Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   My heater not heating enough.. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/63067-my-heater-not-heating-enough.html)

mfs_axis 02-27-2011 08:22 AM

My heater not heating enough..

hello guys... i'm from mongolia and it's winter time... about -4F...
and the problem is my heater not heating enough... when i switch to 4 then the heater comes more heated and more noise... 3 2 1 are not even close to warm... what should i do? and another one is that i can't find a hole in my car but there is some kind of wind blowing... it's cold outside and inside of my car... WTF wind blowing you might say... but yes it is... i've searched but never found it... i think it's from the rear but have no clue... so HELP ME GUYS...

thanks

mfs_axis 02-27-2011 08:27 AM

oh and my fit is 03 stock... :P on my avatar :D

Perrenoud Fit 02-27-2011 08:54 AM

if everything is working as designed I have seen truckers here in the states block off part of their radiator W/ cardboard for less air flow for warmer air. it's a quick fix.
WOW Mongolia how is Mongolia these day?
Welcome to FF's my frozen brother.
Mike

mfs_axis 02-27-2011 09:14 AM

haha thank you for your invitation...
it's the same as always... i've been in USA tennesee on last summer and i like it :P...
now let's get to the problem... then how do i fix this? really don't know how to... if you have a pic or something that i could fix it then tell me... do i have to change my radiator or something?

Krimson_Cardnal 02-27-2011 09:22 AM

I'm thinking you're needing to get that rear wheel bearing fixed first. By then it'll be spring lol

One of the first things to check is the coolant level. If it is low it can effect how much heat the heater core will produce. the Fit can take time to fully warm up inside. The most effective way is to drive it and keep the air flow selector on recirculate.

mfs_axis 02-27-2011 09:26 AM

the coolant is full though... i've checked it... if turn it to recirculate then it makes my windows fogged... can't see enough outside :P... so there is some prob with it or not?

Krimson_Cardnal 02-27-2011 09:42 AM

Not sure - what you say makes sense. It could simply be the -4F temp. I've only driven in that cold once here in NY and it did take a while to warm up the inside of the car, but that was by driving. Sitting still there is no air flow through the car and the fan tries hard to do the job.

mfs_axis 02-27-2011 09:46 AM

it's getting better at -4F... it was -25F ... it's cold in mongolia... in the spring it get's mutch better... in the summer burns... so there is nothing more that i could do huh?

Brain Champagne 02-27-2011 10:25 AM

I haven't had to turn my fan all the way up to 4 because it hasn't been that cold that much here since I got my car 3 months ago. But it can take 20 minutes before the car is warm. Remember, first the engine has to get warm, and warm up all the antifreeze. Then as the air blows through it has to heat up everything it blows through on its way to the passenger compartment. Everything it passes takes some of the heat away on its way to your feet.

How long are you driving? (time per trip, I mean)

Perrenoud Fit 02-27-2011 11:56 AM

easy Fit Fix GL

http://derfotohof.net/autos/mini/arc...ozen_front.jpg Less -4F air through the radiator = more heat in your car :D

Could also be the thermostat is stuck open.

DOHCtor 02-27-2011 12:26 PM

Here in Quebec, we see temperatures in the 0°f range! Guess what? According to my scangauge, my maximum ECT was at 147°f yesterday.... Needless to say it didn't get warm in the car!!

Marko!!

Krimson_Cardnal 02-27-2011 01:35 PM

ECT means?????

DiamondStarMonsters 02-27-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 966247)
ECT means?????

Engine Coolant Temperature :)

naMtiF 02-27-2011 05:42 PM

OP,

How did it work last winter?
Did it do the same thing or is this the first winter with the Fit?

Do you drive longer than 30 mi. / 48 km and still no warm air?

Later,
Clay

spreadhead 02-27-2011 07:00 PM

It's been almost five years since I've had my Fit. It's heater has never failed to heat the car to a comfortable temperature, even in sub zero weather. My Scangauge shows an ECT of 170*F+, even in sub zero weather. You must have a problem, low coolant, bad thermostat, bad water pump, clogged heater core, or another problem.

mfs_axis 02-27-2011 07:26 PM

Wow... had gone to sleep and woke up and there is a lot of post :P...

Okay this is the situation

first i bought this car on October and it's a second hand car... 130000 had gone :D
and i drive it like 1-2 hours... i always warm the car about 10-20 mins and still no luck with it... maybe the thermostat , water pumb, or another problem... it's just not heating up...
oh there is a question... on the back of the car is there any blower there?

naMtiF 02-27-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mfs_axis (Post 966362)
Wow... had gone to sleep and woke up and there is a lot of post :P...

Okay this is the situation

first i bought this car on October and it's a second hand car... 130000 had gone :D
and i drive it like 1-2 hours... i always warm the car about 10-20 mins and still no luck with it... maybe the thermostat , water pumb, or another problem... it's just not heating up...
oh there is a question... on the back of the car is there any blower there?

I am not aware of anything motor like in the rear half of the Fits.
Not sure where the gas tank is placed on your specific model but if it is in the rear then the only thing mechanical would be the fuel pump in the rear.

If it does sound like wind then it may be either the rear door or hatch rubber seals. I would look at them and see if they are cracked or compressed too much.

In regards to the heater issue, since you bought it second hand and no other winter time usage to compare it too then I would start with general troubleshooting for the heating system.
1. Verify coolant level in radiator and overflow tank and that there are no air pockets trapped.
2. Make sure there is an actual thermostat installed. ( some people remove them) - doubt someone did this in Mongolia though
3. Verify that the thermostat is not stuck open. - Unsure if your year Fit has a temp gauge on the dashboard, so you can verify the tstat is stuck open by feeling the upper radiator hose right when you start a cold engine. If you feel any fluid going through it then it is stuck open. Fluid won't pass through the upper hose until the thermostat is opened at operating temperature.
4. Heater core is clogged with crud from using shitty water in the radiator. - a flush of the system may work if it is not too bad bust may need to replace heater core ( its a bitch)

there may be a few more items to check that others can chime in about.

BTW - your water pump should be fine because if it stopped working and you are still driving it then you would be replacing your engine by now.

good luck.

Clay

kbri 02-27-2011 08:44 PM

No blower in rear, but there is an outlet vent designed to let air out of the cabin so the fan can blow more air in up front. To get at it, you have to remove the left plastic panel that forms the side of the trunk space. There is a rubber flap that is supposed to close this off, but you never know what may have happened before you got the car.... If you remove the access panel in the rear corner (like you were changing a tail light bulb) you may be able to cleverly angle a small mirror to visually check. On this diagram: Enlarged Image the vent assembly is #35. The diagram is a little confusing, since it shows the outer panel of the body, but it does get the height correct - just about even with the fuel filler door. It is made of black plastic.

A thought: If the wheel well liner is damaged or missing, the wheel will throw air up towards the air outlet, acting like a fan and pushing cold air into the cabin. Just look upwards inside the rear left wheel arch. Also, this piece covers and protects the fuel filler hose.

A quick diagnostic with no tools: After the car is thoroughly warmed up, open the hood and grab the upper radiator hose. It should feel warm like bath water. Now follow the hose to where it meets the engine, and feel the metal of the engine just below the hose. If it's not noticeably warmer, your thermostat is definitely stuck open.

mfs_axis 02-27-2011 09:12 PM

ok thank you guys... i'll check them all... and post later... now i'm @ work can't go out :P... you guys really helped me a lot...

mfs_axis 02-27-2011 09:42 PM

Another PROB!!!

http://versusauto.com/guyshop//catal...k2000Black.jpg

How do i change the number plate light... you know it's located in the back :P... one of light is gone blfff... can't take off the light cover thingy :D... HELP GUYS please :P
and this is not my car :P it's much more cleaner than mine... and not frozen :))