Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   Recommended Car Seat Fabric/Carpet Cleaner? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/13185-recommended-car-seat-fabric-carpet-cleaner.html)

donnival 04-24-2007 01:42 AM

Recommended Car Seat Fabric/Carpet Cleaner?

Can anyone recommend a reliable car seat fabric/carpet cleaner for spot stains?

I picked up a Scotchguard spray cleaner and not only did it NOT work, it created a stain ON TOP of the existing stain!

I'm trying to get out a little mark on the gray part of the seat cushion on the driver bucket seat.

Please help, thanks!

fits_all 04-24-2007 02:32 AM

Tuff Stuff. This product has many years on the market and is quite economic in price, but works 100% in my beige interior including seats. I recommend to apply it on stained area and scrub it in one direction slightly, but then apply to the whole area(example: if spot in the seating area of the seat, apply it on the whole lower part) so it dont look uneven.

donnival 04-24-2007 02:44 AM

Thanks for the tip! I saw that at Pep Boys when I was getting the other stuff ... should have chosen that one instead.

Oh well.

smeister 04-24-2007 08:38 AM

I use Resolve carpet cleaner and it does the job. It lifts the stain out and then you wipe it off.

mwr 04-24-2007 04:31 PM

I bought a small Bissell carpet/upholstery cleaner to use at home, and recently tried it on a friends' Toyota Matrix that had REALLY dirty and stained seats. The Bissell worked great because it squirts out the cleaner solution and then you scrub it and suck it back up like a vacuum. You should see the color of the dirty solution in the catch tank. If all you do is squirt some spot cleaner on there and try to blot it up with a towel, I can't imagine it would get out nearly as much crud. Anyway, after two passes the seats look like new, and I'm picky.

Sport 04-28-2007 09:58 PM

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even know that they sell small carpet cleaners. I thought you always have to buy those big clunky ones, or rent them. I check on Walmart online and they sell a small Bissell for $80 CAD or something. Pretty good investment IMO especially if it cleans my upholstery to "as new" condition as you claim. :)

Originally Posted by mwr (Post 135343)
I bought a small Bissell carpet/upholstery cleaner to use at home, and recently tried it on a friends' Toyota Matrix that had REALLY dirty and stained seats. The Bissell worked great because it squirts out the cleaner solution and then you scrub it and suck it back up like a vacuum. You should see the color of the dirty solution in the catch tank. If all you do is squirt some spot cleaner on there and try to blot it up with a towel, I can't imagine it would get out nearly as much crud. Anyway, after two passes the seats look like new, and I'm picky.

Flinttownpoker 04-28-2007 10:57 PM

I have always used Blue Corral brand carpet cleaner. Has worked great in the past for me but you have to get to the stains right away before they set in. If they set in I haven't found anything that completely works.

cc1 07-14-2007 07:41 AM

Wd-40

On 2nd day of owning my Base MT, I had a Viper security system installed, and the guy who installed it left a grease or oil spot on driver's seat in the light grey area. The spot was about 2" x 1"

First I tried Resolve Spot Magic, and it might have lightened spot a bit.

Then I researched on web, and found 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover. 303 did a better job, and lightened the spot more, but spot was still very visible. I used a little brush to work the area too.

Finally, a detailer suggested using WD-40 to remove the spot. He said that a solvent based product would help get out the grease/oil.

WD-40 worked. I tested a small area first to see if WD-40 would stain, but it was fine. I soaked grease/oil spot with WD-40, agitated area with small brush, ragged it up. Then sprayed area with 303 Cleaner, ragged it up. Then went over area with clean damp rag and clean water.

There is no sign of any spot, or area that was cleaned.

smeister 07-14-2007 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by cc1 (Post 157136)
On 2nd day of owning my Base MT, I had a Viper security system installed, and the guy who installed it left a grease or oil spot on driver's seat in the light grey area. The spot was about 2" x 1"

First I tried Resolve Spot Magic, and it might have lightened spot a bit.

Then I researched on web, and found 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover. 303 did a better job, and lightened the spot more, but spot was still very visible. I used a little brush to work the area too.

Finally, a detailer suggested using WD-40 to remove the spot. He said that a solvent based product would help get out the grease/oil.

WD-40 worked. I tested a small area first to see if WD-40 would stain, but it was fine. I soaked grease/oil spot with WD-40, agitated area with small brush, ragged it up. Then sprayed area with 303 Cleaner, ragged it up. Then went over area with clean damp rag and clean water.

There is no sign of any spot, or area that was cleaned.

Great Info! I guess the WD-40 really breaks down the grease and then the 303 Cleaner brings it up and you soak it out with a rag. It makes sense.

manxman 07-14-2007 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by smeister (Post 157146)
Great Info! I guess the WD-40 really breaks down the grease and then the 303 Cleaner brings it up and you soak it out with a rag. It makes sense.

WD-40 is mostly kerosene as the solvent portion of the formula.

gloryhound 07-27-2007 03:47 PM

hey guys,
i spilled some coffee on the seat of my fit and really want to clean it. so what would be best? 303 cleaner or tuff stuff; or is there a better product?

i keep staring at that spot and it is driving me insane! (coffee was black with some brown sugar)

cc1 07-27-2007 04:15 PM

303 cleaner should be safe imo

Originally Posted by gloryhound (Post 160889)
hey guys,
i spilled some coffee on the seat of my fit and really want to clean it. so what would be best? 303 cleaner or tuff stuff; or is there a better product?

i keep staring at that spot and it is driving me insane! (coffee was black with some brown sugar)

I tried 303 on my seat and it didn't leave a stain from cleaning. 303 didn't work on the grease spot for me, but if I had a coffee stain, I'd try it.... or google "cleaning coffee stains" and see what comes up. Maybe there is a better solution. Never tried Tuff Stuff so no comment on it.

ruby22 01-12-2018 02:25 AM

Hi donnival,

I mostly used Meguiar’s Detailer All Purpose Cleaner to remove stains and dirt of my car seat. This is amazing cleaner works to lift dirt from your car seat,carpet, leather, and vinyl. By using this cleaner on your carpet or car seat it looks new and clean.

Hope you like it.

Kelowna cleaning service

fitchet 01-12-2018 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ruby22 (Post 1390584)
Hi donnival,

I mostly used Meguiar’s Detailer All Purpose Cleaner to remove stains and dirt of my car seat. This is amazing cleaner works to lift dirt from your car seat,carpet, leather, and vinyl. By using this cleaner on your carpet or car seat it looks new and clean.

Hope you like it.

I've made this mistake myself.
But you always want to check the date of the original post, if you are responding to the original post.
This one was originally posted on 04/23/2007.

Not that it's not advice people could probably use today. But I'm guessing the OP's stain is either gone....or pretty well set by now.

To anyone with a similar question, my advice is to always test anything you plan to use in a non-conspicuous place.

And believe it or not? I've had good success with Dollar Tree Spray Carpet Cleaner.