Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Tent for Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Tent for Fit?

Anyone use an attached tent for their Fit? Positive or negative comments for us campers? Thanks.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:54 PM
IIRC, the Odyssey and Pilots had a similar accessory that you could purchase. Some members experienced battery-drain - apparently with the hatch open, even if you were to unplug the bulbs, there was some sort of parasitic draw (similar situation with the sliding doors/passenger doors open).

That would be my main concern when camping with the Fit.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
IIRC, the Odyssey and Pilots had a similar accessory that you could purchase. Some members experienced battery-drain - apparently with the hatch open, even if you were to unplug the bulbs, there was some sort of parasitic draw (similar situation with the sliding doors/passenger doors open).

Well, you could always put a "block" on the light switch and fool it into thinking the door was closed? :-)

Old 05-13-2019, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
First or second gem Fit -- I do not think you would have to worry about that. I have a GE and I don't think the car is doing very much thinking about the rear hatch position aside from the light. My two cents. They are smartly designed but pretty simple things for the most part.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:40 AM

Hey, marmaladedad----by-the-way, did you ever buff out your car with one of those foam pads? Just wondering how it turned out?

Old 05-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
Hey, marmaladedad----by-the-way, did you ever buff out your car with one of those foam pads? Just wondering how it turned out?
I have not tried it yet. I finally washed the car yesterday, but there is an impending storm coming soon. Seeing the hood clear of dirt and dust, I see lots of rock chips. Now I have to tend to those as well.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:45 PM
I have not tried it yet. I finally washed the car yesterday, but there is an impending storm coming soon. Seeing the hood clear of dirt and dust, I see lots of rock chips. Now I have to tend to those as well.
Yeah, my hood must of had no less than a hundred pin-sized nicks. I made sure I washed the car, then touched up those nicks then waited a few days for the paint to really dry well------then I worked on the finish. (Buffing, waxing, etc.) The new touch up paint will stick out like a sore thumb until you get the car's finish all buffed and waxed. Then, not so noticeable. I'm anxious for you to see the difference the buff is going to make. Once I started on my finish and saw what it did for the paint job, I didn't want to stop. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
Yeah, my hood must of had no less than a hundred pin-sized nicks. I made sure I washed the car, then touched up those nicks then waited a few days for the paint to really dry well------then I worked on the finish. (Buffing, waxing, etc.) The new touch up paint will stick out like a sore thumb until you get the car's finish all buffed and waxed. Then, not so noticeable. I'm anxious for you to see the difference the buff is going to make. Once I started on my finish and saw what it did for the paint job, I didn't want to stop. Good luck.
Thanks! My plan is to do half of the car, then wait a week. No specific reason, other than being able to claim I did it half-assed.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Old 05-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Talking

Thanks! My plan is to do half of the car, then wait a week. No specific reason, other than being able to claim I did it half-assed.
Hey, good plan. I'd put "Before" on the old side and "After" on the new! :-)