3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

OEM tire life

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Chazman
What does it say for TREAD WEAR rating on your tieres?
The tread wear is stated as 400, which is obviously not very appropriate to me. And the wear isn't due to misalignment or anything such as that. They are all wearing very evenly; it's just that they are wearing quickly. And I check tire pressure on a monthly basis to ensure they are to psi spec. Also, the car is an LX with CVT, not the manual. So it's not due to any "jack rabbit" kind of starts. I drive fairly conservatively in fact with the Eco button always on.

In any event, I have decided to replace the tires within a few weeks. They are becoming treacherous on the highway in the rain and I have to drive below the speed limit otherwise the car begins to hydroplane. The first time that it happened I was going 55 in a 65 (while other cars were flying by me) and I almost slide sideways into the guard rail.

These tires must go!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I was at 6/32. I have lots of tread left on my tires and I'm hoping he's right.
Tire Rack website:

"Tire Rack's advice is that if rain and wet roads are a concern, you should consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 4/32" of remaining tread depth."

Old 03-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks for letting me know about Tire Rack's suggestion. They definitely need to be replaced soon. Because they have worn so low, they don't have much cross-tread left on them. I've been reading some online reviews to figure out which tires are more favorable. Although, I thankfully only have another 17K miles left on the lease.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazman
Tire Rack website:

"Tire Rack's advice is that if rain and wet roads are a concern, you should consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 4/32" of remaining tread depth."
Replace at 4/32"? Hmmm, a tire seller telling you to replace tires early. I wonder why...? I can see 3/32 as a time to start shopping but earlier than that seems to be a waste of a still functional tire. IMO of course

Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Replace at 4/32"? Hmmm, a tire seller telling you to replace tires early. I wonder why...? I can see 3/32 as a time to start shopping but earlier than that seems to be a waste of a still functional tire. IMO of course
Hmm, some random potato from the internet or the biggest retailer of tires in this hemisphere? An eighth of an inch of tread is very little, when you come crashing into someone come rain...I hope they find a lawyer who knows their way around a civil suit. Willful negligence

Old 03-20-2016, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Hmm, some random potato from the internet or the biggest retailer of tires in this hemisphere? An eighth of an inch of tread is very little, when you come crashing into someone come rain...I hope they find a lawyer who knows their way around a civil suit. Willful negligence
It's only willful negligence if you know it's dangerous and you continue to operate as such. 3/32 is legally within the limit. If you feel so strongly, work with the legislators to change it. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my VTEC

I like potatoes, it's better than a turnip.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
You don't even have real VTEC.

Keep endangering the lives of other motorists I guess, just stay out of the midwest.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member

Keep endangering the lives of other motorists I guess, just stay out of the midwest.
Sticker on the engine says so but whatever makes you feel better. Really I couldn't care less since it's my commuter car. 44 mpg of powered by unicorn farts is great!

Ha, speed kills more than bad tires. You mean to tell me you've never gone over the speed limit? You can have the mid west, I prefer the actual mountains and turns of the Appalachia.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Great point to make! Those that heed otherwise, are ignorant. Many years ago, I was in a chain car collision accident. A guy hit me from behind and pushed me into the car in front of me. There were 5 cars involved. What did the state police do as part of their report? They went to each car and they measured the tread depth on the tires for each of our cars. And every tread depth was noted in their report.

Last edited by pherank; 03-20-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by pherank
I now have 19K miles on my Firestone FR740 tires and they are almost down to the wear indicators. I highly doubt that I will see 25K on these tires. I would expect this type of accelerated wear on a high-performance vehicle, but for a little econobox this is pathetic! And I have rotated the tires 3 times to help ensure better tire wear, but it obviously didn't help. I had a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup and I got 105K miles (no lie!) out of the OEM Uniroyal Tigerpaws. I was hoping these Firestones made it through the 36K miles on my Fit's lease, but I will surely have to replace them before turning the vehicle back to Honda. And unless they offer me some kind of extraordinary lease deal, I don't think I'll be leasing another Honda. I've had too many issues with my Fit and I am very disappointed in this brand.
Firestone is junk. I replaced them at 40k with Michelin Premier A/S 185 55r16. The Firestone sidewalls FL and RL were bulging and I was concerned they were going to explode so got them replaced as soon as I could... Premature replacement. Never had bulging sidewalls on any tires before, which had been Dunlop's, terrible first time Firestone experience, never again!

Old 03-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Honda4Life15
Firestone is junk. I replaced them at 40k with Michelin Premier A/S 185 55r16. The Firestone sidewalls FL and RL were bulging and I was concerned they were going to explode so got them replaced as soon as I could... Premature replacement. Never had bulging sidewalls on any tires before, which had been Dunlop's, terrible first time Firestone experience, never again!
I've had Michelin before. Good tires! And yes, the Firestone are junk! Not truly the car's fault, but in the 17 months that I've owned my Fit, I've had 3 nail punctures that needed to be plugged (Three! And I live in the city and not on a construction site :-), I had a tire blowout when I simply bumped a curb from taking a turn too sharply in a parking lot (probably going 5 mph), and I scraped a curb while parallel parking and it tore a 1/2" by 1/2" chunk out of the sidewall. I do have a Firestone FR710 on the blowout and it does seem to be wearing a lot better than the FR740. Like I stated in my original post, I had Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my Chevy S10 and I got 105K miles out of those tires.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
VBR,,, Violation of Basic rule. This ticket can be issued in most states and includes,

Traveling too fast for conditions (Officers discretion)
Unsafe equipment (Bald tires, failing to have tire chains in the car, cracked windscreen etc etc.. )
Overloaded vehicle.
Distracted driving.

Basically this is the freebie ticket for the cops. Seldom gets beat in court without a real lawyer.. Almost always issued at an accident..

YMMV..

Old 04-02-2016, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
I was really hoping to get more life out of these tires until I hit a pothole last night and popped the front passenger. I don't think I was going more than 15 mph and instantly realized the tire has deflated. Nice little tear in the sidewall. More surprising was the tpms did not light up.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
the tpms isnt the traditional sensor that is inside the tire. it measures rotations per corner to calculate if your tire has deflated from your set values

Old 04-03-2016, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
the tpms isnt the traditional sensor that is inside the tire. it measures rotations per corner to calculate if your tire has deflated from your set values
And it was surprising that after about mile limping home, the tpms didn't go off. I guess it needs much more to realize that there is a difference. I could instantly feel there was something off and I pulled over to check and sure enough it was deflated. Since I wasn't far from home and in just neighborhood roads I decided it was easier to change the tire in my garage with a floor jack.

So this system is not very sensitive as compared to the one on my 4runner. That has individual wheel sensors measuring PSI. I ran over a nail once and before I could feel the loss of pressure, the light was already on.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Last tread depth measurement from America's tires just last week at a little over 29k miles, 4/32 on my Firestone FR740. Since I had a nail punctured one of the tires, I went in for their repair, but America's tires wanted me to replace my tires.

The guy at America's tires marked down at 3/32 and wanted me to replace them, I made him do the measurement again and his gauge even has the color "GREEN", "YELLOW", and "RED". It was at the yellow on his gauge and you can tell that it is 4/32, but he marked 3/32 and doing his sale pitch walking me to their tire chart in their shop showing me that when it is RED, it needs to be replaced at 3/32. NHTSA = 2/32 is when tires needed to be replaced.

Link for ref when needed to replace tires.

Anyway, these will be replaced before this coming Winter. Now, the question is, which should I get? Falken? Continental? Goodyear? BFGoodrich? Michelin? Pirelli? Yokohama? or ?!?!?! Looking for 205/50/16 for my Ex.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
doing his sale pitch
That's a typical America's Tires Co's sales tactic they always use on their customers. They are quite aggressive on that often using the word 'safety'. One time they would not even give my car key back saying they couldn't let me go home on worn out tires when I told them I would shop around more.

Originally Posted by fibrepunk
Now, the question is, which should I get?
The question is what's your priority when selecting tires - price, traction, treadwear, termperature, etc.
For cars like Fit that I mainly use for bumper to bumper commutes ,I pick the highest treadwear (>400) with low to mid price range, and I don't care what brand that might be when I buy from well known franchised stores.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
I bought one of these after my last flat and checked the 3 original tires: Victor Tire Tread Depth Gauge 22-5-60174-8: Advance Auto Parts

They were still between 5/32 - 6/32 and that was around 25k.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Just for education purpose:
What's the differece between the real VTEC and non-real VTEC?
I thought VTEC is VTEC...

Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 PM
People like to call vtec that only occurs only in the intake cam fake vtec. While vtec occuring in both intake and exhaust cam real vtec. But vtec is still vtec.

Quick Reply: OEM tire life