Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY ATF Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by manxman
Amsoil products are not sold in stores. Only through dealers that can be found in your local phone book, or through the Amsoil web site.
I wish I had my camera handy few months back, because on a way to work one morning I passed a very nice TW Fit. It was covered in Amsoil (if I remember correctly) advertising and phone numbers all over the body and windows of the car. He must be their dealer in Bay Area! Driver was in his 50's-60's, gray hair and beard. We both had a big grin when he saw me next to him.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:08 AM
So AMSOIL ATF IS approved for our Fit's??? Just making sure... If so - Im there!!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by SSM0423
So AMSOIL ATF IS approved for our Fit's??? Just making sure... If so - Im there!!!!
Yes--- Amsoil is the only synthetic ATF approved by Honda for all Honda auto trans. vehicles.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
what is the lenght and thread size of the ATF drain bolt
is it 14mm or what..

Old 09-30-2007, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
who knows but if i remember correctly i used a 1/2" breaker bar to remove it? You don't even need a ratchet just a breaker bar.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
who know would be people that replaced it before with like the magnetic ones...i wanted to know thread or length or other spec on it for replacement..

Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by 07fitsport
who know would be people that replaced it before with like the magnetic ones...i wanted to know thread or length or other spec on it for replacement..
The service manual lists 18 x 1.5mm. The original drain plug is already magnetic. The torque spec is 36 lb-ft or 49 N-m. Some others have had a hard time getting the plug off, but mine came off easily.

You might want to replace the automatic transmission fluid before the maintenance minder indicates. Mine didn't show up until 156,000 kilometers (96,600 miles). Mine are mostly highway miles, so others may show up sooner.

I changed to Amsoil - which might be a good thing - or maybe a waste of money. I have no faith in claims of any sort. Like the others, 3 US quarts were needed. Thanks, "leonine", for indicating that the external filter is under the battery tray - I'll replace it on the next ATF change.

On my first change there was a noticeable amount of filings stuck to the magnetic plug. But on the second change, I couldn't really find any.
I'll continue to change it more often than indicated by the maintenance minder - just in case it might help prevent a super expensive breakdown.

I wonder what would be cheaper in the long run - clutches or automatics. I guess that depends on how long you keep the car and how one drives. We will keep this Fit until it stops running.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
any problems with mixing OEM and amsoil ATF?
to be certain, this is the only amsoil ATF i can find:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
is that the honda approved one?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kennef
any problems with mixing OEM and amsoil ATF?
to be certain, this is the only amsoil ATF i can find:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
is that the honda approved one?
Yes, that is the only after-market synthetic ATF approved by Honda. There is no problem in mixing this ATF with what is left in your transmission after draining as much old ATF as possible. You can't drain your own torque converter, and that holds about half of the transmission fluid capacity.

The only downside is that the fluid remaining in your trans. after draining is dirty and oxidized, and by mixing that with new synthetic fluid, the long life potential of the synthetic is somewhat diminished by the old, dirty petrochemical ATF. Even so, the heat resistance and chemical stability of the synthetic that is added to the remaining old ATF will greatly reduce wear, and will drastically improve the trans. performance in your own coldest winter temperatures in DC.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Yes, that is the only after-market synthetic ATF approved by Honda. There is no problem in mixing this ATF with what is left in your transmission after draining as much old ATF as possible. You can't drain your own torque converter, and that holds about half of the transmission fluid capacity.

The only downside is that the fluid remaining in your trans. after draining is dirty and oxidized, and by mixing that with new synthetic fluid, the long life potential of the synthetic is somewhat diminished by the old, dirty petrochemical ATF. Even so, the heat resistance and chemical stability of the synthetic that is added to the remaining old ATF will greatly reduce wear, and will drastically improve the trans. performance in your own coldest winter temperatures in DC.
excellent. i appreciate the help. i love definitive answers. now, who can get the best prices on this ATF, and 4 qts of Amsoil or Redline 5w20, and a mobil1 or KN or amsoil oil filter?

Old 11-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kennef
excellent. i appreciate the help. i love definitive answers. now, who can get the best prices on this ATF, and 4 qts of Amsoil or Redline 5w20, and a mobil1 or KN or amsoil oil filter?
You can only buy Amsoil products directly from Amsoil, or an Amsoil dealer, and you can find one of those either in your phone book or on-line. You can buy Redline lubes at some auto parts stores (their factory is in Martinez, CA, about 60 miles from me). The non-Amsoil filters are also at your local auto parts stores or places like Walmart. You would be much better off using Amsoil engine oil than Redline. The Amsoil stays cleaner longer than Redline. Also, Amsoil's recommended viscosity for the Fit is 0W20, which will give you a noticeable improvement in the coldest winter temps. I use that Amsoil formulation myself year-round, even though it doesn't get nearly as cold here as where you drive.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
I sure miss torque converter drain plugs on Mercedes'es from my Mechanic days! I bet they do not exist in new Mercedes'es any more!
I was tempted to drill and tap a hole in my torque converter, but I did not wont to hit any vanes on the inside!
They change ATF with ATF fluid replacement machines these days!
That means that you can go to a specialized AT shop (NO, not Midas!) and have them do it while you are watching them!

Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ciburri
I sure miss torque converter drain plugs on Mercedes'es from my Mechanic days! I bet they do not exist in new Mercedes'es any more!
I was tempted to drill and tap a hole in my torque converter, but I did not wont to hit any vanes on the inside!
They change ATF with ATF fluid replacement machines these days!
That means that you can go to a specialized AT shop (NO, not Midas!) and have them do it while you are watching them!
Ivan,

That is exactly what I intend to do when I change out my own ATF- have it ALL pumped out at a trans. shop. But the last time (early in this thread) that I brought this up, somebody else replied with a lot of crap about how unnecessary it was. In my opinion, mixing synthetic ATF with dirty oxidized used ATF defeats the purpose of using synthetic.

Anyway, have a good and productive time in L.A.

Dave

Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
FYI - Spoke to a Honda tech today while picking up some ATF and washer for my sis' 2005 Accord V6. I inquired on the torque spec for the drain plug. He indicated 33 lbs for all Honda drain plugs, both oil and ATF.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 AM
From the 2007 Fit Service Manual:

page 8-5 Oil Drain Plug 29 lb-ft and it specifically says "Do not overtighten."
(probably a few lb-ft's don't make any difference - but I stripped the threads on a Honda Odyssey - so I am super cautious about this one. On the other hand, the Odyssey did have really high miles on it.)

page 14-227 ATF Drain Plug 36 lb-ft

page 14-227 ATF Filler Bolt 33 lb-ft

Like others, I found it easier to fill the ATF through the dipstick hole rather than the ATF Filler Bolt. I bought 2 of those funnels with the long extension. I took the extension tube off of one and taped it to the other - then it was long enough to reach the dipstick hole without removing the air cleaner. I taped the funnel to the hood strut so that the ATF could be poured in slowly without spilling. It sort of looks like a blood transfusion.

And yes, it's very dusty - I'm always on gravel roads.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Bump for update.. See initial post update in RED

Old 12-01-2007, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cndfit
From the 2007 Fit Service Manual:

page 8-5 Oil Drain Plug 29 lb-ft and it specifically says "Do not overtighten."
(probably a few lb-ft's don't make any difference - but I stripped the threads on a Honda Odyssey - so I am super cautious about this one. On the other hand, the Odyssey did have really high miles on it.)

page 14-227 ATF Drain Plug 36 lb-ft

page 14-227 ATF Filler Bolt 33 lb-ft

Like others, I found it easier to fill the ATF through the dipstick hole rather than the ATF Filler Bolt. I bought 2 of those funnels with the long extension. I took the extension tube off of one and taped it to the other - then it was long enough to reach the dipstick hole without removing the air cleaner. I taped the funnel to the hood strut so that the ATF could be poured in slowly without spilling. It sort of looks like a blood transfusion.

And yes, it's very dusty - I'm always on gravel roads.
I bought a baster from the 99 cent store and pulled the top off.. Then I stuck the baster into the ATF dipstick hole and that makes it entirely leakproof. Then I would use what you're using to pour it through.. Alternatively, on other cars, I use the long funnel and it suctions into the baster as well for a full seal as you're pouring..

Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
i did my ATF change and had my car at an angle to allow it to drain better, and i put in 3qtrs and i'm still short. I'll be going to get another quart of ATF tomorrow. it's just below the messuring bar.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
i did my ATF change and had my car at an angle to allow it to drain better, and i put in 3qtrs and i'm still short. I'll be going to get another quart of ATF tomorrow. it's just below the messuring bar.
What part of the car do you raise to get better drainage?
(I tried the back - and just got a little more out.)
Thanks

Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cndfit
What part of the car do you raise to get better drainage?
(I tried the back - and just got a little more out.)
Thanks
i jacked up the passenger side first stuck a jack stand under it, then jacked up the driver side to even it out at first. Then I kept jacking up the driver side till the jack didn't go any higher and let it drain towards the passenger side since the drain plug points towards the passenger side it drains that way.

Quick Reply: DIY ATF Change