at night too and having it too dark is not a good thing.

Go with AirBlue 80. I had it on my Forester windshield, was wonderful. I need to get it installed on my Fit.

hellgiver 08-20-2014 11:51 PM

I have a quick question about the interior lighting, does it have a switch like most cabin lights do for on/off/door so it can turn on when a door is open and turn off then the door is closed?

Bassguitarist1985 08-21-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by hellgiver (Post 1257625)
I have a quick question about the interior lighting, does it have a switch like most cabin lights do for on/off/door so it can turn on when a door is open and turn off then the door is closed?

If you are referring to the map lights and dome lights, yes they have a manual on/off/door switch. If you are referring to the blue interior accent lights for the foot wells, then I'm afraid not. They turn on with the running lamps/headlights. There is no manual switch to turn these off. I'm installing those today. My 2011 had a switch where you could manually switch them off if you didn't want them on. Now it seems for the 2015 they did away with that switch and now its a simple on/off based on the headlights/running lamps switch.

Another difference to mention with the headlights is that it has an AUTO setting, meaning they turn on when its dusk and off when its light out. Didn't have that on the 2011...or my 2008.

Bassguitarist1985 08-21-2014 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by domoMKIV (Post 1257612)
Go with AirBlue 80. I had it on my Forester windshield, was wonderful. I need to get it installed on my Fit.

I'm going call a local tint guy today. Came recommended from oddly enough my own mother, a friend of hers. Tint to me isn't super critical. My main reason for having it is strictly for the look, not function. I didn't have it on my last two fits. I have a sun visor for the windshield/dash, and that has served me well. We'll see. The cops around CT, especially state cops don't give a damn. They will pull you over if you are doing 4 mph over the speed limit, and another bastard doing 20mph over speeds past him weaving in/out of traffic.

m_x 08-21-2014 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 (Post 1257668)
I'm installing those today.

These seem like they could be really cool..or kind of cheesy. A subtle glow in the whole footwell is what I'm hoping for, as opposed sort of an LED spot light on your feet.

If you can, update with your installation experience and what you think of the overall effect.

P.S. Good call on the M/T.

Bassguitarist1985 08-21-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by m_x (Post 1257677)
These seem like they could be really cool..or kind of cheesy. A subtle glow in the whole footwell is what I'm hoping for, as opposed sort of an LED spot light on your feet.

If you can, update with your installation experience and what you think of the overall effect.

P.S. Good call on the M/T.

If its anything like my 2011, a subtle blue glow is exactly what you will get. I didn't want a spotlight either. I looked at the kit last night and its actually easier to install than on my 2011. That car I had to remove the under dash panels & DRILL into the plastic for the lights to be installed. This 2015 kit has brackets and the plastic panels have positions for self tapping screws to mount them. A few wire ties and boom all done. I'll let you know further details later.

Thanks, I will drive a manual tranny till my legs fall off. If manufactures stop making a manual, then I'll by an older car with a manual! LOL

m_x 08-21-2014 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 (Post 1257678)
Thanks, I will drive a manual tranny till my legs fall off. If manufactures stop making a manual, then I'll by an older car with a manual! LOL

I drove my roommates stick shift truck pretty extensively, but this is the first one I've owned and driven daily. I don't want to go back! I have never paid for a clutch job though so... we'll see I feel afterwards.

Either way, I plan on driving this Fit til death do us part. If I love it as much as I do today when the clutch finally goes, I'll happily cross that bridge when I come to it.

Bassguitarist1985 08-22-2014 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by m_x (Post 1257677)

Installed these bad boys last night. They are much easier to install than on my 2011. No need for drilling this time. I busted my hand up removing the lower center panel where the power port, USB, and HDMI plugs are. Even after you remove that screw the clips hold it pretty tight. The lower panels of the dash clip out easily. Do you need to pull away the door weather seal slightly on the drivers side, and use a plastic pry tool to remove the left side cover panel that hold the driver side lower panel to the rest of the dash. I used 4 zip ties, installed the brackets/LEDs with self tapping screws, reassemble, done. No manual on/off switch but it don't bother me. Meaning they are always on with the parking lamps/headlights. Can't shut the LEDs off when the headlights/PL's are on. Its not a blinding bright blue anyway, very subtle, just enough to see its a blue under glow.

Installed the moon roof visor too. A bit tricky to install the protective 3M plastic pieces behind the brackets so it don't scratch the paint. Don't forget to wax the area where its being installed before putting it in. Also watch out from touching the slide mechanism too often as you will get lithium grease all over your hands. The rubber surround on the visor needs to lay flat once you tighten it down to the car, no creases or folds. Other than that, very easy to install. I wiped down the slide mechanism of my fingerprints in the grease after I was done.

The rear bumper applique was easy too. Clean the area with the alcohol pad, remove the center strip, stick it down, and use the squeegee to do each side one at a time removing air bubbles. I did the top side first, then the overhang of the strip I started from the center and worked my way outward. Its almost impossible to screw this up. Take your time and this is a nice upgrade. I love it because I do haul my music gear often. Its peace of mind to me.

Next upgrade is the OEM window visors, I'm skipping the tint.

Bassguitarist1985 08-24-2014 06:11 PM

Installed the vent visors. Really like the look. Definitely not as low profile as ones on my 2011. It doesn't bother me at all the function and overall look I really enjoy.

I test fitted the front nose mask today and fits like a glove. I don't normally keep it on for around town driving. To me the nose mask should only be used for long road trips and during the winter if you don't mind having to put it on in the cold. A lot of people make the mistake of leaving the nose mask on all the time and dirt and crap gets behind it scratch the paint and also causes the paint to fade over time. Great accessory.

The next upgrade is the multi color led lights underneath the chassis. I have already added the samlex 2000 watt power inverter underneath the passenger seat. I have put a fuse on it to limit its output to 40 amps continuous at 12 volts which is 400 watts at 115 volts roughly.

I apologize for the delay on pictures I want to get all the modifications done before I post them.

Any questions let me know.

Bassguitarist1985 09-04-2014 11:17 AM

Here are some pictures. I'll be adding more as time allows.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9197

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9203

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9194

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9193

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9192

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9201

Anyatheawesome 09-04-2014 02:03 PM

Ohhh man, that's beautiful! :bowdown:

m_x 09-04-2014 02:34 PM

Man! So Ill!!! I'm loving all your posts; the Fit is coming along nicely.

Plus, it's a 6 speed! This is what awesome looks like.

Bassguitarist1985 09-04-2014 04:26 PM

Thank you!! I just put the splash guards on the other day. I also still have some LED lighting left over since I only did the sides. Have to figure out what else I can mod out.

I'll get pictures of the power inverter setup and splash guards up soon.

I just got the EX-L mirror glass with heating grid today. It will be a few days before I can install heated side mirrors on my EX.

rodney 09-06-2014 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 (Post 1261359)
I just got the EX-L mirror glass with heating grid today. It will be a few days before I can install heated side mirrors on my EX.

:nod: :bowdown:

Bassguitarist1985 09-06-2014 09:15 PM

here are pictures of the mirrors for the EX-L. The mounts are confirmed the same for either the EX or EX-L. This project is VERY feasible. I'll start tackling this sometime this week

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9264

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9263
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9262

Bassguitarist1985 10-06-2014 10:42 PM

Body Side Molding installed

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9367

ROTTBOY 10-06-2014 10:52 PM

Definitely another Sweet GK. Those i-VTEC stickers are a perfect combination for your color.
Congrats on your great looking Fit!!!!:thumbups: