Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

oil/gas smell after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
oil/gas smell after oil change

The last two times, after i changed my oil, I noticed that my car has this horrible gas/oil burning smell when I start it. There's normally the smell in general but it's much more noticable after an oil change. What do you think is wrong? You should'nt have this smell in a normal working car.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Do you do your own oil changes or do you have someone else do it for you?
It's probably spilled oil that's being burned off.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
i do my own and i'm sure no oil was spilled. I use a funnel.
the last time it had the smell for months.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
what about when taking out the drain plug and filter? clean up all the oil there?
I haven't had to change my oil yet, so I don't actually know if it even makes a mess when removing those. But let me tell you....on K-series engine, BIG mess from the filter!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i wiped down the plug and cleaned the area up well.
There was a little oil dripped to the side near the filter but i cleaned that up too. I didn't know the little oil that could be left near the filter could burn and cause the smell. I thought it was coming from my muffler.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
You might have an oil leak. Is their less oil when you change it or no?

It could be leaking from somewhere up top or something, so when you run it, and the oil circulates, it leaks from the top and burns away when it hits the exhaust manifold or something.

Just a possibility.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
When I do an oil change it does get messy and I get oil around the filter housing and a little around the oil drain bolt but it usually cleans up easy. I just did a change and haven't smelled anything.

That area does get hot but I would think there would need to be excessive oil for it to smell.

You could have an oil leak that is seeping onto a really hot surface like ikutoisahobo said. I don't know why it would be smelling for months though unless you have a gradual leak and its burning constantly.

How old and how many miles on your car?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
When I do an oil change it does get messy and I get oil around the filter housing and a little around the oil drain bolt but it usually cleans up easy. I just did a change and haven't smelled anything.

That area does get hot but I would think there would need to be excessive oil for it to smell.

You could have an oil leak that is seeping onto a really hot surface like ikutoisahobo said. I don't know why it would be smelling for months though unless you have a gradual leak and its burning constantly.

How old and how many miles on your car?
80k.. 07 fit
i cleane dit up good.. i can't tell if it's oil or gas... it may be gas I see no visible leak.. after oil change.. it sure does feel like i have less oil.. filled maybe half the 5 quarter jug.. i put about 4 quarts plus in... so i'm loing oil somewhere but it's not leaking in driveway

Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
The specifications for an oil change with new filter are only 3.8 quarts. I hope your not putting over 4 quarts in there. Be careful not to overfill the engine!

Extra oil in the crankcase could cause air bubbles in the oil which is very bad. Your motor could be burning that extra oil in places it shouldn't be.

And since you said you've been smelling it for months, maybe you've been burning that extra oil over time and overfilling the engine each time you do an oil change. Check the dipstick, oil level should be between min and max marks, nothing higher than max.

Last edited by Fitguy07; 07-18-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Another thing you may want to check for is a cylinder that is filling with fuel but no spark to ignite it. So to put in more simple terms, you maybe running on 3 cylinders. I had a EG Civic coupe with a B16B engine. I drove it 200 miles from Wilmington to Charlotte. There was a heavy smell of oils/gas, reduced power, and mpg. Come to find out, one of the spark plug wires was pulled from the distributor cap. In the L15, there is no distributor so if not a loose wire to a coil pack, it could be a bad coil pack.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:17 PM
Hi Bill,

I also have a 2019 Fit (CVT) and suspect oil dilution issues. I have catch can installed and have nearly 12,000 miles on my Fit. I have emptied the catch can 3-4 times. Each time I empty it there is a strong gasoline odor (more so than oil) and the actual color of the waste product is lighter than what I would expect it to be. Unfortunately I have yet to change my own oil (the dealer has done the first 2 changes), so I do not have a large sample from the oil pan to sniff; I will probably do my own oil change next time just so I can collect a sample. However, I wanted to ask you if you ever smell gassy fumes inside your car, particullarly while it is idling for a period of 10 minutes or so. Lately, both myself and my wife have become keenly aware of this and I am concerned. It has gotten so bad that I popped my hood to make sure my catch can install was not leaking anywhere (it is not). The odor I am smelling inside the car is similar to that of the contents of the catch can itself (gassy burnoff). I live in Ohio, and the temperatures have been cold recently (hovering around 20 or less--tomorrow a high of 1 degree). Anyhow, I am starting to believe that the Honda's oil dilution problem extends beyond the CRV and civic. I will keep an eye on my oil level as well and will report back if I notice an increase. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

-B