General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Sugarphreaks New Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Sugarphreaks New Mileage

I had a lot of questions directed to me recently about mileage after I switched over to the weapon-R intake manifold and Greddy E-manage Ultimate tune... in addition to the other I/H/E engine modifications I have done. Well I finally got around to trying to track it a bit;

Base Data: 327 km from fill up to fill up; 25.04L of gas used
Gas mileage: 7.66L/100 or 30.71MPG
Conditions: Heavy city driving ONLY with an all day autox event

Yes, you read correctly.... we are talking about an all day autocross event right in the middle of this tank. Practically the most gas-guzzling thing I could have possibly done.... and I still got over 30mpg. Also for the record I drive with a lead foot!

Stay tuned for the next typical city gas mileage. Should be a good one, I have been hitting traffic jams all day today with the road construction going on.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Bump!
Update, I filled up again All city driving, results look good. A fully tuned car still gets great mileage. (FYI, I run about 34psi in my tires)

Base Data: 384 km from fill up to fill up; 27.20L of gas used
Gas mileage: 7.08L/100 or 33.22MPG
Conditions: Heavy city driving, lots of slow and stalled traffic

My city mileage has never been so good!! I can barely wait to hit the highway to see what this car can really do! Funny, I never got excited about my mileage before... stupid eco guys are rubbing off on me. lol

Although 33 is right in line with the EPA's older window stickers for city mileage. I can't believe the new sticker is 28!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-07-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Last and final fill up for this study thread; I took it easy on the throttle (most of the time) and didn't hit too many traffic jams on this tank. This will reflect my typical city mileage;

Base Data: 436 km from fill up to fill up; 29.44L of gas used
Gas mileage: 6.75L/100 or 34.85MPG
Conditions: Typical city driving, not too many traffic jams

Final Conclusion: Even with a substantial amounts of modifications, the Fit still can retain it's excellent fuel consumption easily. I expected my MPG to be around 30 or less in the city with the larger & heavier summer tires along with he changes to the fuel map via the Greddy engine management system.

For the record, here are the engine modifications I am currently running for these MPG recordings;

Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
Weapon R Intake Manifold
Fujita CAI
T1R Response Header
T1R B Pipe
T1R Gen1 50S Muffler

Hopefully this is useful for anybody who may have concerns about how these products may impact their mileage. I will revisit this thread in August when I do a road trip and report typical Highway mileage.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
UPDATE:

Just got back from my road trip Some highway mileage to report:

Point to point mileage 1
Base Data: 468.5 km from fill up to fill up; 28.006L of gas used
Gas mileage: 5.98L/100 or 39.33MPG
Elevation Note: Total descending approx 665M (2175ft) overall, several high mountain summits also encountered above 1330M (4364ft).
Conditions: Highway only, Mountainous terrain with a few rest stops & average of 90-120kmh. Discovered slow leak in front right tire thanks to a embedded screw, was operating at 26psi for 1/2 of the trip

Point to point mileage 2
Base Data: 419.7 km from fill up to fill up; 25.297L of gas used
Gas mileage: 6.03L/100 or 39.01MPG
Elevation Note: Total increase of approx 665M (2175ft) overall, several high mountain summits also encountered above 1330M (4364ft).
Conditions: Highway only, Mountainous terrain with a few rest stops & average of 90-120kmh. Heavy traffic, lots of single lane passing involved to get around slower moving vehicles. Tire pressure was maintained at 34psi throughout the trip.

In conclusion I have lost about 3-5mpg since doing this trip last year. I was disappointed I was not able to crack 40mpg this year. Major factors being the new parts and engine tune and also a change in tire size from 205/40 to 195/40 which I feel played a large part. On the plus side passing power was substantially increased and the car felt effortless to pass on steep grades. Last year some of the hills were a bit of a struggle, this year I easily sailed by most of the traffic. When dropping it into third for single lane passing situations the car felt like it had a rocket attached to it, I think I surprised a few people I passed.

Also, as a side note I noticed Dodge Calibers really suck on mountain roads, I was constantly encountering them not able to maintain the speed limit on steep grades.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
nice MPG on that roadtrip!

Your setup sounds really good. If you can get above 30mpg with aggressive driving, the I/H/E must be helping I want a weapon R manifold but don't know if it would be worth it for my automatic. Furthermore, I don't know if I would be able to install it myself with regular tools. I've only installed a rear anti-sway bar and an intake. How would you rate the install process?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Great report! Now get that thing on a dyno and post up!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:39 PM
You stated that your car is tuned. What do you mean by that. What was tuned, with what apparatus and how?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Car is tuned with Greddy E-manage Ultimate by AJR; tuning is done by measuring the AF on a wideband sensor while it is hooked up to a laptop in real time, they can tweak things as they go to get the most power throughout the power band. It does other cool stuff like elliminate the speed limiter and data-logging as well. I plugged in a laptop to check out some of the advance features of it a few weeks ago, it is a pretty neat peice of technology.

It also has an option for remote switch to flip between maps, I want to download an eco program so that I can flip to on the fly when I am cruising around town.

Granted it isn't a stand alone system, there isn't anything other than a reflash available for that right now anyway.

Originally Posted by suketoborudo00
nice MPG on that roadtrip!

Your setup sounds really good. If you can get above 30mpg with aggressive driving, the I/H/E must be helping I want a weapon R manifold but don't know if it would be worth it for my automatic. Furthermore, I don't know if I would be able to install it myself with regular tools. I've only installed a rear anti-sway bar and an intake. How would you rate the install process?
Hey thanks, I have to say that all things considered I am pretty happy with the setup. I keep getting tempted to swap in a turbo or supercharger kit, but that means a switch to premium fuel and possible problems\annoyances in the winter. I plan to pick up a 1 or 3 series BMW (hopefully an M-version of the 135i comes out) sometime next year so it really doesn't make sense for me to go too overboard with this car as it will remain my DD.

The WeaponR manifold makes a pretty substantial difference in the power of the car, but as it requires re-tuning when you install it I just had AJR do it at the same time as my e-manage (I opted out of the weaponR fuel computer). It looks pretty straight forward to install, nothing too complicated... although watching it be installed is an entirely different thing than doing it yourself It is pricey, but I think it is totally worth it. The second revision is out now with the EGR port, that should eliminate the CEL problem I have been experiencing (just a low EGR flow warning light, nothing serious) Not to mention when you pop the hood people always seem to take a few steps back

One thing to note is once I wrap up a few more modifications I plan to dyno tune (a bit more accurate than wideband) and account for the elevation difference between here and Vancouver. AJR did their best to take that into account, but with new mods I will need to tweak the tune anyway.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Looks like I just recorded a bit of a fluke tank. Was a mix of highway and city driving, including a nice little windy stretch where I really opened it up (about 26km). I came across a pretty cool switch back as well, never done one quite that steep before! I did take it easy for most of the trip as I had other passengers in the car for most of this tank.

Base Data: 494.8 km from fill up to fill up; 26.55L of gas used
Gas mileage: 5.37L/100 or 43.80MPG
Conditions: 65% highway, took it easy in the city. Fill ups done at same station (even same pump) to the first "click".

Feel'n pretty good, I was a bit disappointed I missed 40mpg on my roadtrip.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
wow nice mpgs! keep up the recordings :-)

Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, my next tank is going to suck. I have about 4-5 hours of highway driving tomorrow... but a full day of AutoX right in the middle of it.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:40 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I came across a pretty cool switch back as well, never done one quite that steep before!
That sounds to me like one fine place to spend a few well-earned MPG. After all (for me at least) at the end of the day this isn't just about getting there, it's about getting there with a smile on your face. In a Fit, Eco + smile seems to work out to roughly 40.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah I was guilty of having an ear to ear smile today

Was a ton of fun out there, can't complain too much about the gas because a lot of those guys were eating much bigger bills than I was for fuel.

The Fit is a great little car for these events, lacks a bit in power but makes up for that in great handling.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
My best was 700.1km on 37L, now thats with a stock standard Fit/Jazz. Fuel consumption was sitting at 5.9L/100km when the fuel light came on. What did you typically get when your car was stock? and do you think it makes a difference I use 95 octane vs the 89 or 91 used in the States?

Old 04-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I actually measured my car on another thread somewhere when it was (closer to) stock. I could crack 40mpg no problem on the highway.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...79-40-mpg.html (POST #3)

I will be reviving this thread towards this summer with some updated numbers. I have new mods, new lightweight tires & a more precise engine tune in the works.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-05-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Got an update of how the ol' Fit is performing for mileage with the with new mods. Still just street tuned, it should be a bit better once I get it fine tuned.

Base Data: 446.2 km from fill up to fill up; 34.46L of gas used
Gas mileage: 7.72L/100 or 30.47MPG
Conditions: 100% City, no highway mileage for this tank. I usually hammer it at every chance I get... force of habit. Probably hurts my mileage a lot

To answer the post above; I use regular gas, no fancy premium goes into my car!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-06-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
About how much is the E-Manage, and then how much to get it tuned?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Are these Imperial gallons?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
Are these Imperial gallons?
I calculate the L/100 measurement (is standard for measuring mileage in Canada), then convert it to the same measurement system you guys use.

Contrary to popular belief most Canadians actually prefer using MPG,

I do know there is another measurement for gallon, about a year ago I started noticing cars with retarded MPG advertised in the paper. I was like "That car doesn't get that kind of mileage.... why are they advertising MPG in a Canadian newspaper anyway?"... it was a giant ploy to use a totally different gallon measurement to confuse people.

About how much is the E-Manage, and then how much to get it tuned?
It is listed at 680$ USD on the greddy website. Depending on how you get it tuned (Dyno or Street Tuned & if the guy is any good) it would cost anywhere from 100$ to 300$.

Another thing is try to get a harness made for it, splicing it in will give you a lot of headaches down the road if you ever go to take it out.

The hardest part of tuning is finding somebody who will take it seriously, a lot of dyno operators don't seem to care about an extra couple of whp.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-07-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM
i love college
what happened to the WR race header? now youre using t1r?

Quick Reply: Sugarphreaks New Mileage