Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   08 Sport valve lash adjustment (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/89811-08-sport-valve-lash-adjustment.html)

R3born 06-10-2015 12:45 PM

08 Sport valve lash adjustment

Just bought the car w/152k miles. Sadly there was no maintenance history with it so Ive been doing a major tune up to be safe. One of the things I've seen is that they need a valve lashes checked and adjusted. So I took my car to a shop that I trust and asked about having this done. They told me that if it hasn't been done at this point then to not do it at all. The reasoning is that an adjustment now can cause more problems and lead to needing a new head. My question is if this holds merit?

spreadhead 06-10-2015 01:22 PM

No, NOT doing it can lead to a new head! :popc:

Carbuff2 06-11-2015 09:12 AM

Yep, ABSOLUTELY wrong.

Valve lash needs to be done periodically. If they are too tight, you will burn the valves and the valve seats in the head!

Money well spent IMO.

R3born 06-11-2015 09:25 AM

His rationale is that the pins used to adjust it could be worn and would cause more issues than if I don't have them adjusted. He said the only way he would do it is if I replace those and have him adjust them but says that it could cause more problems potentially.

He also started by saying that this engine doesn't require an adjustment.

Carbuff2 06-11-2015 09:43 AM

Obviously your trusted mechanic doesn't know Hondas. :ohnoes:

Valve adjustment is performed via adjusting bolts and locknuts. This hardware has ample adjustability for all common conditions, even if, for some reason, there is extra wear. (But there wouldn't be excessive wear if you are doing the recommended oil changes.)

Honda recommends a valvelash check at 110K miles, but many of us have found that more frequent checks are required.

Only engines with hydraulic lifters do not need adjustment. :eek3:

I'd get another shop that knows Hondas. Sorry... :mad:

Marrk 06-11-2015 10:00 AM

I agree with the above posts. Your mechanic is not making much sense. Perhaps he does not want to do the adjustment, or he wants all of these not very credible warnings up front, because he is not a very good mechanic.

By the way, you could learn to do this maintenance yourself. It looks scary at first, but, after the first time, you will understand that it is not a big deal.

Where are our Virginia people? Somebody buddy-up with this guy and help him learn to do this!

R3born 06-11-2015 02:10 PM

I'd love to learn to do this myself! I've seen the diy post here about it but I'm leery to go at it myself. I did all of my own work on my E36 M3 but nothing like this. There is a dealer here in town but they're charging upwards of $450 for the job (not sure if that's what to expect).

Carbuff2 06-11-2015 03:49 PM

an indie shop would be MUCH cheaper.

BUT, if you want to do it yourself:

The first time, allow a day. There are a lot of nuts and bolts involved, but otherwise it's not too difficult. No special tools or any parts required, except for a set of bent-finger shims. (~$6 at NAPA in the USA)

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...163_0293962664

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/Genu...ompany/1110663

Marrk 06-11-2015 07:01 PM

You could do it, but, I admit, the first time is daunting.

Check around. Maybe there's a fitfreaker not far from you. If you offer him beer in small, unmarked denominations (I'm looking at you, Carbuff2. :D), he'll help you.

R3born 06-12-2015 01:06 AM

I'm not sure who's close but I'll be in southern MD this weekend if anyone can meet up here to help me through the job. I don't have a 19mm socket or the shims but I do have all of my other tools. :)

Carbuff2 06-12-2015 07:34 AM

^^^ The lug nuts are 19mm. :eek3: Got your tire changing tools? :thumbups:

That is all you need for cranking the engine around to the various positions for each valve adjustment. ;)

R3born 06-13-2015 01:05 PM

Haha gotcha! And I'm actually closer to Frederick, MD, not southern MD... Forgot where I was haha.

Sylak 06-13-2015 10:39 PM

So what are the standard "symptom" that your car could use a Valve lash adjustment. any sign that can help you knowé My car is close t0 104 000 Km ( 65 000 Miles, since buying it new in April 2007, I don't use it that much, especially in the last 2.5 year). I'm curious to know If my car could benefit from this at this point. I don't know if I'll do it myself , but mechanics are expensive for this kind of job, I do trust mine t be able to do it, but money is short right now. I never did that on any car, but honda valve system are know to be their "specialty" . I know some BMW require this often too.

Also this thread could benefit from video and real picture, I have not found any on the web. But still pretty informative!

Carbuff2 06-14-2015 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sylak (Post 1309608)
So what are the standard "symptom" that your car could use a Valve lash adjustment. any sign that can help you knowé

The problem with out-of-adjustment valves is: usually you don't see a symptom until the 'consequences' have caused damage. (Mis-fires or stalling due to bad valves or seats requires cylinder head replacement or machine work) :ohnoes:

That is why checking the valve lash is specified as a preventative measure. And, it is important!

Our 81 Civic and 90 Accord specified checking valve clearance every 6K miles! :eek3: So consider yourself lucky that roller followers are now common on most solid-lifter engines... :wiggle:

Sylak 06-14-2015 03:42 PM

Ok thanks. I did look arounnd and I found couple of video of I-vtec/ other honda engines, RSX or accord v5 and L4. with a Before and After valve adjustement, did not find one for the fit, but in the before videos, in all of them, you do hear a clicking noise, that is non-present or really attenuated in the After part. This noise seems to be present in my engine. So, Not a 100% sign of it, but that seems to pointed in that direction. Also My MG did go up lately, My 205 tire are not resposible, since I had 205/55 15 tire before and the itre + wheel kit were 1-2 lbs heavier than My HFP 16" + G-max 205 50 16 setup. The bad spark plug problably had influence, but my MPG is still not really as it use to be. So that might be it.

I do have lot of free time this summer. I might look around to get all the informations I can find on how to do it correctly, and give it a shot.
I still will check with my mechanic thought, to see how much they could charge me, I do need a oil change soon PLUS my brake fluid is like 4 years old ( I got the front brake pad change 4 years ago) and My coolant has never been flushed. So I could do it all in one visit. ( I don't do jobs that include fluid, even thought I perfectly skilled for that, too messy and I'm really not equipped for that ).

R3born 06-21-2015 12:20 PM

Did the valve lash adjustment yesterday. Everything went well until the last bolt broke on the upper left of the valve cover. I don't have an easy out but I've read it'll come out fairly easily.

I checked and adjusted each valve and it seems to be making a little more noise now than before. Found another guy on here that had the same sound and it seems to be that it's normal for the fit. I'll find the link as soon as I can.

Carbuff2 06-21-2015 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by R3born (Post 1310391)

I checked and adjusted each valve and it seems to be making a little more noise now than before. Found another guy on here that had the same sound and it seems to be that it's normal for the fit.

The noise is normal for all cars with mechanical lifters, not just the Fit. Especially if you adjusted the exhausts to be on the loose side of specs, so that they would last longer before they tightened up again.

The slight tapping is the 'sound of happiness'. :nod: