Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/)
-   -   Rear Disc Brakes for the GK (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/87476-rear-disc-brakes-gk.html)

stembridge 01-26-2015 09:26 PM

Rear Disc Brakes for the GK

Oh my… I can feel the pull on my wallet even now! Need to finish installing the stuff I already bought first, tho. Not to mention get through Winter…

Go Tuning Unlimited - HONDA OEM JDM FIT RS REAR DISC BRAKE CONVERSION - FIT GK

http://www.gotuning.com/images/produ...0.thumb_medium

es

mike410b 01-26-2015 09:36 PM

Why do you want rear disks?

stembridge 01-26-2015 10:01 PM

Aesthetics.

es

Bassguitarist1985 01-26-2015 10:24 PM

that is very steep price for aesthetics.

stembridge 01-26-2015 10:51 PM

I won't argue that! While it's fun to contemplate doing that mod, it's the kind of thing that's *way* down the list of priorities (especially for the budget).

That said, I could say the same thing about folks that drop a grand into a sound system. It's not the kind of thing that I'm that interested in, but hey - their car, their money, their fun!

es

mike410b 01-26-2015 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by stembridge (Post 1289158)
I won't argue that! While it's fun to contemplate doing that mod, it's the kind of thing that's *way* down the list of priorities (especially for the budget).

That said, I could say the same thing about folks that drop a grand into a sound system. It's not the kind of thing that I'm that interested in, but hey - their car, their money, their fun!

es

Except that has actual benefits :wiggle:

stembridge 01-26-2015 11:07 PM

So do disc brakes, under certain conditions. My hearing is too far gone to get much benefit from an expensive sound system, so to each his own!

es

apexanimal 01-27-2015 01:17 PM

looks like they're using nissan calipers...

Apexracing 01-28-2015 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by apexanimal (Post 1289267)
looks like they're using nissan calipers...

nissin not nissan, they are the oem manufacturer of calipers for most honda vehicles and probably many others as well.

Wanderer. 01-28-2015 05:25 PM

Those are just OEM JDM Fit RS parts. That's cool if it bolts on fairly easily without messing with parking brake cables or anything like that. I bet the price will go down significantly as time passes, or you could look for other ways to import the assembly.

I mean, if this is truly way down the list on things to do, I think it will get much cheaper as parts become more available.

stembridge 01-28-2015 06:02 PM

I agree. It's still early days for the GK aftermarket.

es

apexanimal 01-28-2015 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Apexracing (Post 1289414)
nissin not nissan, they are the oem manufacturer of calipers for most honda vehicles and probably many others as well.

ah yes... thank you...

jhn 02-03-2015 09:27 PM

I would consider doing this if the pb cable doesn't have to be swapped. What do you think the odds are that the factory cable will work?

stembridge 02-04-2015 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jhn (Post 1290645)
I would consider doing this if the pb cable doesn't have to be swapped. What do you think the odds are that the factory cable will work?

Good question… I'm tempted to contact them and ask for a PDF of install instructions or similar to get an idea of how "bolt on" this really is.

es

jhn 02-04-2015 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by stembridge (Post 1290708)
Good question… I'm tempted to contact them and ask for a PDF of install instructions or similar to get an idea of how "bolt on" this really is.

es

I did exactly this. They do not have instructions, but the PB cable is included. They forgot it on the site. It's an OEM Honda cable for this application.

They were helpful, with a really quick response to my email. I'd like to do this sometime in the future, especially since it's a Honda system.

stembridge 02-04-2015 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jhn (Post 1290728)
I did exactly this. They do not have instructions, but the PB cable is included. They forgot it on the site. It's an OEM Honda cable for this application.

They were helpful, with a really quick response to my email. I'd like to do this sometime in the future, especially since it's a Honda system.

Thanks for checking and confirming - good to know, and I like that this is all OEM. Looks like I can get pretty close to building a mock Jazz RS. :)

es

TofuShop 02-13-2015 01:36 PM

Ouch - that's a steep markup.

stembridge 02-13-2015 02:45 PM

Just noticed they raised the price to a cool $1,000. Guess that parking brake cable must be expensive!

es

elkaku 08-03-2018 01:24 PM

Is it me or does that "GK" rear brakes looks IMMENSELY alike the regular 90-91 integra, crx si etc etc etc rear brakes.....

Helios 08-06-2018 06:48 AM

Resurrecting to discuss something I stumbled on last night. Unique Power International, a Taiwanese company that specializes in DRUM IN ROTOR brake conversions. They make pieces that retain the drum e-brake functionality, and then a rotor bolts over top. Rotor looks a little thin, but otherwise everything looks solid. I sent an email and they let me know the kit is currently out of stock, but cost is $600 USD with $150 to ship to me in Ohio. I sent a follow up asking questions about service (i.e. are caliper and brake pads something I can replace easily from a standard model, how much for spare rotors, etc).

Here's the video I stumbled on: