Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY - Install a Gentex GENK41A Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
Well, it's too thorough in some respects, and not thorough enough in others! Just kidding!

Two questions:

Would you know how much more involved an install of the model with the compass and temp gauge would be, if any? I've gotten used to those functions in my SUV... can't live without them.

Second, can you turn the dimming feature off if you want? I can disable the dimming feature on my SUV mirror if I choose to do so. Believe me... you will find the occasional reason to disable the auto-dimming feature... you'll see what I mean if you've never had auto-dimming before.

I find auto-dimming irritating sometimes around dawn and dusk. It's that in-between dark and light where I find the auto-dimming a little visually restrictive. Or maybe it's only GM's brand of auto-dimming.

Also, I turn it off if I'm in a hurry and need to be aware of my surroundings. In other words, if I can't see cars clearly (cops on the highway) at night, then I may not get to my destination rapidly, without a ticket!

Thanks for the pics and DIY.

UPDATE: Ok, so I only read your post before asking my questions. From reading other posts I guess it's safe to say you can turn the auto-dimming on and off at will. That only leaves the other question which, others may be able to answer, if you can't. Thanks again.
I'm not sure what is involved on the install for the compass. Hopefully kenchan can provide a little info on that since he just installed it. I looked at the model with the temp gauge but decided against it for some reason (can't remember why, I miss having that feature). I looked into the install process for the temp gauge, and if I recall correctly (my memory sucks, so don't quote me on this!), you have to run a wire through the firewall of the car to the lower front grill and hook a sensor on there. If you're comfortable with that, then it shouldn't be too tough to do the install.

And yes, as you read above, the auto-dimming can be turned on and off.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
it's only one more harness with thermalcouple (sp?) that goes into your front bumper.

yes you can disable the auto-dim function.

You beat me to answering guitar_trances question and I didn't notice that we were onto page 2 on this thread now!

PS - Glad the DIY was of some use to you. Great job on your install, looks awesome!

Old 10-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Very, very nice job with the instructions for the Gentex mirror. I have suggested that the folks at Gentex check it out. I was having problems identifying the power wire. No worries after seeing your photos. I made the mistake of not turning the key to position III instead of II. So I was unable to locate the wire with a voltmeter.

Thanks again,

James

Last edited by inertiajim; 10-24-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Question Is it possible...

to tap the power at the map lights and not have to run wires over to the fuse box?

Thanks,
Keith S. :{)>

Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
is it possible to tap the power at the map lights and not have to run wires over to the fuse box?
Sure...but then you might suffer a dead battery if you don't use your Fit for a long time.

Pay me now, pay me later...

Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Any reccomendations on where to mount the temperature sensor in the fit? and the routing of the wiring for the temperature sensor? (I purchased the homelink mirror with temp and compass)

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by k-man
Any reccomendations on where to mount the temperature sensor in the fit? and the routing of the wiring for the temperature sensor? (I purchased the homelink mirror with temp and compass)

FWIW, all the cars I own have the OE temp sending units mounted behind the front bumper...on the radiator support.

Just as a WAG, I'd run the wire under the headliner and A pillar trim, through a grommet on the firewall, and up towards the bumper.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I have installed the one with Compass, Homelink, Temp, Auto Dimmig, and Map Light. Ill post a pic, too.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 PM
My Gentex Mirro with Homelink, Auto Dimming, Compass, Temp, and Maplight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9215441...in/photostream

I don't know how to post pics.

Last edited by xizorian; 01-12-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks very much for the DIY, completed this mod over the weekend. I went with the Gentex 50 which also comes with temperature. This definitely complicates the install but its definitely worth it.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Sorry this might be a very basic question but I see in the instructions you connected the ground wire to the chassis bolt in the car. Next to the pink wire (constant 12v) there is a blue wire, this is from what I can tell using a multimeter a ground wire.

Would it be better to tap the ground wire of the mirror to the blue wire? Or would this be bad?