Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: Aftermarket Fog Light Wiring To Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
DIY: Aftermarket Fog Light Wiring To Headlight

How many of you bought the aftermarket fog lights off ebay? Can't get them to work? This DIY will show you how. I have been running this set it for a few days, no issues. I did trial and error on all wires on the head light and figured out which was the low beam and how to wire.

This install will make sure your fog lights are on when you turn your lows beams on. No switch required.

What you will need:

1. Ratchet
2. Socket
3. Extension
4. Philips screw driver
5. Flat head screw driver
6. 10mm and possibly 12mm socket.
7. Wire splitter.

First things first:

1. Remove bumper. To do this remove the clips with a flat head and remove the two Philips screws in either side of the bumper.

2. Remove the head light. There are 4 10mm bolts. 2 on top, one on the side of the light near the bottom and one closest to the middle of the car. These are easy to spot and take off.

3. Unplug all lights out of housing. Oh and I hope your battery is off for this.

4. Now you will use the wire splitter to split the wires.

Red/blue - ground
Red/white - low
Red/yellow - high beam.

Name:  image.jpg1.jpg
Views: 2715
Size:  115.2 KB

In the picture provided, my black wire of fog ( grounding wire) goes to red/blue on headlight wire. The blue wire (positive) of the fog light should go to the red/white not red/yellow as shown. Photo that is shown, shows fog lights wired to the high beams as I did this as a mistake as this is trial and error. I fixed the issue and my phone died so I couldn't take a proper picture. You can solder the wires too if you wish. Will be doing that once it gets a bit warmer. This was done in -3 in my parking spot no shelter. Leave slack for the wires so they are not too tight going from head light to fog light.

5. Now put everything back together. Lights first thn bumper.

6. Your highbeam dash light will be on but dim. This signals that your fog lights are on with you low beams. If you use high beams the light will get much brighter on the dash so you know your high beams are on. Reason for this is that the fog lights ares drawing extra power and the dash just uses the high beam light. They will be wired correctly. If you turn your low beams on and the faint highbeam dash light is not on, neither will your fog lights. When using the high beams the dash light will be much brighter then what is shown in the pic.
Name:  image.jpg2.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  57.6 KB

Last edited by GinoLicious; 03-08-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks! Now I might finally order me some fog lights!