Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   Horn Replacement (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/4786-horn-replacement.html)

HaulSmall 05-03-2006 07:10 PM

Horn Replacement

As much as I love Japanese Automobiles, I think their horns are often really shrill and weak. I'm looking for a replacement for the Fit's horn that will have a deeper, louder tone. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a model or a supplier? :confused:

fitjunkie 05-03-2006 07:43 PM

upgrade your fuse for the horn and swap one out for those 18 wheeler horn, you'll clear your way.....:D :D :D

xorbe 05-03-2006 08:05 PM

arrruuuuuuuuuugaaa!

kentris 05-03-2006 08:09 PM

I hardly ever use my horn, so embarassed by the little road-runner sound.

HaulSmall 05-03-2006 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by fitjunkie
upgrade your fuse for the horn and swap one out for those 18 wheeler horn, you'll clear your way.....:D :D :D

That sounds like the mouse that roared!:D

fitjunkie 05-03-2006 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by HaulSmall
That sounds like the mouse that roared!:D

The Fit that can bite!! Hey that's a marketing idea...:D :D :D

Daņiel 05-04-2006 01:07 PM

I think the horn sounds small for a reason, if you have a big truck horn on a Fit and you hit the horn, everyone would be looking for a truck and not your Fit.

DRum 05-04-2006 03:28 PM

JC Whitney should have what you are looking for.

Spule 4 05-04-2006 06:03 PM

Anyone know if it is one or two wire? If two wire, go to a pull it yourself junkyard and get one from a 1980s Mercedes, it will be good and loud.

HaulSmall 05-04-2006 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Daņiel
I think the horn sounds small for a reason, if you have a big truck horn on a Fit and you hit the horn, everyone would be looking for a truck and not your Fit.

No, I'm not looking for a truck sound. Spule 4's Mercedes suggestion is about the kind of sound I'm looking for.

dartvader 05-04-2006 08:01 PM

except in a real emergency or maybe a light tap when the guy in front of you is dozing at the green light, only jerks use horns. want your mother in law to come out of the house? get out and ring the door bell. stuck in traffic? turn up your stereo and chill out. personally i think horns should be hooked up with electrodes to your nipples!

Spule 4 05-04-2006 08:43 PM

True on only use in emergencies, but you have to be heard in all situations and speeds. I was spoiled as my first cars I drove in life were Euorpean spec that had dual horns for city and country. Horns are part of safety and crash avoidance.

Spule 4 05-04-2006 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by HaulSmall
No, I'm not looking for a truck sound. Spule 4's Mercedes suggestion is about the kind of sound I'm looking for.

If you do not wish to go to a yard, you can buy new:

http://www.autobarn.net/twinsuphorki.html

I think they can be found cheaper elsewhere.

And if you do buy used ones and they do not work, you can fix them:

http://www2.lut.fi/~hosia/horns.html

The 6 and 1960s/70s 12V ones are the same repair, they will have the voltage listed on the outside. Better, look for a Mercedes W123 W126 car (280E, 300D, 240D, 380SE/L, 500SE/L) for newer ones that seem to last longer and have a good sound. BMW might be the same, I don't know I never owned one.

HaulSmall 05-04-2006 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dartvader
except in a real emergency or maybe a light tap when the guy in front of you is dozing at the green light, only jerks use horns. want your mother in law to come out of the house? get out and ring the door bell. stuck in traffic? turn up your stereo and chill out. personally i think horns should be hooked up with electrodes to your nipples!

I agree, horns are best left for emergency use. A few years back I was passing a semi on the interstate in the right lane (he was in the left) when he decided to change lanes into my lane as I was abreast of the cab. I layed on the horn in my 95 Corolla, but he didn't hear me at all. Luckily, the shoulder was wide and clear, as that's where I ended up, running along side him. The next day I went out and bought a good, louder aftermarket horn and threw the Toyota one away. I want to avoid such occurrences in the future, so I want that louder horn available for my Fit. (Supposed to come in at the end of May).

covrc 05-04-2006 10:04 PM

I agree 100% a louder horn is essential for safety reasons alone.

If I have to use it, it's for a reason and it is not because I have lost control of my emotions and am flipping somebody off.

Louder saves lives.

Rocco

Tom_Horns 05-05-2006 08:45 AM

Horn Button Placement

My old Civic has buttons on the side of the wheel. A real pain when I have to hit the horn fast because some idiot decides to change lanes without looking. I just want to be able to hit the center of the wheel to honk. Where is the Fit's horn button? :confused:

covrc 05-05-2006 08:53 AM

The horn is right in the center of the wheel. Very large and easy to use.

RC

DRum 05-05-2006 09:28 AM

How about a horn that plays la cucaracha?

BKKJack 05-05-2006 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_Horns
My old Civic has buttons on the side of the wheel. A real pain when I have to hit the horn fast because some idiot decides to change lanes without looking. I just want to be able to hit the center of the wheel to honk. Where is the Fit's horn button? :confused:

How old is your Civic? My 81 had those! I solved that problem by replacing it with a nice Momo with the horn button right in the center, where it belongs.

dougiepants 05-06-2006 07:23 PM

Do the big ugly orange and red ones the Subaru guys do... lol