Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   Rock Chips-----what to do? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/70450-rock-chips-what-do.html)

littleblackcar 02-27-2012 09:25 AM

Rock Chips-----what to do?

I need advice on how to deal with rock chips on my hood. Please weigh in with your opinions and suggestions! By the way, my car is black.....:(
Thanks!

2012FitFan 02-27-2012 09:30 AM

If they aren't bigger than day, I wouldn't mess with them. You could always use tough up paint, but that will show up as well.

Speedlimitz 02-27-2012 09:57 AM

Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Seems like they have good reviews, I guess it works better on darker colors then light colors

mhadden 02-27-2012 02:12 PM

Painters tape, touch-up paint, toothpicks, sandpaper, and a whole lot of patience can go a long way in making those chips look good again.

But in reality, unless you have time to kill, just using a touch-up pen from Honda or where ever can make a huge difference for not much time. Just make sure the chips are cleaned of any dirt and rust.

StormSurfer 02-27-2012 02:30 PM

Rock chips on black cars is ALWAYS a problem.I like black cars but you will see all defects on the paint easy.Just try not to drive close to the front car in the highway.Also a touch -up paint is a good idea.I have one.Also you can buy a OEM bra from Honda or a clear 3M bra.But remember...Rock chips always happen.We all live with them everyday or not.

Funkster 02-28-2012 07:43 PM

The Dr. Colorchip system really is amongst the best. I have filled hundred of chips, etc using it.

Fit4Spl 02-28-2012 09:59 PM

An alternative to clear bra is Plasti-Dip spray, you can find all sorts of videos on youtube, basically it will give you a coating you can peel off with no ill effects to the paint. Cost is around $6 a spray can.

GTRPLYR 02-29-2012 02:10 AM

I had a rock chip 2 weeks after I bought my car so I know the feeling. Bought some Honda touch up paint and used a toothpick to drop the paint over the chipped area. It didn't do much more than cover the bare metal and sticks out if you look at it since it just doesn't have the gloss as the rest of the hood does.

Also after several attempts at applying the paint I just couldn't get a smooth appearance. But it is protecting the chipped area from rust and when it's got a coat of dirt over it I can hardly tell it's there anymore :D

mhadden 02-29-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fit4Spl (Post 1078616)
An alternative to clear bra is Plasti-Dip spray, you can find all sorts of videos on youtube, basically it will give you a coating you can peel off with no ill effects to the paint. Cost is around $6 a spray can.

An alternative is Road Warrior Paint Protection - it rolls on and dries and can be peeled off - it's essentially identical to the protection that comes on some cars for shipping protection.

http://wingstuff.com/products/24710-...?sitesync=done

I used it when I had my Wing and loved it!

adolan21 03-19-2012 09:16 AM

I ordered some Dr. Colorchip for my car and will post before and after pictures if you're interested.

Speedlimitz 03-19-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by adolan21 (Post 1083938)
I ordered some Dr. Colorchip for my car and will post before and after pictures if you're interested.

Post before and after and maybe a review on how easy/ hard it was to use .

littleblackcar 03-19-2012 10:17 AM

Yes, pics would be great!

Classyfit9820 11-12-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mhadden (Post 1078738)
An alternative is Road Warrior Paint Protection - it rolls on and dries and can be peeled off - it's essentially identical to the protection that comes on some cars for shipping protection.

Roll On Paint Protection - Honda Gold Wing Parts & Accessories by WingStuff.com

I used it when I had my Wing and loved it!

In your experience, would you say that plastiDip is inferior to this? Would this Road Warrior Paint Protection better protect the paint?

Rampo 11-12-2013 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've used the Magnetbra on my last two black cars. It provides good protection at the vulnerable front portion of the hood.

Attachment 17038

hatchpat 11-13-2013 04:23 AM

Sharpie and some clear nail polish!!

kenchan 11-25-2013 12:36 PM

yah, just touch it up. if it gets real bad how about black vinyl wrap since your car is black. :)

AZ_HondaFamily 11-25-2013 01:27 PM

wow that looks really nice too, Rampo! thanks for the link

luismycorreo 09-13-2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rampo (Post 1210550)
I've used the Magnetbra on my last two black cars. It provides good protection at the vulnerable front portion of the hood.

Rampo, I need your advice, is easy to install the magnetbra??? I saw the install guide in their website and says that needs 10 min under the sun??? What happen in the winter here in Montreal some days will be -30C, I know you have cold winters too so your comments will help me to take a decission.

Luis
Honda Fit Sport 2013 - Vortex Blue Pearl

Rampo 09-13-2014 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by luismycorreo (Post 1263452)
Rampo, I need your advice, is easy to install the magnetbra??? I saw the install guide in their website and says that needs 10 min under the sun??? What happen in the winter here in Montreal some days will be -30C, I know you have cold winters too so your comments will help me to take a decission.

Luis
Honda Fit Sport 2013 - Vortex Blue Pearl

Luis,
Just sent you a pm.
Rampo