Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

2 Oil Analysis Results - Factory Break in Oil and Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
2 Oil Analysis Results - Factory Break in Oil and Synthetic

I thought I’d take some time and post up the results of my oil analysis from my 08’ Fit Sport. I got the tests done from Blackstone and I had them run 2 samples. I also combined the results on one form for ease of reading.

The first sample is the factory oil. During the break-in period, I followed the factory recommendation of at least 5,000 miles. I went 5,500 miles with the break-in oil. I found the moly count interesting. It appears that the break in oil has a good dose of moly added to aid in break-in.

The second sample is Amsoil 5w-30. I did not change the oil, I just took a sample. Before taking the sample I checked the oil and I was down a little bit. After 9 months and almost 13,000 miles, I had lost a half of a quart. After taking the sample I topped it off. I plan to re-test @ 17,000. If that sample comes back O.K. I will change the oil at 20,000 miles or at the 1-year mark, whichever comes first.

*I should also note that I’m also using an Amsoil oil filter that has the same time and miles as the oil.

Name:  CombinedOilResults.jpg
Views: 2695
Size:  157.8 KB
After getting these results, my plan is to go to Amsoil 0w-30 and run 1-year intervals regardless of miles.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Awesome, thanks for posting . . . Any reason you didn't get a TBN?

I put some Amsoil 0w20 in about 2 months ago. I'll probably do the same as you - send a sample off in another 4-6 months, just to check on how it's doing. Assuming everything looks fine, keep running it for the full year. Probably only about 10k miles at my current rate - but LOTS of short trips put me in the severe duty column.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Daemione
Awesome, thanks for posting . . . Any reason you didn't get a TBN?.
I hate to say it, but I was cheap and didn't want to spend the extra 20 bucks. I figured the break-in oil would still have an acceptable TBN and I have done enough Amsoil tests with TBN that I'm confident in it holding up. Plus I did add a half of a quart after taking the sample so that will boost the TBN a bit anyway.

I was considering the 0w-20 Amsoil, but because I'm going to be putting almost 20k a year on the Fit, and since the tests revealed both oils were on the low side of the viscosity test, I decided on the 0w-30.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
I can't say I'd worry about 20 weight being too thin in this engine. My worry would be the opposite more than anything.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
SSO, good stuff!

Looks good, Amsoil oil and filters are excellent.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Nice job keeping the factory fill in for 5500 miles. I had to talk myself down to leave it in that long but I'm glad I did. I'm running RLI 5w20 and an Amsoil Ea filter in my Fit. My oil change interval is 15k. I ran a few OA's from Dyson to get a feel for the numbers. I'll probably get one done again once my '07 Fit is over 30k.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 PM
great datapoints

however, aren't you afraid you may void the warranty if an engine repair item comes up?

Personally I think the oil can last a long time, but the manual states (if I recall correctly) that synthetic oil can be used but the oil change interval must follow the maintenance minder.

I apologize if my facts are wrong as I don't have a manual in front of me.

This is the main reason I haven't gone for longer oil change intervals.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Unless he has an extended warranty, he will be passing his 36k warranty within the year anyway, lol.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
this oil change thing is different everytime. the 2 most common things i hear is:

1. change the oil asap since there are/might metal shavings in the oil
2. keep it for at least 5k miles since the original oil has ingredients to help break in

so from this thread, it seems that its smart to leave the oil in for at least 5k miles cuz of the moly count? what does the moly do? can someone explain and give a clear cut answer to what to do? Thanks

Old 08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Fitcious
this oil change thing is different everytime. the 2 most common things i hear is:

1. change the oil asap since there are/might metal shavings in the oil
2. keep it for at least 5k miles since the original oil has ingredients to help break in

so from this thread, it seems that its smart to leave the oil in for at least 5k miles cuz of the moly count? what does the moly do? can someone explain and give a clear cut answer to what to do? Thanks
The Moly is probably from engine assembly lube that mixes into the oil after startup.
As far as the first oil change goes, follow Honda recommendations and don't change it early.
Who do you think knows whats best for your car, the people that built it or random interweb dudes?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I agree that it's probably moly assembly lube. But in general, Honda's engineers seem to like high moly oils and have been arguing against a restriction on moly levels in the upcoming GF-5 oil standard.

Moly is an anti-friction/extreme pressure additive. It forms a sacrificial barrier on lubricated metal parts. It's a great additive that has become more important as evolving oil standards have reduced the levels of ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) in motor oil, which performs much of the same function at a cheaper price.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mozarwasagenius
however, aren't you afraid you may void the warranty if an engine repair item comes up?

Personally I think the oil can last a long time, but the manual states (if I recall correctly) that synthetic oil can be used but the oil change interval must follow the maintenance minder.

I apologize if my facts are wrong as I don't have a manual in front of me.

This is the main reason I haven't gone for longer oil change intervals.
No, not really. As long as the oil analysis is good, then I shouldn't have to worry. If something does happen with the engine, I don't have to supply the dealer with that information. And like another poster stated, I'll be out of my warranty in the next year or so anyway. I'm at 23,xxx now

I don't have the manual in front of my either, but what you say may be in there. Honda isn't going to say how long you can go with synthetic because there are too many oils out there and they all can't go the same amount. Honda has to cover their butts and tell you to follow the maintenance minder.

I just changed the oil the other day and sent in a sample. The oil and filter had 1 year and 17,4xx miles total. I'm getting a TBN readout this time, I'll post the results when I get them. I did switch to the 0w-30 SSO so we'll see how that works out.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, so here is my question I have AMSOil OW-20 full syn with a AMSOil EO filter also, and it has about 5.8k miles on it, I use my car alot and just drove from PA to Texas about 1600 miles, and do I a lot of Auto X with it. Do you guys think I should go for another loop in my oil minder? or should I change my oil (I have 0W-20 AMS Oil/EO filter waiting) ??

B/C not sure I want to get under my car to get the oil analysied.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 PM
You're actually in a very similar situation as me - 5,800 miles on 0w20 amsoil & filter, I put it in mid-march. My usage is as severe as anyone's - no autocross, but almost all stop & go traffic, and my daily commute is only 2 miles. I actually reset my maintenance minder about 500 miles ago when it hit 15%. But I haven't burned a drop, and I have no expectation of needing to change it out this soon.

That said, as soon as I get a chance (this weekend? next? I don't know) I'm going to be sending off a sample to Blackstone to get an analysis w/ TBN to see how it's holding up. But right now I have every confidence that it will last the full 15k miles - or a year, whichever comes first.

I just changed the oil the other day and sent in a sample. The oil and filter had 1 year and 17,4xx miles total. I'm getting a TBN readout this time, I'll post the results when I get them. I did switch to the 0w-30 SSO so we'll see how that works out.
Looking forward to seeing it.

Last edited by Daemione; 08-12-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFlowjoe
Ok, so here is my question I have AMSOil OW-20 full syn with a AMSOil EO filter also, and it has about 5.8k miles on it, I use my car alot and just drove from PA to Texas about 1600 miles, and do I a lot of Auto X with it. Do you guys think I should go for another loop in my oil minder? or should I change my oil (I have 0W-20 AMS Oil/EO filter waiting) ??

B/C not sure I want to get under my car to get the oil analysied.

Daemione, post up your results when you get them, I'm very interested in seeing how the 0w-20 holds up for 15,000+ miles.

FitFlowjoe, I have 2 autocrosses on this last oil change and drive a little over 50 miles a day to work and back. I think when Daemione posts up his results, they should be very close to what you would get. You could make an educated decision based on that.

For my 17,400 mile oil change, I reset the Maintenance Minder 2 times and then again when I changed the oil.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds good, Guys I think I will run the oil up too say 8500 or so and swap it out. just to be on the "safe" side. And to get my money's worth of $9.10 quarts of oil.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Daemione
That said, as soon as I get a chance (this weekend? next? I don't know) I'm going to be sending off a sample to Blackstone to get an analysis w/ TBN to see how it's holding up.
Cool let me know I would really like to see that data. Being an Mech. Engineer and all I just really like this geeky oil analysis stuff.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
oh nice! so honda was not lieing about using coated molybdenum on their cylinder heads on these new motors... i wonder if that break in oil is there to help coat the molybdenum or if its just sheadings of the coat they put on first.