Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   AC Button Light Replacement? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/60360-ac-button-light-replacement.html)

anomancer 11-02-2010 02:24 PM

AC Button Light Replacement?

Hello everyone,

The light on the A/C button of my 2007 Fit Sport has stopped turning on. This is the light that actually says "A/C", not the green indicator light that tells you whether the air conditioning is on or not.

My local Honda dealer confirmed that the bulb is out and wanted almost $70 in labor to replace it. I looked at the service manual, which had procedures on taking out the AC button. It then helpfully said "replace bulb if needed" without providing any further details such as part numbers, where the bulb is located, etc.

I wanted to take it apart and see the bulb for myself. When I flipped open the Honda manual though, it seemed like a lot of disassembly was required to get to it, including removing the glove box and the entire center panel.

It didn't look too difficult, but it might be a pain and I don't want to do it unless I know that I can replace the bulb and also that such steps are necessary to get to it. I would feel silly if all I needed to do was pry the button off or something like that.

I have two questions that I'd like to ask all of you fitfreaks out there:

1) Anybody know how to get a replacement bulb for the A/C button (part number, vendors etc.)?

2) Is removing the glove box and center panel really necessary? The service manual said that I needed to disconnect the battery and a lot of other items along the way. Is that also a requirement in your experience?

It's a lame problem to solve...one that I could definitely live with. It's just kind of sad to see that dark spot there when driving at night with the rest of the panel lit up.

Thanks a lot for your help!

koolkevin1107 11-02-2010 04:06 PM

I can answer this for you...

1) The bulb for the AC button can be replaced, but it is not easy. There is no part number because the bulbs is TINY. But I am telling you that the bulb is not something pep-boys/kragen/autozone carries. You would have to order it from www.autolumination.com or ebay.

2) The removal of all that crap is necessary. The reason is because you have to remove the whole radio in order to get the buttons out. Unlike the hazard button that can be pushed out from the back, this one is clipped in there nice and tight so it is difficult to remove. You would have to drop the lower dash cover, glovebox, and radio. The glove box has to be removed to disconnect the A/C cables because they are located under it. Even though it is easy to do, if you have never done any of this kind of disassembly before you will struggle.

Battery disconnection is not a must but RECOMMENDED because you will be disconnecting plugs for the airbag and if you don't have this plug back in, it will trigger an airbag light on your dash. The only thing you would need when you disconnect the battery is your radio code, usually found in your owners manual or on a sticker in the glovebox.

Good luck!

anomancer 11-02-2010 04:24 PM

@ KoolKevin1107:

Thanks for the detailed response! I figured that if they were charging that much for labor, it would probably be a laborious process. I can probably talk the dealership into ordering the bulb for me (he said it was about $12...which I guess might be worth the premium to know that it is the right thing). I'll just have to think about whether I want to try to install it myself or not.

I haven't done this type of thing before, but it doesn't seem too difficult...just a lot of disconnecting. I think if I am very careful and label each pin carefully while disconnecting, it should be okay. It looks like I won't need anything more than a screwdriver and lots of care. The only part I am not sure of is how the light bulb actually comes out of the pan A/C and defogger switch. The service manual looks like they just slide in to holes on the top and bottom of the switch. Do you happen to know?

Also, another part that was not clear to me is the disconnection of the air mix control cable, recirculation control cable and mode control cable. In the manual they look like loops at the end of a cable that simply hook over a lever of sorts. Is it as easy as that?

If I do embark on this journey, I'll try to make a DIY of it, since the various parts to be removed are probably common for other purposes.

If anybody else has any additional tips, I would be grateful to hear them!

koolkevin1107 11-05-2010 09:19 PM

Thanks for the detailed response! I figured that if they were charging that much for labor, it would probably be a laborious process. I can probably talk the dealership into ordering the bulb for me (he said it was about $12...which I guess might be worth the premium to know that it is the right thing). I'll just have to think about whether I want to try to install it myself or not.

Why not, at least you know it's the right one.

I haven't done this type of thing before, but it doesn't seem too difficult...just a lot of disconnecting. I think if I am very careful and label each pin carefully while disconnecting, it should be okay. It looks like I won't need anything more than a screwdriver and lots of care. The only part I am not sure of is how the light bulb actually comes out of the pan A/C and defogger switch. The service manual looks like they just slide in to holes on the top and bottom of the switch. Do you happen to know?

You are correct. they just twist off from the top and you put the new one in.

You won't need any pin removals, just harness disconnects.

Also, another part that was not clear to me is the disconnection of the air mix control cable, recirculation control cable and mode control cable. In the manual they look like loops at the end of a cable that simply hook over a lever of sorts. Is it as easy as that?

You are also correct. Have you ever seen a bike brake/shifter cable? It looks like that, except it has a round hook at the end of it.

Two of the cables sheaths (outer part) are clipped, and the cables are just looped over plastic pins. The third one has a metal bar on it and requires a screwdriver.

Before you remove the sheaths from the clips, mark with a sharpie where they sit so you can put them back in the EXACT same location.

NOTE: REMEMBER THE POSITION OF THE A/C CONTROLS BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE LINE! I RECOMMEND TURNING THE KNOBS ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT. THAT WAY YOU WON'T HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE POSITIONS OF THE CABLES!

If I do embark on this journey, I'll try to make a DIY of it, since the various parts to be removed are probably common for other purposes.

Street Educated EM1 11-08-2010 04:11 PM

Yes do a write up, I know its small but it is so annoying that my light is out....

anomancer 11-09-2010 03:17 PM

@ Street Educated EM1:

I'm glad it's not just me. The fact that this happened so early did put a slight dent in my impression of Honda's legendary reliability.

Unfortunately the car dealer was not able to get it in before I had to leave town. I won't be back until late December, so you will have to stay tuned for a while to get the write up. I will make sure to get the writeup on here once I am able to successfully replace the bulb!

Occam 11-09-2010 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by anomancer (Post 928426)
@ KoolKevin1107:

One of the first things I noticed about the Fit is that they saves money by having hard mechanical connectinos rather than electronic controls for the A/C air mix and moode control, as well as the recirc/fresh switch. I suppose it'll save the trouble of ever having a servo go out, but my Accord (92) had these same type of controls - the plastic knobs eventually gave out and cracked.

Being the cheapskate that I am, i repaired the knob using string, toiletpaper, and superglue to make a sort of crazy-hard paper mache.

anomancer 03-11-2011 09:10 AM

Hello everyone,

A quick update: I am temporarily separated from my spouse and our Fit as I finish up school, so I haven't been able to fix it yet. It might be a few months before I get around to it, but I will post on here when it happens. Thanks for your patience!

randomrikki 04-28-2013 09:22 AM

I too couldnt take the A/C Backlight light being out on my 08 Sport. So I ordered both bulbs as I was going to be in there anyway I wanted to replace both. I knew my luck would be as soon as I replaced the one the other would burn out the next day. So $22 later for both bulbs I decided I could do this.

I wont type out all the fun it was to remove the stereo and heater controls. There is a video on you tube that will show you exactly how to do that. The video is for installing an ipod kit but it gets the stereo out.
You get the idea.

When I removed the lower cover under the heater controls these two random clear plastic pieces came flying out and had no idea where they came from. I searched all the diagrams on Honda and still could not find them. After trial and error and some ebaying I found that they are light diffusers that attach to the lower cover under the heater controls. When you look up at the cover you will see the screw in the middle of two indentations. That is where light comes down to light the console area. That is where the diffusers go.

When I got the stereo all removed and pulled the button housing for the A/C light and rear defrost from the harness of the heater control the A/C light bulb fell right out in my hand. So was it burnt out or had it worked its self out over the years?? Likely had worked its self out, I didnt take a chance and went ahead and put in my $22 worth of bulbs.

Another side note, the next morning when it was dark the lights behind the mode selector were not working. I pulled the cover back off the bottom (in this process I scratched the hell out if it with my hook) and made sure the wiring harness to the heater control was in there firm. When I pushed on it it clicked, and that fixed that lighting issue.. Apparently it got a bit loose in the shuffling.

Overall a pretty simple project and now ALL of the lights on the dash work as they should!!

Johnathan Gower 01-04-2015 01:59 AM

Fragile Lights Fragile Electrical System?

I purchased my Honda Fit about 8 months ago and despite the fact that the car was six years old, I figured being a Honda, it would still be trouble free (60,000 miles on the odo). I was surprised when the Radio display was wonky and not readable during the day. At night it could be seen, but the radio itself didn't work properly. No worries, I figured I'd be putting a better stereo in . . . one that played MP3/WMA files, had an aux input, a USB input, etc. I wanted one with sat nav too, but couldn't stomach the price. Anyway, I got a stereo that did everything I needed (with blue tooth too), and wired in a 10" sub for the hatch area as well. Installation was a bit of a bear, but not too bad (much easier than a 2002 Hyundai Accent I once owned). However, I was un-pleasantly surprised when I put everything back together, the AC button light (including the green light) and the Hazard button light quit working. The Hazards still work as does the AC, just the lights don't work any longer. I am assuming that the tiny bulbs just couldn't their buttons being popped out and in again (despite the fact that I was extremely gentle with them). I've already taken the stereo out twice (forgot to plug in the mic for the blu tooth...oops) and don't really want to go there again any time soon...almost lost one of the metal clips last time (they really should include a few extras with stereo install kits!). Buuuuuttttt then, if these two tiny gripes weren't enough, my power plug quits. The fuze is good. The devices I use work in other vehicles, so I guess the plug is bad. Hmmm. This seems a simple plug and play replacement . . . but still . . . it's a six year old Honda! A Honda! Did I mention this was a Honda? There's really no point in venting or complaining. I am concerned, however, about the electricals in this car. Hondas aren't known for electrical difficulties, are they (like VWs and Audis are)? I've owned other cars that began having electrical issues, dash lights flickering and going out, power outlets shorting, etc . . . but that's not usually until around 250,000 to 300,000 miles. Are electrical issues common in Hondas or in the first generation Fit? This is my first Honda.

Wage Slave 01-17-2015 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by anomancer (Post 928426)

Have a look here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...backlight.html

I didn't need to disconnect the AC controls or airbag or battery. The center console coame out plenty far enough for the job without all that.

derder200 01-01-2023 07:35 PM

my 12v outlet died, on which i ran an inverter and charged my phone as well as powered a bluetooth aux adapter. the 12v outlet quit working, checked the fuse? fine. so i figured it was the port and that now is a fine time to upgrade the radio so i dont need to use a BT adapter. also ordered another 12v port from amazon, replaced it and that works again. it was the outlet, not the fuse. i wonder why it just crapped out? i kept my inverter plugged in, so its not like i was pushin and pullin on it all the time..

IanF 12-30-2023 04:10 PM

Watch the Indian guy on YouTube, he replaces the a/C button globe in less than a minute with no tools.