Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Amateur Photographer @ Local Car Meet - Columbia, SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Amateur Photographer @ Local Car Meet - Columbia, SC

Yay! It may not seem like a big deal to you guys but i just attended my first car meet, and considering my dream of becoming an automotive photographer, i just had to try and get some shots. There weren't that many cars and i did not have a good low-light lens, but i did what i could with what i had.

Here is the full set:

Main Street Car Meet - Columbia, SC - A Set on Flickr!

and here are some sample shots. Enjoy and let me know what you guys think!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Good photos.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by TheKey
Good photos.
Thank you, my friend.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:44 AM
I was at work yesterday and saw that some cars gathered up on a neighboring parking lot and got interested. Once again, my lens is not good for low light but i did the best that i could. Here are some samples, and the full set can be found here:

Florence, SC - A Set on Flickr

These were in Florence, not in Columbia like the last meet was. It was considerably smaller but i'm always willing to check them out!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Got back from my second meet today! A lot of new cars showed up so i was greatly surprised. And i had my tripod for the low-light shots so it all came out better. The full set can be viewed:

/

Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Introduction

Hi people I have joined this forum as a new member. I don't able to find an introduction thread or any new thread so I am posting my intro under this thread. I am a car enthusiast and love to join it.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
i'm not one for car show photos, but they're good practice for sure.
it's hard to control the situation because by the very nature of car shows the backdrops are cluttered with all kinds of stuff.

your interior shots/engine shots look good though. way to make use of good light and i dig your tonal contrast, so your processing/shooting on these are very consistant in that.

I'm just nitpicking but thought it'd help you out to make some images.
overall, just give your subjects some breathing room when you're not doing close up detail shots.

I'd say watch out on the way you frame your compositions.
Some images are super close up, which is fine for those detail shots, but really give your subject some breathing room and try not to cut off anything important.

back up a little and give your subject some breathing room in your framing.
like the shot of the Porsche, DeLorean and the skyline, watch out on the bottom and the sides, feels dangerously little tight.

the engine shot of the mustang and the sunflare is in this awkward in between point where it feels like you're not sure if you want to get closer and get just the grille and the engine bay or stepping back and getting all of the whole front end and engine bay.

just my opinions though

Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Hello my friend, and of course i do not mind your comments; any and all feedback is always appreciated!
As i mentioned before i am just beginning to inch my way onto the scene by attending car shows, meets, etc. Unfortunately i do not have much time to do this or money for good lenses but i make do with what i have.
As for the extreme close-ups, i definitely understand what you are saying. I would take wider shots of these cars but as you said, a lot of unnecessary crap finds its way into my shots, especially since this is such a small street in a tight downtown area. I am only working with a kit lens but am certainly working hard to be able to afford a good low-light kit with a good flash and a f/1.8 lens, so hopefully i will only see positive progress from this point on. Again, thanks for the feedback and if (hopefully!) i am able to attend this meet again this Thursday (Dec. 6), i will certainly keep your tips on my shoulder.