Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/8534-c-defrost-mode-questions-answers-solutions.html)

htewam 06-05-2006 03:20 PM

A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions

The last couple of cars I've had required you to actually turn the AC ON if you wanted to defrost more quickly... but they left you with the option of running air through the defrost vents WITHOUT actually running the AC (more fuel efficient).

The NA FIT appears to ALWAYS turn the AC on when you move the dial to one of the defrost settings. I'm betting that it wouldn't be hard to disconnect the line that triggers the AC (giving you the option of cycling the AC or not using the normal AC switch) but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this. I haven't checked out the service manual yet but how easy is it to get access to the back of the AC & Vent switches?

b17gsr 06-05-2006 04:24 PM

I'll be searching too once I get my service manual and my Fit.

gsilvers 06-05-2006 04:28 PM

If you guys find it could you post a wiring diagram (relay or back of the HVAC) doesnt bother me any. I have had to do this to two cars. I hate going into slow mode just to get a tiny bit of mist off the windshield.

kennyt 06-05-2006 04:30 PM

Does the AC light turn on when you turn it to defrost ?
Cuz I tried it in mine and the AC light wasn't on.. I know in the new civics, the AC turns on.

Honda has this funky code that they program into their cars to turn off the AC/Defrost mode. I'll try it when I get home. It worked when I did it in my friend's civic

can anyone confirm this?

gsilvers 06-05-2006 04:40 PM

My light remains off. I can however hear the compressor kick in. It may not be using this code but it is engaging the compressor pulley clutch.

phil_qc 06-05-2006 04:45 PM

there is a code procedure (on Civic and CR_V)...
(like turn this on and click this off before starting the car)

But, I don't know the code... Any honda service guy on
the forum ???

Philippe

SheepNutz 06-05-2006 05:18 PM

I think the owners manual says that if your AC wasn't on before, then the AC light wouldn't come on, but the AC will still be running with the defrost.

kennyt 06-05-2006 05:23 PM

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4429

seems to go into some detail about the process

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa..._item_id=26225

has it as well

kkim 06-27-2006 10:08 PM

A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions

I've been experimenting with how the a/c affects gas mileage, have been turning the a/c off with the button and thought I would see an improvement, but have been rewarded with only very minimal increases in MPG.

To my surprise, I have found out that the a/c does not turn off when you have either of the defroster positions selected on the dial, even if you have the a/c button turned off. :mad:

Does everyone elses FIT operate the same way and if so, why would Honda make it so the a/c runs even with the button off? Is there a simple way to defeat this other than turning the fan to the off position? :confused:

Just be aware... if you think you have the a/c off and have the mode selector in either of the defroster positions, the a/c is not turned off even if the a/c button has been selected off (not lit).

Bengo 06-27-2006 10:11 PM

Normaly the AC turns on during Defrost in order to help pull moister out of the air in the car. This helps the car defrost faster.

~Bengo

Fit For A Queen 06-27-2006 10:47 PM

Yeah..doesn't the dial even say for the defrost modes to "Use with A/C" or something?
But that's interesting that it does it automagically... I haven't had to use defrost yet..

But yeah..always use A/C with defrost..works about 300x better.

DewaltDakota 06-27-2006 10:47 PM

Yep... what Bengo said. It's been a long time since I've seen a car that didn't automatically turn on the A/C compressor, when you set the mixer to defrost. It's the only way to get the humidity out of the air and thus defrost/defog the windows.

kkim 06-27-2006 11:37 PM

I fully understand that the defroster works much better with the a/c on, but how hard would it have been to either have the a/c button light up while in that mode or even let you select if you want it on or not?

It's not always that you want the a/c on when in that mode.... seems Honda seems to think they know what's better for you instead of letting you have a choice, which as it stands, you don't.

Anyway, the point of my post was to alert other owners of this oddity and if they think they are traveling with the a/c off to improve their gas mileage while in this mode, the aren't.

kingdlx 06-28-2006 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by kkim
I fully understand that the defroster works much better with the a/c on, but how hard would it have been to either have the a/c button light up while in that mode or even let you select if you want it on or not?

It's not always that you want the a/c on when in that mode.... seems Honda seems to think they know what's better for you instead of letting you have a choice, which as it stands, you don't.

Anyway, the point of my post was to alert other owners of this oddity and if they think they are traveling with the a/c off to improve their gas mileage while in this mode, the aren't.

It's not an oddity most cars do this.

BKKJack 06-28-2006 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by kingdlx
It's not an oddity most cars do this.

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH. I hate that. Why can't the manufacturers just leave me to decide if I want to turn the A/C on to defrost. I know how works and what it is supposed to do, but I also know that eventually you are going to end up with condensation on the outside of your windshield. I was so excited when I saw pictures of the dash with the separate A/C button. I was thinking they had completely segregated the A/C activation from the system, and left it to my discretion. Now this.:mad: Transmissions and climate controls should be completely manually activated. What is so hard?

moeye 06-28-2006 02:08 AM

Useless trivia:

Refrigeration & A/C didn't really come around because there was a need to cool air or whatever.... it's original purpose was to remove moisture out of the air!

"And now you know the rest of the story."

kkim 06-28-2006 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by moeye
Useless trivia:

Refrigeration & A/C didn't really come around because there was a need to cool air or whatever.... it's original purpose was to remove moisture out of the air!

Yes, but shouldn't the a/c button on/off button function as one so you as an individual can decide if you want the a/c on or off? :confused: As delivered, you have no choice.

Can someone explain the logic behind that?

jake95825 06-28-2006 03:19 AM

It does mention it in the manual. I thought it was strange too, until I saw the manual.

07Fit00S2K 06-28-2006 03:41 AM

AC does not mean cold air conditioning. I have always used warm or cold AC to defrost my windows. Works great. All my cars automatically enabled AC when you selected defrost.

BKKJack 06-28-2006 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by moeye
Useless trivia:

"And now you know the rest of the story."

It's amazing what you can search for on google. http://www.rogersrefrig.com/history.html